PDA

View Full Version : Discussion topic: Aggrevating/irritating projects

July 17th 03, 07:59 AM
Hi group!
What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
Noreen**

Carol in TN
July 17th 03, 12:20 PM
Don't have an answer for this one. Will have to think about it. Or maybe
someone else's answer will force me to remember what I have obviously pushed
to the back of my mind.
Carol in TN

> wrote in message
> Hi group!
> What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> Noreen**

Karen
July 17th 03, 02:05 PM
> wrote in message
> Hi group!
> What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> Noreen**

One of my early projects, and it was irritating only because I was a
bonehead.

I was making a beret style hat out of Trendsetter Savvy. It required DPNs
which I had never used before, but I had a pattern. The instructions said
cast on all the stitches and then split them into the three DPNs, and join,
and then knit off of each one. It didn't say anything about a working
needle. So I cast on something like 45 stitches -- split them into 15 on
each needle; and then knitted the stitches on Needle 1 with Needle 3 --
which already had 15 stitches on it. So I ended up with 30 stitches on
needle 3, and then would manually move the first 15 that were on there onto
another needle. And kept on like that. It got even worse when it came to
decreasing, and there were only a few stitches left on each needle, and I
was working with 7" needles. I was ready to toss the whole thing out,
except that the yarn had been awfully expensive.

Believe it or not, I finished the entire hat that way -- and it's wearable.
Not too much later, I was in the LYS and saw one of the women explaining to
someone how to use DPNs and use the working needle to knit the stitches off,
and I felt like an idiot.

Other irritating project -- a pair of socks in Fortissima Colori --
frustrating, because I am used to making them in worsted weight yarn, and
the Colori keeps splitting, and I have trouble working with something that
thin.

Karen

NoraBalcer
July 17th 03, 03:39 PM
One project comes to mind real quick. I have a tapestry picture that is now on
the closet shelf. Maybe after I have cataract surgery I'll be able to see the
little holes better and be able to get it done. The picture is "The Minuet" and
is 45x20. It's supposed to go on our living room wall if I ever get it done.

Hugs,

Nora

Deb
July 17th 03, 04:27 PM
I was working up some floral crosses someone ordered from me that
drove me nuts. It wasn't hard to crochet, but I don't sew and I
needed to sew the flowers, stems and leaves onto the crosses - not fun
for me!

Deb
http://www.debsdesktop.com
http://www.debsbookshelf.com
http://www.pineappleplaza.com

wrote in message >...
> Hi group!
> What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> Noreen**

Brian D
July 17th 03, 07:17 PM
Hi there:

Just off the top of my head I can only think of one project that drove me
nuts. Someone ordered 3 sweaters from me, 1 adult size and 2 child sizes.
They were the round needle fairisle pattern type which is far from difficult
but.......all three were the same colour/ same pattern.......ughhhh! I was
so glad when they were finished. The only thing that kept my interest was
the payment at the end lol!
No doubt as I think about this I'll come up with something that really
tested my crafty brain.
Wishing you all the best!

Donna from Ontario, Canada

> wrote in message
> Hi group!
> What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> Noreen**

Laurie
July 17th 03, 07:18 PM
Ugh, I know which one I threw down more than a few times. I was
crocheting with Patons pixie yarn. Fuzzy, cute, but the thread is
very thin. I would go to crochet in a stitch and all the fuzz hid the
yarn. I would pull it apart and look and look and even kind of stab
my hook in there hoping to find the stitch.

Now ask me why I'm doing another sweater in it? All that frustration
and it turned out SO cute!

yes, I took pictures and will put them up...

Laurie
Washougal, WA

Allaya Diep
July 17th 03, 07:49 PM
I would have to say that my difficult project was a crocheted pineapple
shawl from Knit It! last year, I think. Beautiful, beautiful wrap...I had
some lovely rayon thread to make it...

But this was the first time I've EVER done a pineapple, so it was a little
challenging, to say the least. The first frustraion was just starting it.
I must have started that darned thing 10 times before I figured out what the
heck they were talking about. After that, it was smooth sailing...until I
came to one of the last repeats...

My friends and I have deemed this a cursed project...every time I pick it up
to finish it, I make a mistake in the SAME place every time, and have to
unravel it back to where it used to be. So it now lays unfinished in my
fiber cabinet, waiting until one day I get up enough patience to get this
thing done! LOL

Allaya

> wrote in message
> Hi group!
> What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> Noreen**

spampot
July 17th 03, 11:05 PM
wrote:
> Hi group!
> What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> Noreen**

HO ho ho, Noreen, I guess you missed my posts about casting on that
Moebius scarf!! But I have to say that the third time worked, and once
I got started on the actual pattern, things went well. We'll see what
happens once I bind off and "unfold" it.

Marie C
July 18th 03, 06:49 AM
wrote in message >...
> Hi group!
> What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> Noreen**

The long tunic sweater on the brand new 32 inch circular needles
which had a mind their own lol. No matter how many times I counted
the stitches, the number was different. I frogged it. Some day maybe
I will try it again....
Marie C.

NoraBalcer
July 18th 03, 03:09 PM
Allaya,

Is your pineapple knit or crochet? I love doing them, but the first time was a
challange as the directions were wrong.

Hugs,

Nora

Lucille
July 21st 03, 03:55 PM
I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to it.
I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.

I don't usually dump my projects--I just keep them forever. For example,
when I was going through my stuff recently I found an embroidered tablecloth
half done, very neatly folded with the thread and all. I'm embarrassed to
say the instructions are dated 1974. Oh well, maybe the finishing fairies
will come in some day and do it.

Lucille

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" > wrote in message
> Every now and than a project doesn`t want to be finnished , i pick it
> up work alittle and ,,,,, it schleps from one period to another ,,
> making usual one piece knits /crochets which usuall is a great
> advantage , is the great problem in such a case ,,, this wholeness
> becomes boring or something i don`t like anymore ,,,,,
> So i can`t point a finger and say This is a work , the work i didn`t
> like ,,,, it is a versatile as a project i like ,,,,, I move on in
> life and so do my `likes` and dislikes to works ,,,
> mirjam
>
> >Hi group!
> >What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> >Hugs,
> >Noreen
> >
> >**I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> >Noreen**

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 22nd 03, 12:54 AM
| On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:55:27 GMT, "Lucille" > wrote:

>I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
>There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
>stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to it.
>I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
>someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.

Or do a pillowghan. If the squares are suitable size, 10 is just right. You
do a 3 x 3 array, then sew the 10th on top of the bottom center square
with the side toward the center square open The whole thing folds up into
that pocket, and when it's open the pocket is just right for the feet. If
the squares are smaller, donate them to Warm Up America.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Shillelagh
July 22nd 03, 05:31 AM
"Lucille" > wrote in message
. ..
> I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
> There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
> stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to it.
> I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
> someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.

Lucille, I would love to do that afghan! I have been admiring that book and
was thinking of asking for it for Christmas. I wonder if there's any point
in trying to find it in a used book store.

Shelagh

Sue Carlson Dunn
July 22nd 03, 11:06 AM
I'd have to say that it's the same cross-stitch picture that appears
in the "satisfying projects" thread! It has 115 colours, and some of
them are just single stitches in amongst others. This isn't so bad
when it's just one or two stitches in a block of another shade, but
when there are 25 different symbols in a 10x10 stitches block it gets
a bit confusing. Last night I misread one of the symbols and ended up
having to pull out most of the evening's work (sounds of gnashing
teeth, greets and wails... )
--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

> wrote in message
> Hi group!
> What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
> Noreen**

Claire
July 22nd 03, 12:18 PM
I have a book a bit like that which I bought in Walmart a couple of years
ago. It has 63 different stitches in it and I began it this weekend as a
change from knitting. I haven't crocheted for about twenty years and have
already flung the work across the room several times. My chap keeps
muttering things about how handicrafts are meant to be helping me relax but
shuts up quickly when he gets *that* look. The annoying thing is, I'm stuck
on the first square! After much swearing (thank goodness the baby hasn't
started talking yet, could do without her repeating some of that in front of
her grandparents!) I looked on the internet for help (I've been collecting
links from you guys and saving them in my browser) I've discovered that I've
been doing single crochet totally wrong since I began crocheting at the age
of eight! Also holding the hook and yarn all wrong! No wonder it was so slow
and awkward after knitting. Am having to take deep breaths (not easy as The
Bump in kicking like a donkey) and re-learn how to do things right. The
moral to this story? I've no idea!

Claire

"Shillelagh" > wrote in message

> "Lucille" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
> > There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
> > stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to
it.
> > I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
> > someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.
>
> Lucille, I would love to do that afghan! I have been admiring that book
and
> was thinking of asking for it for Christmas. I wonder if there's any
point
> in trying to find it in a used book store.
>
> Shelagh

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
July 22nd 03, 12:31 PM
Apropos Pillowgahan , somebody here told me she took a calss and a
woman Claimed it was her invention ,,,can you believe that ??? the
cheekiness,,,,
mirjam

>| On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:55:27 GMT, "Lucille" > wrote:
>
>>I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
>>There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
>>stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to it.
>>I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
>>someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.
>
>Or do a pillowghan. If the squares are suitable size, 10 is just right. You
>do a 3 x 3 array, then sew the 10th on top of the bottom center square
>with the side toward the center square open The whole thing folds up into
>that pocket, and when it's open the pocket is just right for the feet. If
>the squares are smaller, donate them to Warm Up America.
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Katherine Burgess
July 22nd 03, 02:44 PM
"Shillelagh" wrote...

> "Lucille" wrote
> > I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
> > There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
> > stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to
it.
> > I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
> > someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.
>
> Lucille, I would love to do that afghan! I have been admiring that book
and
> was thinking of asking for it for Christmas. I wonder if there's any
point
> in trying to find it in a used book store.

I saw it in a used book store this summer, but didn't buy it. I am not much
of an afghan knitter, and I have more patterns than I will use. That being
said, I have three on needles as I type. <g>
Katherine

NoraBalcer
July 22nd 03, 04:00 PM
Sue,

I wondered about that when I got the colors, so many were so close. That was
also the way when I did my kit with 96 colors, but it was worth it when it was
done.

Hugs,

Nora

NoraBalcer
July 22nd 03, 04:01 PM
Claire,

Come on back here and we'll help you with the crocheting. I know it can be
frustrating at time especially when you see that what you thought was right was
wrong. Been there, done that.

Hugs,

Nora

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 22nd 03, 04:12 PM
| On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:31:13 GMT, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

>Apropos Pillowgahan , somebody here told me she took a calss and a
>woman Claimed it was her invention ,,,can you believe that ??? the
>cheekiness,,,,
>mirjam
She'd have had to be rather old, wouldn't she?

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Laurie
July 22nd 03, 05:50 PM
Hang in there Claire! It is fun and easy to crochet and knowing both
knitting and crochet is really nice because they are different. When
my shoulders get crampy from knitting I can pick up one of my crochet
projects. And actually, I'm crocheting a rug right now out of a heavy
cotton and I can feel it working on the back of my arms! all right!

I just discovered the same thing with my crocheting. I've been doing
single crochet as a slip stitch for years and years and many projects.
I would even tentatively venture to say I'm an intermediate crocheter
now. At least I would have until I discovered the single crochet
thing. Now I feel kinda like a dopey crocheter. ;-)

The good news is. I like the real single crochet so much more.
Before, I hated it so much I avoided all projects that called for a
lot of it. Maybe you'll like it better now too.

Laurie (who is vowing to start showing a little self control)
Washougal, WA
WIP: crochet rug, knit cardigan coat, knit scarf, knit head scarf,
crochet hat, crochet baby's sweater and hat, knit pillow, crochet
scarf, crochet cardigan (I'm devoting the last week of this month to
finishing one of my projects rather than start any new ones!)

NoraBalcer
July 22nd 03, 07:50 PM
Laurie,

You will have to let us know which one you finish. I find my upper back
shoulder tightens up now when I knit so like you pick up the crocheting.

Hugs,

Nora

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
July 23rd 03, 08:12 AM
Yeah those were the exact words of my quilter friend to mrs somebody ,
by the way Helen this discussion , comes just as i debate whether i
should make my daughter an afghan of sorts ,, maybe such an afgahn
would be just the thing for her , i wil study the pattern i have of a
sewn one , a crochet one would be just the same idea.
mirjam

>She'd have had to be rather old, wouldn't she?
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Lucille
July 23rd 03, 02:56 PM
The book Mary Maxim has is book 2. I couldn't resist buying it even though
it just may never get done. I did a google search for book one and did find
it for $9.95 so it's still around. Unfortunately I never bookmarked the
site. Now if I can only remember where I saw it I'd be glad to share the
information with you.

Lucille

I think
"Shillelagh" > wrote in message

> "Lucille" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I thought I heard that publication on "The Great American Afghan" book
> > has been discontinued so you might want to think about getting it now.
> I'm
> > not ready to give mine up yet because even if I never finish the afghan
> the
> > patterns are very nice and I think I will find a use for them in
something
> > in the future. I love doing the more intricate designs so this will
come
> in
> > handy just as a pattern book.
> >
> > I know there is a book 2 that is also full of intricate patterns and
that
> > one is still readily available.
>
> One of the books is available through Mary Maxim, but I think I'll check
out
> the local bookstores.
>
> Shelagh

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 23rd 03, 04:25 PM
I think the main trick to remember is the placement of the pouch being
central and opening toward the middle of the back side of the blanket. Some
quilt versions don't seem to have the idea that you might want to tuck your
tootsies into the pocket when it's in use as a blanket.

| On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:12:14 GMT, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

>Yeah those were the exact words of my quilter friend to mrs somebody ,
>by the way Helen this discussion , comes just as i debate whether i
>should make my daughter an afghan of sorts ,, maybe such an afgahn
>would be just the thing for her , i wil study the pattern i have of a
>sewn one , a crochet one would be just the same idea.
>mirjam
>
>>She'd have had to be rather old, wouldn't she?

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Richard Eney
July 24th 03, 11:25 PM
In article >,
Laurie > wrote:

>I just discovered the same thing with my crocheting. I've been doing
>single crochet as a slip stitch for years and years and many projects.
> I would even tentatively venture to say I'm an intermediate crocheter
>now. At least I would have until I discovered the single crochet
>thing. Now I feel kinda like a dopey crocheter. ;-)

Not dopey, just British-style. :-) British single crochet is a slip
stitch; they call American single crochet "double crochet". Take
a tip from the new agers and claim it was a past-life memory. ;-)

<snip>
>Laurie (who is vowing to start showing a little self control)

We all have self control. It's just that our true selves disagree
with our forebrains about what we really need to do.

=Tamar

Google