PDA

View Full Version : If I invent a stitch, can I name it?

Laurie
July 22nd 03, 06:19 PM
Actually, I highly doubt I invented it. ;-)

I finished my first knitting project and I LOVED how it turned out. I
was having a really hard time with gauge (I knit SO tight) that I got
some beautiful hand dyed chunky wool from Uraguay to knit a simple
scarf. It has the most beautiful blues, golds, purples, browns,
greens, etc. And I love how the size changes. Fat and fluffy to
almost a cord. I used big needles (I have big mits, the big needles
just feel better), size 11.

I experimented with different things like ribbing, etc. to see what
looked nicest with that wool. What I thought was a plain stockinette
stitch was nicest. Really let the colors of the wool shine through.
I tried to do a little ribbing at the bottom of the scarf but it
didn't work. What I ended up with was a mish mash of knitting that
ended up looking cool. So I left it and just did the same thing on
the other end.

So I proudly take it into my class last night and the teacher looked
at it kind of funny. "How did you get these Xs?" Um, what Xs? Well,
I was doing my knit stitch all wrong. I went in through the back of
the loop and grabbing the yarn in an upward scoop. It twisted the
stitch so the long side of the loop is in back. My purl stitch was
fine but it made these Xs instead of the neat rows of Vs. The teacher
showed me how to do it right and set me down with another skein of the
same yarn (different colors, purples and greens). But I gotta tell
you, I don't like it with that yarn near as much as my crazy X stitch
with the funny, bobbly looking ribbing I tried. It is a very festive
scarf. I took pictures but you guys probably know what I did and how
it looks.

I obediently did the scarf the right way in front of the teacher, but
I'm gonna pull it all out and do my goofy stuff again. At least with
this kind of yarn I like it a whole lot better.

What is the name of the stitch I stumbled on. Besides "wrong" ;-)

Laurie (now you know...I'm a renegade knitter)
Washougal, WA

Allaya Diep
July 22nd 03, 06:49 PM
LOL - I used to do the SAME thing! I tried to teach myself from a book, and
that's just the way the hands in the picture looked like they were doing it!
:)

That will probably help with your tight knitting as well...as soon as I
learned how to do it the "right" way, the tension in my yarn went way down,
and it looks *almost* normal now. :)

Sometimes, twisting the stitch is actually desired...it adds strength to the
fabric. I can't think of any patterns off hand that call for it, but I'm
sure that you'll find some out there if you look for them. So you see, you
weren't knitting "wrong," you were just knitting with a different technique!
lol

Allaya

"Laurie" > wrote in message
om...
> Actually, I highly doubt I invented it. ;-)
>
> I finished my first knitting project and I LOVED how it turned out. I
> was having a really hard time with gauge (I knit SO tight) that I got
> some beautiful hand dyed chunky wool from Uraguay to knit a simple
> scarf. It has the most beautiful blues, golds, purples, browns,
> greens, etc. And I love how the size changes. Fat and fluffy to
> almost a cord. I used big needles (I have big mits, the big needles
> just feel better), size 11.
>
> I experimented with different things like ribbing, etc. to see what
> looked nicest with that wool. What I thought was a plain stockinette
> stitch was nicest. Really let the colors of the wool shine through.
> I tried to do a little ribbing at the bottom of the scarf but it
> didn't work. What I ended up with was a mish mash of knitting that
> ended up looking cool. So I left it and just did the same thing on
> the other end.
>
> So I proudly take it into my class last night and the teacher looked
> at it kind of funny. "How did you get these Xs?" Um, what Xs? Well,
> I was doing my knit stitch all wrong. I went in through the back of
> the loop and grabbing the yarn in an upward scoop. It twisted the
> stitch so the long side of the loop is in back. My purl stitch was
> fine but it made these Xs instead of the neat rows of Vs. The teacher
> showed me how to do it right and set me down with another skein of the
> same yarn (different colors, purples and greens). But I gotta tell
> you, I don't like it with that yarn near as much as my crazy X stitch
> with the funny, bobbly looking ribbing I tried. It is a very festive
> scarf. I took pictures but you guys probably know what I did and how
> it looks.
>
> I obediently did the scarf the right way in front of the teacher, but
> I'm gonna pull it all out and do my goofy stuff again. At least with
> this kind of yarn I like it a whole lot better.
>
> What is the name of the stitch I stumbled on. Besides "wrong" ;-)
>
> Laurie (now you know...I'm a renegade knitter)
> Washougal, WA

SlinkyToy
July 22nd 03, 06:59 PM
Fisherman's rib is a classic that uses a twisted knit stitch:

First row/round: k1p1 around
Second row/round: k1tbl, p1 around

The twisted stitch on alternate rows adds definition to the ribbing and
makes it springier.

Travelling stitch patterns also use twisted stitch to achieve definition of
the travelling patterns.

"Allaya Diep" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > stitch so the long side of the loop is in back. My purl stitch was
> > fine but it made these Xs instead of the neat rows of Vs. The teacher
> > showed me how to do it right and set me down with another skein of the
> > same yarn (different colors, purples and greens). But I gotta tell
> > you, I don't like it with that yarn near as much as my crazy X stitch
> > with the funny, bobbly looking ribbing I tried. It is a very festive
> > scarf. I took pictures but you guys probably know what I did and how
> > it looks.
> >
> > I obediently did the scarf the right way in front of the teacher, but
> > I'm gonna pull it all out and do my goofy stuff again. At least with
> > this kind of yarn I like it a whole lot better.
> >
> > What is the name of the stitch I stumbled on. Besides "wrong" ;-)
> >
> > Laurie (now you know...I'm a renegade knitter)

Allaya Diep
July 22nd 03, 07:18 PM
w00t! Slinky comes through again! :D

Allaya

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
> > > stitch so the long side of the loop is in back. My purl stitch was
> > > fine but it made these Xs instead of the neat rows of Vs. The teacher
> > > showed me how to do it right and set me down with another skein of the
> > > same yarn (different colors, purples and greens). But I gotta tell
> > > you, I don't like it with that yarn near as much as my crazy X stitch
> > > with the funny, bobbly looking ribbing I tried. It is a very festive
> > > scarf. I took pictures but you guys probably know what I did and how
> > > it looks.
> > >
> > > I obediently did the scarf the right way in front of the teacher, but
> > > I'm gonna pull it all out and do my goofy stuff again. At least with
> > > this kind of yarn I like it a whole lot better.
> > >
> > > What is the name of the stitch I stumbled on. Besides "wrong" ;-)
> > >
> > > Laurie (now you know...I'm a renegade knitter)

NoraBalcer
July 22nd 03, 07:55 PM
Laurie,

I would love to see a picture as it sounds unique.

Hugs,

Nora

Lucille
July 23rd 03, 02:51 PM
Hey Mirjam--don't tease me like this. How do you cast on in single crochet?
I've been crocheting forever and I never knew any way but to do a chain.

Please, please, please share. It sounds intriguing.

Lucille

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" > wrote in message
> Allaya I think we all learned some by looking [copying ???] some bu
> asking and been shwn and some from books ,,
> for instance i taught myself from a book , would it sound bettter if i
> write Helped by a book [ hahahah] how to crochet cast on in single
> crochet [ Usa term] Double Crochet and even treble Crochet ,,, it
> really changed my work methods ,, the `regular` traditional cast on in
> chain stich i learned when i was 4 0r 5 , from a person in whose house
> i lived at the time ,used it happily for 50 years and now am the
> richer becuase of this book`s help ,
> Inventing a new stich? is that possible maybe yes ? maybe it has
> already been found somewhere around the globe ??? who knows ?
> mirjam

Lucille
July 23rd 03, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the website Carol,

I've been crocheting a long time, and my mother and grandmother for a long
time before me, and I never saw it done that way before. It certainly
doesn't look too complicated, especially when you're casting on a lot of
stitches and if you're like me you lose count several times.

I'm going to try it before I put away the print out and forget where it is.

Lucille

"MouseCLP" > wrote in message
> >Hey Mirjam--don't tease me like this. How do you cast on in single
crochet?
> >I've been crocheting forever and I never knew any way but to do a chain.
> >
> >Please, please, please share. It sounds intriguing.
>
> Here's a website with instructions to do the dc cast on (or foundation
stitch).
> The third "dot" has instructions for the sc cast on.
>
> http://members.aol.com/Sbaycgoa/foundatn.htm
>
> I like to use this method for variegated yarns since the beginning chain
method
> makes such an obviously different color pattern from the rest of the
project.
> Hope that helps some.
>
> Still stitchin' and smilin'
> Carol in (hot, humid) SC