PDA

View Full Version : Regarding scissors on planes

Noreen's Knit*che
July 19th 03, 03:43 PM
I have a pendant that I wear around my neck for snipping thread and
yarns.
The pendant is 2 inches.
They usually run about $7 to $8, right now Mary Maxim has a special on
them, a set of two for $10.99.
Page 69 Fall 2003; G; Item #6284.
http://www.marymaxim.com
1-800-962-9504
HTH,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447

http://www.myegroups.com
Group Code:
3258C1
Picot Page

Group Code:
32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins.

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/picot-page
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eTat-eCrochet-eKnit-etc
http://messageboard466928.aimoo.com

spampot
July 19th 03, 07:02 PM
Els van Dam wrote:
> In article >,
> wrote:
>

>>I have a pendant that I wear around my neck for snipping thread and
>>yarns.
>>The pendant is 2 inches.
>>They usually run about $7 to $8, right now Mary Maxim has a special on
>>them, a set of two for $10.99.
>>Page 69 Fall 2003; G; Item #6284.
>>http://www.marymaxim.com
>>1-800-962-9504
>>HTH,
>>Noreen
>

> Well Noreen, even when the States have stopped being silly about knitting
> needles, crochet hooks, and scissors, Canada has dug in it heels and
> anything at all with sharp point, sharp edges, is a no, no aboard a
> plane. I can't see that they would alowe that. Silly Billies.....LOL
>
> Els

Well, Els, I've seen the pendant Noreen mentions (it's available from
Patternworks as well, I think) and since the sharp edges are no more
than a millimeter or two wide, and set well back from the edge of the
pendant, I can't believe even airport security would forbid them -- if
by some remote chance the security personnel even recognized what they were!

Noreen's Knit*che
July 19th 03, 09:56 PM
In article >,
says...

> Well Noreen, even when the States have stopped being silly about knitting
> needles, crochet hooks, and scissors, Canada has dug in it heels and
> anything at all with sharp point, sharp edges, is a no, no aboard a
> plane. I can't see that they would alowe that. Silly Billies.....LOL
>
> Els

But, Els, no one knows the "sharp" is even there, it's inside the
pendant!
That's the beauty of it!
HTH,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

http://www.myegroups.com
Group Code:
3258C1
Picot Page

Group Code:
32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins.

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/picot-page
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eTat-eCrochet-eKnit-etc
http://messageboard466928.aimoo.com

Els van Dam
July 20th 03, 12:04 AM
In article >, spampot > wrote:

> Well, Els, I've seen the pendant Noreen mentions (it's available from
> Patternworks as well, I think) and since the sharp edges are no more
> than a millimeter or two wide, and set well back from the edge of the
> pendant, I can't believe even airport security would forbid them -- if
> by some remote chance the security personnel even recognized what they were!

I looked at the pendant as well, and even tough you can;t see the sharp
edge the xray machinery would, and if there is nobody who brings you to
the airport it is something you are going to loose, better save than
sorry, I guess.

We have just started with special government security, and special new
machinery as well as new rules
(May). I have been asked to take my hearing aids out of my ears and make
them squeel. There was something else in my bag and I had to remove every
thing and show what it was.....sorry can't recall what it was, but it
certainly was harmless.

What harm can I do with a nail clipper for heaven sakes.....lost those as
well....No I will not even try it. Anything at all that is sharp goes in
my suitcase and I will do without during the flight.

It is not the end of the world, I do a lot of reading and kumihimo
braiding, and relaxing...ha, ha so far as that is possible at all during a
flight.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Noreen's Knit*che
July 20th 03, 12:22 AM
In article >,
says...
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > In article >, says...
> >
> > > Well, Els, I've seen the pendant Noreen mentions (it's available from
> > > Patternworks as well, I think) and since the sharp edges are no more
> > > than a millimeter or two wide, and set well back from the edge of the
> > > pendant, I can't believe even airport security would forbid them -- if
> > > by some remote chance the security personnel even recognized what they were!
> > >

> > Thanks, Spampot, that's the point I was 'trying' to make, grin!!
> > Hugs,
> > Noreen
>
> Noreen thanks as well for bringing it to my attention. The new security
> folks are like hawks and let nothing slip through their finger.....But
> maybe when I fly the next time the have become a little bit more
> complacent as well, who knows. As long as an 67 old person has to show
> that her hearing aids are no bombs...forget it......
>
> Brooms are becoming more and more attractive....... LOL
>
> Els

Yes, agreed, after reading about having to take out hearing aids, I guess
a 'sharp' security agent might very well catch the pendant thing.
Too bad, I was hoping I found a solution for our northern neighbors!!!
Hugs,
Noreen
who is waxing her broom as well........LOL
--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

G.Kelly
July 20th 03, 08:51 AM
Els I guess that may be alright but we are getting very strict here now -
last week a passenger here stabbed the passenger next to him with a fork !!!
so from now on absolutely no metal objects and certainly no metal cutlery
will be allowed - I even had nail clippers taken !! God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Els van Dam" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > I have a pendant that I wear around my neck for snipping thread and
> > yarns.
> > The pendant is 2 inches.
> > They usually run about $7 to $8, right now Mary Maxim has a special on
> > them, a set of two for $10.99.
> > Page 69 Fall 2003; G; Item #6284.
> > http://www.marymaxim.com
> > 1-800-962-9504
> > HTH,
> > Noreen
>
> Well Noreen, even when the States have stopped being silly about knitting
> needles, crochet hooks, and scissors, Canada has dug in it heels and
> anything at all with sharp point, sharp edges, is a no, no aboard a
> plane. I can't see that they would alowe that. Silly Billies.....LOL
>
> Els
>
> --
> delete doba to email me.....:=))

J. Koster
July 20th 03, 08:06 PM
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>
>>Well Noreen, even when the States have stopped being silly about knitting
>>needles, crochet hooks, and scissors, Canada has dug in it heels and
>>anything at all with sharp point, sharp edges, is a no, no aboard a
>>plane. I can't see that they would alowe that. Silly Billies.....LOL
>>
>>Els
>>

> But, Els, no one knows the "sharp" is even there, it's inside the
> pendant!
> That's the beauty of it!
> HTH,
> Noreen

And long before they began allowing knitting needles and crochet hooks
and blunt scissors back on the planes in the US, they DID approve the
Clover Pendant cutter - I don't recall who, but someone of my
acquaintance had asked specifically about them, and got the okay, since
the blade is fused inside the pendant. Long before you could get them
out do damage with them, you'd be noted as being suspicious trying to
pry them out!

Joan

--
Gone fibernatin'.

spampot
July 20th 03, 11:59 PM
J. Koster wrote:
> Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...
>>
>>> Well Noreen, even when the States have stopped being silly about
>>> knitting
>>> needles, crochet hooks, and scissors, Canada has dug in it heels and
>>> anything at all with sharp point, sharp edges, is a no, no aboard a
>>> plane. I can't see that they would alowe that. Silly Billies.....LOL
>>>
>>> Els
>>>

>> But, Els, no one knows the "sharp" is even there, it's inside the
>> pendant!
>> That's the beauty of it!
>> HTH,
>> Noreen
>>

> And long before they began allowing knitting needles and crochet hooks
> and blunt scissors back on the planes in the US, they DID approve the
> Clover Pendant cutter - I don't recall who, but someone of my
> acquaintance had asked specifically about them, and got the okay, since
> the blade is fused inside the pendant. Long before you could get them
> out do damage with them, you'd be noted as being suspicious trying to
> pry them out!
>
> Joan

Sorta like that guy trying to set his shoes on fire on the planr. I
can't believe he thought no one would notice THAT!

Shillelagh
July 21st 03, 01:36 PM
"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message

> Yes, agreed, after reading about having to take out hearing aids, I guess
> a 'sharp' security agent might very well catch the pendant thing.
> Too bad, I was hoping I found a solution for our northern neighbors!!!
> Hugs,
> Noreen

You could wear it under a blouse or??? I don't think they'd know what it
was.

Shelagh

Noreen's Knit*che
July 21st 03, 01:39 PM
In article >,
says...

> And long before they began allowing knitting needles and crochet hooks
> and blunt scissors back on the planes in the US, they DID approve the
> Clover Pendant cutter - I don't recall who, but someone of my
> acquaintance had asked specifically about them, and got the okay, since
> the blade is fused inside the pendant. Long before you could get them
> out do damage with them, you'd be noted as being suspicious trying to
> pry them out!
>
> Joan

Thanks, Joan!
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

Els van Dam
July 21st 03, 06:48 PM
In article >, "Shillelagh"
> wrote:

> "Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
> > >
> > Yes, agreed, after reading about having to take out hearing aids, I guess
> > a 'sharp' security agent might very well catch the pendant thing.
> > Too bad, I was hoping I found a solution for our northern neighbors!!!
> > Hugs,
> > Noreen
>
> You could wear it under a blouse or??? I don't think they'd know what it
> was.
>
> Shelagh

You do have to go through the scanner and the dam(n) thing would go off
and every one stops what they are doing when you are asked to show what it
is that is making that noise.....

No way that is not going to happen to me again....It happend onceto me. I
had my felting needles and my scissors stuffed in my empty salmon cooling
bag on the way home from Toronto. You are the center point in a very
bussy airport I tell you. I stuffed everything back in my little cooling
bag, turned around and walked back to checkincounter and handed the bag
over. The person at the checkin desk....AirCanada...need I say more, had
only told me minutes before that I had to pay $80 extra for that little
bag, since it was a third bag and I was only allowed 2 bags.that was the
reason I had the bag with my hand luggage in the first place. I slammed
the bag on the counter and asked her how I could pay her. She looked at
me and the bag and relented and put it through without payment. However I
was not in the clear yet. When I came back to security...there are about
six different lanes to pick from, I was send on to the last one and they
were waiting for me. To very big and I must say hadnsome guys stood there
with a straight faces. All the other stations stopped what they were
doing and all had a smile on their face. I was totally searched had to
unpack everything and made my hearing aids work with both the remotes. It
is funny now, but I was boiling at that point, for being so stupid. Once
I was through they all laughed, "look at this little old lady.......".

Els from now on tries to toe the line and really tries to not have any of
that stuff in her carry on bag. Even so I had my nice little scissors in
my kumihimo bag boarding in Victoria once This time they were very kind
about it and let me mail it back to myself. Was Otto surpriced to get the
scissors in the mail...ha, ha. See I am still hot under the
collar......LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

CMM PDX2
July 21st 03, 09:33 PM
Joining in here, back to knitting needles info...just to show you can't depend
on *anything*, except maybe, "It's not allowed."

I'm making a trip to LA from Portland in September. Checked out the TSA, PDX,
and LAX webpages. Results:

TSA - knitting needles are allowed in carry-on.

PDX - ditto

LAX - *not* allowed in carry-on, must be in checked baggage.

United Airlines - which I'm flying both ways - not specified, at least that I
could find.

So, theoretically, I could knit from PDX to LAX, but *not* from LAX to PDX, and
heck, on the flight down, once I got *into* LAX, they might have a hissy fit
anyway-- ::throws hands up in air::

Scissors, when mentioned, were permissible if they were blunt-pointed metal, or
plastic, by both the TSA and PDX; but I can't remember what LAX or UA said
about 'em.

At that point I gave up. <g> I ain't gonna risk losing anything, it's all going
in checked luggage both ways! Besides, I can do without the Learning Experience
of a full body search, for the first time, at my age. I'll have plenty of
knitting time on the ground. At least now I can afford to buy a couple of good
paperbacks to read during the interminable wait before boarding, and during the
flight! Or practice my kumihimo. <gg>

(I always get there 2 hours early, 'cause it tends to be during the busiest
times...everything goes fast, much to folks' amazement...and then I end up
waiting for 1-1/2 hours at the gate, bored outta my gourd. ok, so I only fly
about once a year, and that's only been for the last 5 years--but it's happened
every time. what're the odds? LOL!)

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

Allaya Diep
July 22nd 03, 07:24 PM
hahah...they'll only be serving soups and sandwiches for the in-flight meal
from now on! LOL Sorry, i know it's technically "terrorism," but there's
something funny to me about some guy stabbing some other person next to him
with a fork...tells me that maybe this guy isn't fit to do much of anything
on his own, let alone fly...

But back to the topic...I think i'm going to check out this pendant you guys
are talking about...

Allaya

"G.Kelly" > wrote in message
> Els I guess that may be alright but we are getting very strict here now -
> last week a passenger here stabbed the passenger next to him with a fork
!!!
> so from now on absolutely no metal objects and certainly no metal cutlery
> will be allowed - I even had nail clippers taken !! God Bless Gwen
>
> --
>
> Gwen Kelly

Anna MCM
July 22nd 03, 08:26 PM
NoraBalcer wrote:

> Monica,
>
> You can go into one of the restaurants and have some of those big cold shrimp.
> DH spotted them when we were getting ready to board our flight home.

Hi Nora!

When I read your message first, I understood you were suggesting
shrimp´s claws as scissors on the airplane! :-D
Ok, it´s better I go to bed.

Hugs,

Anna Maria

CMM PDX2
July 22nd 03, 10:52 PM
Nora wrote:

>You can go into one of the restaurants and have some of
>those big cold shrimp.
>DH spotted them when we were getting ready to board our
>flight home.

LOL...actually, I'd prefer some clam chowder and sourdough bread. <eg> Which
would be great if it was San Francisco I was going to!

I'll just have to go to Powell's airport bookstore and spend some time
browsing. Oh, the pain! <vbeg> I can finally afford to see what they've got in
that store - other times, I haven't dared even slow down as I went by! I'm
dangerous at bookstores; *especially* Powell's, aka Heaven On Earth. That's
what I call their main store, anyway, where you could get lost without a map -
fortunately, they *have* maps.

Heck, maybe they'll even have some knitting mags. They'll surely have a better
selection of magazines and books than the usual dreck most gift shops/airport
stores carry!

Oh dear...I sound terribly ungrateful, here. I'm not; it's fantastic to get
away for a trip, and I'm very aware of how lucky I am to have a friend who does
this for me every so often. But man, those airport waits are incredibly boring
when you can't even afford to buy a new book to read, *and* you can't knit or
something! I'll be much happier this trip; give me a new book, and I don't care
*where* I am. ;)) Of course, they may have to whap me to make me notice it's
time to board the plane. I kind of get, um, engrossed. (i.e., totally lost.)

And fortunately, I'll have plenty of knitting packed in checked luggage to keep
me occupied while yacking during the visit. Heheheheheh.

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

Katherine Burgess
July 22nd 03, 11:53 PM
I just had a look at the pendant. I think I will order it. Keith wants some
more Ergo gloves, and I am thinking about getting another rug to hook, so
the pendant (which is 10.95 in Canada) will fit in nicely. And it will be so
convenient while traveling.
Katherine

"Allaya Diep" > wrote in message
> hahah...they'll only be serving soups and sandwiches for the in-flight
meal
> from now on! LOL Sorry, i know it's technically "terrorism," but there's
> something funny to me about some guy stabbing some other person next to
him
> with a fork...tells me that maybe this guy isn't fit to do much of
anything
> on his own, let alone fly...
>
> But back to the topic...I think i'm going to check out this pendant you
guys
> are talking about...
>
> Allaya
>

> "G.Kelly" > wrote in message
> > Els I guess that may be alright but we are getting very strict here
now -
> > last week a passenger here stabbed the passenger next to him with a fork
> !!!
> > so from now on absolutely no metal objects and certainly no metal
cutlery
> > will be allowed - I even had nail clippers taken !! God Bless Gwen
> >
> > --
> >
> > Gwen Kelly

Els van Dam
July 23rd 03, 04:34 AM
In article >, Anna MCM > wrote:

> NoraBalcer wrote:
> >
> > Monica,
> >
> > You can go into one of the restaurants and have some of those big cold
shrimp.
> > DH spotted them when we were getting ready to board our flight home.
> >
> Hi Nora!
>
> When I read your message first, I understood you were suggesting
> shrimp´s claws as scissors on the airplane! :-D
> Ok, it´s better I go to bed.
>
> Hugs,
>
> Anna Maria

Not strange at all we are such an inventive bunch here, now that I am
willing to try. They most likely kick me off the plane for the fishy
stink of the claws...LOL

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Noreen's Knit*che
July 23rd 03, 04:39 AM
In article >,
says...

> Not strange at all we are such an inventive bunch here, now that I am
> willing to try. They most likely kick me off the plane for the fishy
> stink of the claws...LOL

Els, I had visions thru my tears of laughter on that one.
LOL,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

brenna_9859
July 23rd 03, 11:17 AM
I actually use my pendant all the time. It is a handy tool

brenna

"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
> I just had a look at the pendant. I think I will order it. Keith wants
some
> more Ergo gloves, and I am thinking about getting another rug to hook, so
> the pendant (which is 10.95 in Canada) will fit in nicely. And it will be
so
> convenient while traveling.
> Katherine
>
> "Allaya Diep" > wrote in message
> > hahah...they'll only be serving soups and sandwiches for the in-flight
> meal
> > from now on! LOL Sorry, i know it's technically "terrorism," but
there's
> > something funny to me about some guy stabbing some other person next to
> him
> > with a fork...tells me that maybe this guy isn't fit to do much of
> anything
> > on his own, let alone fly...
> >
> > But back to the topic...I think i'm going to check out this pendant you
> guys
> > are talking about...
> >
> > Allaya
> >

> > "G.Kelly" > wrote in message
> > > Els I guess that may be alright but we are getting very strict here
> now -
> > > last week a passenger here stabbed the passenger next to him with a
fork
> > !!!
> > > so from now on absolutely no metal objects and certainly no metal
> cutlery
> > > will be allowed - I even had nail clippers taken !! God Bless Gwen
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Gwen Kelly

NoraBalcer
July 23rd 03, 03:03 PM
Anna Maria,

LOL at that one as I hadn't thought of that.

Hugs,

Nora

Google