PDA

View Full Version : Test

Katherine Burgess
July 23rd 03, 10:05 PM
There have been no posts since earlier this afternoon, and I can't believe
it, so I am trying now.
No need to reply.
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 23rd 03, 10:05 PM
OK, it is here, so I guess that everybody else has a life. <g>
Katherine

"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
> There have been no posts since earlier this afternoon, and I can't believe
> it, so I am trying now.
> No need to reply.
> Katherine

SlinkyToy
July 23rd 03, 10:24 PM
I just sat down to catch up

I have...

Spun and plied a bobbin of Corrie. One bump to go and I'll have the sweater
spun, then comes the hard part - knitting it!
Cleaned the boy's room and hauled two boxes of toys and a box of books to
the women's shelter resale store
Called UK to give over my CC info so that my new-old wheel can ship this
week

I'd like to...

Have a nap
And did I mention I'd like to have a nap? I don't see that happening,
however.

Must go collect the small boy!

"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
> There have been no posts since earlier this afternoon, and I can't believe
> it, so I am trying now.
> No need to reply.
> Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 23rd 03, 10:48 PM
Hmmm, a nap sounds good about now.
Katherine

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> I just sat down to catch up
>
> I have...
>
> Spun and plied a bobbin of Corrie. One bump to go and I'll have the
sweater
> spun, then comes the hard part - knitting it!
> Cleaned the boy's room and hauled two boxes of toys and a box of books to
> the women's shelter resale store
> Called UK to give over my CC info so that my new-old wheel can ship this
> week
>
> I'd like to...
>
> Have a nap
> And did I mention I'd like to have a nap? I don't see that happening,
> however.
>
> Must go collect the small boy!
>
> "Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
> > There have been no posts since earlier this afternoon, and I can't
believe
> > it, so I am trying now.
> > No need to reply.
> > Katherine

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 23rd 03, 10:57 PM
Posts do slow down in the summer time what with vacations and such. I was
off playing at the local yarn store and then going nuts at the orchard.
Bought 2 kinds of peaches, tiny plums, sweet cherries, a muskmelon, and 6
ears of corn. All for 2 people. ;) These newer varieties of sweet corn do
keep well in the fridge, so that's 3 nights with corn for supper. I knew I
was heading for the orchard, so I had my yarn set aside to come back later
when I realized how low I was on cash. Come to find out the orchard now
takes credit cards, so I could have brought the yarn home today, after all.
Oh well. The LYS will have my knit shopping bag on show as a model to sell
that pattern for a week, just so long as they don't sell the yarn in it!
She hung it up near the yarn it's made from.

| On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:05:58 -0300, "Katherine Burgess" > wrote:

>OK, it is here, so I guess that everybody else has a life. <g>
>Katherine
>
>"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
>> There have been no posts since earlier this afternoon, and I can't believe
>> it, so I am trying now.
>> No need to reply.
>> Katherine

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Katherine Burgess
July 24th 03, 02:25 AM
Gwen
I can't remember eating corn when we lived in Sydney. Somehow, I don't think
that Grandmama would have allowed it. <g>
It is great to be back. I have done the laundry, and plan to start serious
unpacking tomorrow. I have put away some small things, but have much to do!
Actually, it MAY wait until Friday, as the weather is supposed to be nice
tomorrow and raining on Friday, so that could be a better day for staying in
and unpacking.
Katherine

"G.Kelly" > wrote in message
> Katherine it is good to have you back. You make me drool - there is no
> corn like the North American corn - we have - and enjoy- our corn but
> compared to yours it should be given to the parrots !!! God Bless gwen
>
> --
>
> Gwen Kelly
>

> "Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
> > Yum! Sounds like you had a great day, Helen. We don't have corn yet, but
> > soon!
> > Katherine
> >
> > "Helen "Halla" Fleischer" > wrote in message
> > > Posts do slow down in the summer time what with vacations and such. I
> was
> > > off playing at the local yarn store and then going nuts at the
orchard.
> > > Bought 2 kinds of peaches, tiny plums, sweet cherries, a muskmelon,
and
> 6
> > > ears of corn. All for 2 people. ;) These newer varieties of sweet corn
> do
> > > keep well in the fridge, so that's 3 nights with corn for supper. I
knew
> > > was heading for the orchard, so I had my yarn set aside to come back
> later
> > > when I realized how low I was on cash. Come to find out the orchard
now
> > > takes credit cards, so I could have brought the yarn home today, after
> > all.
> > > Oh well. The LYS will have my knit shopping bag on show as a model to
> sell
> > > that pattern for a week, just so long as they don't sell the yarn in
it!
> > > She hung it up near the yarn it's made from.

> > believe
> > > >>

> > > Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> > > Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> > > http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

G.Kelly
July 24th 03, 02:47 AM
Katherine the worst part of a holiday is the unpacking !! Packing is fun
but unpacking? ugh!

I think back in pre and early post war years corn on the cob was simply not
heard of in Australia but our diet changed remarkably when all the New
Australians arrived after the war and I think corn on the cob was one of
the new ideas. However, either the growers do not have the same strains
or they leave it on the plant too long or something because it is never so
sweet and juicy as yours. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
> Gwen
> I can't remember eating corn when we lived in Sydney. Somehow, I don't
think
> that Grandmama would have allowed it. <g>
> It is great to be back. I have done the laundry, and plan to start serious
> unpacking tomorrow. I have put away some small things, but have much to
do!
> Actually, it MAY wait until Friday, as the weather is supposed to be nice
> tomorrow and raining on Friday, so that could be a better day for staying
in
> and unpacking.
> Katherine
>
> "G.Kelly" > wrote in message
> > Katherine it is good to have you back. You make me drool - there is
no
> > corn like the North American corn - we have - and enjoy- our corn but
> > compared to yours it should be given to the parrots !!! God Bless
gwen

> > --
> >
> > Gwen Kelly
> >

> > "Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
> > > Yum! Sounds like you had a great day, Helen. We don't have corn yet,
but
> > > soon!
> > > Katherine

> > was
> orchard.
> and
> > 6
> > do
> knew
> > later
> now
> > > all.
> > sell
> it!

> > > believe

Els van Dam
July 24th 03, 04:37 AM
In article >, "G.Kelly"
> wrote:

> Katherine it is good to have you back. You make me drool - there is no
> corn like the North American corn - we have - and enjoy- our corn but
> compared to yours it should be given to the parrots !!! God Bless gwen
>
> --
>
> Gwen Kelly

Sweet Gwen, you certainly had me laughing....you see that is just what
Otto thinks of corn....."chicken feed" I love it but we do not eat it
very often unles we have company......

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 24th 03, 04:38 AM
In article >, "Katherine
Burgess" > wrote:

> Gwen
> I can't remember eating corn when we lived in Sydney. Somehow, I don't think
> that Grandmama would have allowed it. <g>
> It is great to be back. I have done the laundry, and plan to start serious
> unpacking tomorrow. I have put away some small things, but have much to do!
> Actually, it MAY wait until Friday, as the weather is supposed to be nice
> tomorrow and raining on Friday, so that could be a better day for staying in
> and unpacking.
> Katherine

Ahh do I hear an excuse for not getting on with the unpacking....????

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 24th 03, 04:40 AM
In article >, "G.Kelly"
> wrote:

> Katherine the worst part of a holiday is the unpacking !! Packing is fun
> but unpacking? ugh!
>
> I think back in pre and early post war years corn on the cob was simply not
> heard of in Australia but our diet changed remarkably when all the New
> Australians arrived after the war and I think corn on the cob was one of
> the new ideas. However, either the growers do not have the same strains
> or they leave it on the plant too long or something because it is never so
> sweet and juicy as yours. God Bless Gwen
>
> --
>
> Gwen Kelly

Gwen we have the last 10 years or so a new variety of corn....called
peaches and cream, and to honest with you I do find it way to sweer, I
like the old varieties much better. They had a bit more character, and
were not so overly sweet

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Katherine Burgess
July 24th 03, 04:48 AM
"Els van Dam" wrote
, "Katherine> Burgess" wrote:

> > Gwen
> > I can't remember eating corn when we lived in Sydney. Somehow, I don't
think
> > that Grandmama would have allowed it. <g>
> > It is great to be back. I have done the laundry, and plan to start
serious
> > unpacking tomorrow. I have put away some small things, but have much to
do!
> > Actually, it MAY wait until Friday, as the weather is supposed to be
nice
> > tomorrow and raining on Friday, so that could be a better day for
staying in
> > and unpacking.
> > Katherine
>
> Ahh do I hear an excuse for not getting on with the unpacking....????

Well, no, not really! I just don't see any point in wasting a beautiful day
on staying indoors and sorting through suitcases. <g> It will rain on
Friday, and I can do it then.
Katherine
(Did that work as an explanation???)

G.Kelly
July 24th 03, 02:18 PM
Els , maybe this is the corn I ate so much of in the past ten years
travelling in your neck of the woods. Almost every day we would stop and
have a BBQ in a park or somewhere and *always* we had corn as one of our
vegies- I guess it might have been the sweet tooth in me that liked it so
much but whatever it was we could not help ourselves !!! Love and God
bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Els van Dam" > wrote in message
> In article >, "G.Kelly"
> > wrote:
>
> > Katherine the worst part of a holiday is the unpacking !! Packing is
fun
> > but unpacking? ugh!
> >
> > I think back in pre and early post war years corn on the cob was simply
not
> > heard of in Australia but our diet changed remarkably when all the New
> > Australians arrived after the war and I think corn on the cob was one
of
> > the new ideas. However, either the growers do not have the same
strains
> > or they leave it on the plant too long or something because it is never
so
> > sweet and juicy as yours. God Bless Gwen
> >
> > --
> >
> > Gwen Kelly
>
> Gwen we have the last 10 years or so a new variety of corn....called
> peaches and cream, and to honest with you I do find it way to sweer, I
> like the old varieties much better. They had a bit more character, and
> were not so overly sweet
>
> Els
>
> --
> delete doba to email me.....:=))

G.Kelly
July 24th 03, 02:24 PM
Well Els I am glad your company can enjoy it even if i cannot God Bless
Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Els van Dam" > wrote in message
> In article >, "G.Kelly"
> > wrote:
>
> > Katherine it is good to have you back. You make me drool - there is
no
> > corn like the North American corn - we have - and enjoy- our corn but
> > compared to yours it should be given to the parrots !!! God Bless
gwen

> > --
> >
> > Gwen Kelly
> >
> Sweet Gwen, you certainly had me laughing....you see that is just what
> Otto thinks of corn....."chicken feed" I love it but we do not eat it
> very often unles we have company......
>
> Els
>
> --
> delete doba to email me.....:=))

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 24th 03, 02:30 PM
| On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:47:40 GMT, "G.Kelly" > wrote:

>I think back in pre and early post war years corn on the cob was simply not
>heard of in Australia but our diet changed remarkably when all the New
>Australians arrived after the war and I think corn on the cob was one of
>the new ideas. However, either the growers do not have the same strains
>or they leave it on the plant too long or something because it is never so
>sweet and juicy as yours. God Bless Gwen

Could be both. The new sugar-enhanced and super-sweet varieties have up to
twice the sugar as the old Silver Queen and such. Even SQ was much sweeter
than the corn we had as young kids, if you ate it right away and it wasn't
left on the stalk too long. The sugar-enhanced will stay sweet about 3 days
after harvesting, and the super-sweets as much as a week.

Forcing this back to fiber, has anyone tried the new spinning fiber made
from corn, called Ingeo? I bought some at MD sheep & wool but haven't spun
it yet. Bought soy silk, too. I love that these fibers are made from the
leftovers of food production. Waste not, want not!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 24th 03, 02:48 PM
| On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:40:53 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>Gwen we have the last 10 years or so a new variety of corn....called
>peaches and cream, and to honest with you I do find it way to sweer, I
>like the old varieties much better. They had a bit more character, and
>were not so overly sweet

Costco now sells that variety as frozen kernels. In that form it's sweet
but not overwhelmingly so, and a wonderful addition to corn bread. I just
read in an article that the super-sweet varieties don't start to break
their sugars down into starch until 3-7 days after harvesting. Maybe if you
hold the ears you buy for a couple of days before you cook them, you can
get something more like you remember. My trick for having more corn taste
is to cook the ears with the husks mostly on. I just remove the outermost
husk, peel back the rest just enough to remove the worst of the silk, and
trim off any worm damage, then push it back in place and zap 2- 4 ears for
4-6 minutes, total, in the microwave. That's just enough to heat them
through, with the husk on. To eat, just peel back the husk and use that as
a handle. What's left of the silk comes off much more easily after it's
cooked. I don't bother with butter or salt, but DH still uses both. I've
become a real purist about not messing with the corn flavor as I age.
Cooking in the husk really enhances it. I think boiling leaches it away,
leaving only that sweetness.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 24th 03, 02:48 PM
| On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:48:01 -0300, "Katherine Burgess" > wrote:

>Well, no, not really! I just don't see any point in wasting a beautiful day
>on staying indoors and sorting through suitcases. <g> It will rain on
>Friday, and I can do it then.
>Katherine
>(Did that work as an explanation???)

Works for me, and your garden probably missed you, anyway.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Katherine Burgess
July 24th 03, 03:13 PM
Dam) wrote:

> >Gwen we have the last 10 years or so a new variety of corn....called
> >peaches and cream, and to honest with you I do find it way to sweer, I
> >like the old varieties much better. They had a bit more character, and
> >were not so overly sweet
> >
> Costco now sells that variety as frozen kernels. In that form it's sweet
> but not overwhelmingly so, and a wonderful addition to corn bread. I just
> read in an article that the super-sweet varieties don't start to break
> their sugars down into starch until 3-7 days after harvesting. Maybe if
you
> hold the ears you buy for a couple of days before you cook them, you can
> get something more like you remember. My trick for having more corn taste
> is to cook the ears with the husks mostly on. I just remove the outermost
> husk, peel back the rest just enough to remove the worst of the silk, and
> trim off any worm damage, then push it back in place and zap 2- 4 ears for
> 4-6 minutes, total, in the microwave. That's just enough to heat them
> through, with the husk on. To eat, just peel back the husk and use that as
> a handle. What's left of the silk comes off much more easily after it's
> cooked. I don't bother with butter or salt, but DH still uses both. I've
> become a real purist about not messing with the corn flavor as I age.
> Cooking in the husk really enhances it. I think boiling leaches it away,
> leaving only that sweetness.

Hmm, cooking in the husk??? Never tried that!
Thanks for the tip.
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 24th 03, 03:15 PM
"Katherine Burgess" wrote:

> >Well, no, not really! I just don't see any point in wasting a beautiful
day
> >on staying indoors and sorting through suitcases. <g> It will rain on
> >Friday, and I can do it then.
> >Katherine
> >(Did that work as an explanation???)
> >

> Works for me, and your garden probably missed you, anyway.

According to the latest forecast, the rain has been delayed until Saturday,
so I will get another day outside. Considering the length of our winters, I
really MUST soak up all the outdoor air I can while it will not freeze my
lungs. <g>
Luckily, there is nothing I desperately need in my luggage.
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 24th 03, 03:17 PM
"G.Kelly" wrote ...
> Els it does rather sound like Katherine has made a good excuse but I for
one
> cannot blame her. When we used to return after our year away we had a real
> mega job of unpacking - we travel very light but we had to unpack all out
> furniture and belongings which we would pack away before we left so that
we
> could rent our house. I did that for six trips but will never do it
again
> ! Enjoy the weather Katherine and unpack later

Thank you, Gwen. I knew someone would understand. <g>
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 24th 03, 03:17 PM
<g>
Katherine

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" > wrote in message
> 1000 points to you
> mirjam
> 0, "Katherine Burgess" > wrote:
>
> >There have been no posts since earlier this afternoon, and I can't
believe
> >it, so I am trying now.
> >No need to reply.
> >Katherine

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 24th 03, 07:04 PM
| On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:15:59 -0300, "Katherine Burgess" > wrote:

>> >(Did that work as an explanation???)
>> >
>> Works for me, and your garden probably missed you, anyway.
>
>According to the latest forecast, the rain has been delayed until Saturday,
>so I will get another day outside. Considering the length of our winters, I
>really MUST soak up all the outdoor air I can while it will not freeze my
>lungs. <g>
>Luckily, there is nothing I desperately need in my luggage.
>Katherine

I assume you've already unpacked your knitting. ;)

Speaking of soaking up outdoor air. It's so nice here, today, that I've
opened all the windows and set the attic fan going to pull that fresh air
into the house. Lovely!

I did need to do laundry, so while I was at it, I tried that felting trick
Els was talking about. What fun! I've made a pile of little, round, felt,
"cookies" out of wool combing waste and run the first of them through the
laundry with a load to firm it up a bit and see if it stayed nicely round.
It did, so the next load of laundry will have more of them in with it. I
don't want to wear out my hand, so I'll probably just make a few each wash
day until I have enough to put together into a felt "yo-yo" vest. I'm not
quite decided as to how I want to join then, but free-form crochet is
suggesting itself strongly.

Couldn't resist trying it on a bit of dryer lint, too, but the results were
not impressive. Too much cotton and not enough cat hair ;) so it's more
like really ugly paper than felt.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

G.Kelly
July 25th 03, 02:21 AM
Helen I usually cook it like you say - before I went to America I used to
boil it with all husk removed but then I went to Maine and had their lobster
served with the corn cooked with the husks on and I still drool over the
memory.

Keeping the corn a few days does not work either - really the problem is
that it is too hard - it would seem to me that it is left to ripen too
long -and as i said by that time better for the parrots.

However our tinned corn is great and I use it a lot but nothing can beat
corn on the cob - and I do not need the butter etc either !

Thanks for the tips Helen God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Dam) wrote:

> >Gwen we have the last 10 years or so a new variety of corn....called
> >peaches and cream, and to honest with you I do find it way to sweer, I
> >like the old varieties much better. They had a bit more character, and
> >were not so overly sweet
> >
> Costco now sells that variety as frozen kernels. In that form it's sweet
> but not overwhelmingly so, and a wonderful addition to corn bread. I just
> read in an article that the super-sweet varieties don't start to break
> their sugars down into starch until 3-7 days after harvesting. Maybe if
you
> hold the ears you buy for a couple of days before you cook them, you can
> get something more like you remember. My trick for having more corn taste
> is to cook the ears with the husks mostly on. I just remove the outermost
> husk, peel back the rest just enough to remove the worst of the silk, and
> trim off any worm damage, then push it back in place and zap 2- 4 ears for
> 4-6 minutes, total, in the microwave. That's just enough to heat them
> through, with the husk on. To eat, just peel back the husk and use that as
> a handle. What's left of the silk comes off much more easily after it's
> cooked. I don't bother with butter or salt, but DH still uses both. I've
> become a real purist about not messing with the corn flavor as I age.
> Cooking in the husk really enhances it. I think boiling leaches it away,
> leaving only that sweetness.
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 25th 03, 04:06 AM
| On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:21:22 GMT, "G.Kelly" > wrote:

>Helen I usually cook it like you say - before I went to America I used to
>boil it with all husk removed but then I went to Maine and had their lobster
>served with the corn cooked with the husks on and I still drool over the
>memory.

It's heaven and in the micro it cooks so quickly that it's never dry or
tough. Trick is not to over-cook it of course.

>Keeping the corn a few days does not work either - really the problem is
>that it is too hard - it would seem to me that it is left to ripen too
>long -and as i said by that time better for the parrots.

No, that would only work for those who find the new varieties too sweet.
Quite the opposite of your problem!

>However our tinned corn is great and I use it a lot but nothing can beat
>corn on the cob - and I do not need the butter etc either !

Fresh is always best!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 25th 03, 04:45 AM
In article >, "G.Kelly"
> wrote:

> Els it does rather sound like Katherine has made a good excuse but I for one
> cannot blame her. When we used to return after our year away we had a real
> mega job of unpacking - we travel very light but we had to unpack all out
> furniture and belongings which we would pack away before we left so that we
> could rent our house. I did that for six trips but will never do it again
> ! Enjoy the weather Katherine and unpack later **!!@@@ Love and God
> Bless Gwen

hummmmmm that is two agains one, i better come for the walk in the sun
after al....

Els who alsways unpacks right away...well nearly always.....Ok Ok....

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 25th 03, 04:51 AM

> Forcing this back to fiber, has anyone tried the new spinning fiber made
> from corn, called Ingeo? I bought some at MD sheep & wool but haven't spun
> it yet. Bought soy silk, too. I love that these fibers are made from the
> leftovers of food production. Waste not, want not!

I have not seen or tried it yet, but a weaving and spinning friend here
has, and she found that the corn silk would not be dyed easely. So I
asked what part of the plant the silk came from and she did not know, do
you know Helen.

I have not tried the soy silk either, I am very allergic to soy products,
neat to be able to spin with it without getting sick. You have no idea
how many foods are prepared with soy oil and it is not listed on the label
of the package. Oh well, making most of your own food from scrach is a
good way sailing around that one, but sometimes it is nice to just not
have to worry about it and eat that cookie or cracker. chocolate, or
icecream the list is endless.

Els

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 25th 03, 04:55 AM
In article >, "G.Kelly"
> wrote:

> Helen let us know how this fibre works out and what you do with it - I love
> the waste not things.
> In Tofino BC I saw jackets made form the fibre made from plastic bottles -
> and this continues to amaze me - they just looked and felt like any warm
> polyester type jacket God Bless Gwen

Oh yes Gwen, fibers made from old pop bottles is like a man made fiber. I
friend here could not wear wool so she though she would buy some of that
new fiber.....she ended up with a bale of the stuff and is now in business
selling it, She dyes it and cards it and sells it to spinner. You can
blend it in with wool for sock yarn etc etc etc. I have not worked with
it, but many of or Guild members swear by it. The correct name of it has
slipped my mind.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 25th 03, 02:31 PM
| On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:26:33 GMT, "G.Kelly" > wrote:

>Helen let us know how this fibre works out and what you do with it - I love
>the waste not things.
>In Tofino BC I saw jackets made form the fibre made from plastic bottles -
>and this continues to amaze me - they just looked and felt like any warm
>polyester type jacket God Bless Gwen

Quite a lot of the fleece type polyester is made from recycled bottles, I
understand. I find it amazing. I really should clear off a bobbin so I can
give that stuff a try. I bought some soy silk and some tencel at the same
time and haven't tried that either. Been more into knitting than spinning
this year.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 25th 03, 02:38 PM
| On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:51:01 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>I have not seen or tried it yet, but a weaving and spinning friend here
>has, and she found that the corn silk would not be dyed easely. So I
>asked what part of the plant the silk came from and she did not know, do
>you know Helen.

A would assume that the corn fiber would be cellulose, but I have been
told that the soy stuff is a protein fiber and dyes with acid. There may be
web info on it, but the info page I got when I bought it didn't specify on
the corn.

>I have not tried the soy silk either, I am very allergic to soy products,
>neat to be able to spin with it without getting sick. You have no idea
>how many foods are prepared with soy oil and it is not listed on the label
>of the package. Oh well, making most of your own food from scrach is a
>good way sailing around that one, but sometimes it is nice to just not
>have to worry about it and eat that cookie or cracker. chocolate, or
>icecream the list is endless.

Oh, I have a glimmer of an idea! There was a gal in my old machine knitting
group who was very allergic to soy. It was very tricky to bring pot luck
that she could eat. Even things that just say "vegetable oil" have to be
suspected. If I made butter cookies I would scour the cookie sheet first to
get off any residue of no-stick spray, in case it had soy oil in it. I'm
very glad I don't have that particular food problem. Coping with avoiding
migraine triggers is about as much as I want to deal with.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Katherine Burgess
July 25th 03, 06:13 PM
Els,
I never thought about all the things which contain soy. On the bright side,
it will prevent you from eating too much junk - cookies and ice cream. <g>
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 25th 03, 06:14 PM
"Els van Dam" wrote
"Katherine> Burgess" wrote:

> > Well, no, not really! I just don't see any point in wasting a beautiful
day
> > on staying indoors and sorting through suitcases. <g> It will rain on
> > Friday, and I can do it then.
> > Katherine
> > (Did that work as an explanation???)
>
> Only if it rains buckets on Friday.......LOL

Well, it IS raining! So here I am, indoors, and about to go upstairs and
start unpacking.
Wish me luck.
Katherine

Els van Dam
July 25th 03, 09:30 PM
In article >, "Katherine
Burgess" > wrote:

> Els,
> I never thought about all the things which contain soy. On the bright side,
> it will prevent you from eating too much junk - cookies and ice cream. <g>
> Katherine

right......:=((((((((((

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 25th 03, 09:32 PM
In article >, "Katherine
Burgess" > wrote:

> "Els van Dam" wrote
> "Katherine> Burgess" wrote:
> >

> > > Well, no, not really! I just don't see any point in wasting a beautiful
> day
> > > on staying indoors and sorting through suitcases. <g> It will rain on
> > > Friday, and I can do it then.
> > > Katherine
> > > (Did that work as an explanation???)
> >
> > Only if it rains buckets on Friday.......LOL
>
> Well, it IS raining! So here I am, indoors, and about to go upstairs and
> start unpacking.
> Wish me luck.
> Katherine

Katherine.....I do enjoy unpacking al the goodies I buy when I am in
Toronto, the unpacking takes a long time, because i get very much involved
with reading and trying out things......So kiddo have a very good time
unpacking...

Yes you are allowed a cup of coffee, or a snack....no dwaddeling after
that though.....LOL

els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 25th 03, 11:49 PM
In article >, "Katherine
Burgess" > wrote:

> > > Well, it IS raining! So here I am, indoors, and about to go upstairs and
> > > start unpacking.
> > > Wish me luck.
> > > Katherine
> >
> > Katherine.....I do enjoy unpacking al the goodies I buy when I am in
> > Toronto, the unpacking takes a long time, because i get very much involved
> > with reading and trying out things......So kiddo have a very good time
> > unpacking...
> >
> > Yes you are allowed a cup of coffee, or a snack....no dwaddeling after
> > that though.....LOL
>
> Most of it is done now. Still not all put away, but I hope to finish after
> dinner. However, it seems as though the rain may have stopped, so I might go
> for a walk at some point.
> Keith is working in his room now - I am afraid to look. This is the room
> where he keeps his drums and guitars, and it worries me when he starts
> moving things around. <g>
> Katherine

Can only be fun when it are drums and guitars....sound to me like a
party.....LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Katherine Burgess
July 26th 03, 03:35 AM
"Els van Dam" > wrote
"Katherine Burgess" wrote:

> > Most of it is done now. Still not all put away, but I hope to finish
after
> > dinner. However, it seems as though the rain may have stopped, so I
might go
> > for a walk at some point.
> > Keith is working in his room now - I am afraid to look. This is the room
> > where he keeps his drums and guitars, and it worries me when he starts
> > moving things around. <g>
> > Katherine
>
> Can only be fun when it are drums and guitars....sound to me like a
> party.....LOL

It could be. Would you like to join us?
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 26th 03, 03:36 AM
"Els van Dam" wrote
"Katherine> Burgess" wrote:

> > "Els van Dam" > wrote ...

> > > Oh Oh does that mean you have to start to clean up old stashes, and
make
> > > room for the new...meer werk aan de winkel.......More work in the
store
> > > for you
> >
> > Yes! Much more work in store!!! Would you like to come and help? <g>
> > Katherine
>
> Now that sounds like a great idea....can try the cucumber sandwiches as
> well......although, I may be more of a hindrance than a help, most likely
> set you off on all kinds of fiber adventures. Always fun to fool around
> withsomeone elses stash.....LOL...so wait for me......

Keith can entertain us while we work. Sounds great!
Katherine

Els van Dam
July 26th 03, 06:16 AM
In article >, "Katherine
Burgess" > wrote:

> "Els van Dam" > wrote
> "Katherine Burgess" wrote:
> > >
> > > Most of it is done now. Still not all put away, but I hope to finish
> after
> > > dinner. However, it seems as though the rain may have stopped, so I
> might go
> > > for a walk at some point.
> > > Keith is working in his room now - I am afraid to look. This is the room
> > > where he keeps his drums and guitars, and it worries me when he starts
> > > moving things around. <g>
> > > Katherine
> >
> > Can only be fun when it are drums and guitars....sound to me like a
> > party.....LOL
>
> It could be. Would you like to join us?

as long as you do not sk me to sing....can't hold a tune....LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Katherine Burgess
July 26th 03, 03:11 PM
"Norma" wrote ...
> Hi, Katherine, Glad you're back home. By any chance was there a small
> package waiting for you?

There were two packages, Norma. One from my Secret Pal, with maple syrup
recipes, and one from Els with a book for me and one for Kandace. I posted
to my pal that same day - which would have been Monday, and I believe that I
posted to Els the same day. Are YOU my secret pal????
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 26th 03, 03:11 PM
"Els van Dam" wrote
>, "Katherine> Burgess" wrote:

> > after
> > might go
> > >
> > > Can only be fun when it are drums and guitars....sound to me like a
> > > party.....LOL
> >
> > It could be. Would you like to join us?
>
> as long as you do not sk me to sing....can't hold a tune....LOL

No time for singing, Els! We have too much work to do. <g>
Katherine

Norma
July 26th 03, 09:15 PM
"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message

> "Norma" wrote ...
> > Hi, Katherine, Glad you're back home. By any chance was there a small
> > package waiting for you?
>
> There were two packages, Norma. One from my Secret Pal, with maple syrup
> recipes, and one from Els with a book for me and one for Kandace. I posted
> to my pal that same day - which would have been Monday, and I believe that
> posted to Els the same day. Are YOU my secret pal????
> Katherine
>
> WHO, ME!!!!???

I guess not all of the postings are coming thru. I just did a search and
they don't show for that day. Curious!

Katherine Burgess
July 27th 03, 01:02 AM
"Norma" wrote...

> "Katherine Burgess" > wrote > >
> > "Norma" wrote ...
> > > Hi, Katherine, Glad you're back home. By any chance was there a small
> > > package waiting for you?
> >
> > There were two packages, Norma. One from my Secret Pal, with maple syrup
> > recipes, and one from Els with a book for me and one for Kandace. I
posted
> > to my pal that same day - which would have been Monday, and I believe
that
> > posted to Els the same day. Are YOU my secret pal????
> > Katherine
> >
> > WHO, ME!!!!???
>
> I guess not all of the postings are coming thru. I just did a search and
> they don't show for that day. Curious!

YES, YOU!!!! <g>
Katherine (Coincidentally, a friend gave us some home-tapped maple syrup
while we were in Nova Scotia, so this was good timing.)

Norma
July 27th 03, 02:20 AM
snip<
> YES, YOU!!!! <g>
> Katherine (Coincidentally, a friend gave us some home-tapped maple syrup
> while we were in Nova Scotia, so this was good timing.)
>snip<

Katherine, Well, I know it's a bit early, but I'll fess up. You are right,
I'm it. I hope you can use a recipe out of the book for your maple syrup.
They did look good (even for one who hates to cook). I really didn't want to
let on, but I did want to know if you received the things I had sent, and
unfortunately, your postings weren't showing up on my newsreader.

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)

Norma
July 27th 03, 04:29 AM
> LOL Actually, Norma, I kind of figured you were mine from the beginning.
> Don't know why, but I had that feeling. <g>
> Thanks heaps.
> Katherine
>
> Well, darn! I will have to practise up on my sneakiness before the next
round! LOL
--
Star love,
Norma ;-)

Katherine Burgess
July 27th 03, 05:46 AM
"Norma" wrote >
> > LOL Actually, Norma, I kind of figured you were mine from the beginning.
> > Don't know why, but I had that feeling. <g>
> > Thanks heaps.
> > Katherine
> >
> > Well, darn! I will have to practise up on my sneakiness before the next
> round! LOL

<g>
Hugs,
Katherine