PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Topic: Crochet

Noreen's Knit*che
July 17th 03, 07:15 AM
Hi Group!
What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I think of both, as I DO both
Noreen**

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

=A0

Carol in TN
July 17th 03, 12:18 PM
Both, since I do both. Although lately I have been making towel toppers
with cotton so I would think of the cotton which seems to be a cross between
yarn and thread.
Carol in TN
"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
Hi Group!
What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I think of both, as I DO both
Noreen**

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

Karen
July 17th 03, 02:11 PM
"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
Hi Group!
What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I think of both, as I DO both
Noreen**

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

I started out crocheting doilies out of knit-cro-sheen when I was 16. And I
learned how to make afghans out of yarn at the same time. So for a long
time, when I thought crocheting, I thought thread, and with knitting, yarn.
Now I think yarn for both of them.

However, when someone mentions crocheting, I automatically think afghans --
with knitting, I think sweaters and socks, more wearable garments. I don't
know why that is. I guess I think of crocheting for more lacy, open work,
more likely to be an afghan than a sweater.

NoraBalcer
July 17th 03, 03:33 PM
Seeing I learned to crochet with yarn that comes to mind first. I have done
some thread projects, but it's not my favorite. I'm now using the cotton yarn
and I do enjoy that for making afghans and dishcloths.

Hugs,

Nora

Deb
July 17th 03, 04:33 PM
Noreen,

I think of blankets and doilies - I mostly crochet doilies. I like
doing blankets but yarn is too warm for me to work with living in
South Florida.

Deb
http://www.debsdesktop.com
http://www.debsbookshelf.com
http://www.pineappleplaza.com

Noreen's Knit*che > wrote in message
> Hi Group!
> What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
> crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> **I think of both, as I DO both
> Noreen**
>
> Noreen's Knit*che
> NATA #447
> (my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

Brian D
July 17th 03, 07:21 PM
Hi there:

When "crochet " is mentioned only 3 things come to mind as I"m not much of
a crocheter!
I have one doily pattern that I use constantly....pineapples.
The other is a "country" afghan I made once done in squares with cross
stitch country homes on the front with a couple of hearts. It was beautiful,
gave it away for a gift.
The last one is the ole granny squares. I've done a few afghans with those
and some pillows.
That is about the extent of my crochet knowledge!

Donna from Ontario, Canada

"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
Hi Group!
What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I think of both, as I DO both
Noreen**

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

Laurie
July 17th 03, 07:25 PM
I tend to think yarn first because that is what I use to crochet. I
love the crochet work with thread, I just don't have the patience. I
love texture. Learning to crochet and knit was just an excuse to play
with beautiful yarn. Just like quilting has been an excuse to play
with beautiful fabric. ;-)

Laurie
Washougal, WA

Allaya Diep
July 17th 03, 07:57 PM
Thread mostly. I don't seem to care for how crocheted yarn looks for some
reason, and I really don't know why! (the towel toppers always look cool
though)

The new latest, greatest thing I've found to crochet with recently is
nylon...too big to be called thread, but too small to be called yarn. Not
sure what you'd call it, but it makes GREAT purses and hats! For a fraction
of the cost, you can make one of those Sak purses. They sell it at Wal Mart
now, but only in black or white. Maybe i'll have more luck on the Coates
and Clarke website...

Allaya

"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
Hi Group!
What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I think of both, as I DO both
Noreen**

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

Pirjo Ilvesvuori
July 17th 03, 09:23 PM
Absolutely with yarn.
Best: Pirjo
Noreen's Knit*che > kirjoitti
Hi Group!
What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you
think of
crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I think of both, as I DO both
Noreen**

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

Jo
July 17th 03, 10:25 PM
Hi Noreen and everyone,

Even though I crochet with both yarn and thread, yarn comes to mind first
because that's what I first learned to crochet with and that's what I use most
often.

Jo

>From: Noreen's Knit*che
>Date: 7/17/03 2:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>Hi Group!
>What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
>crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
>Hugs,
>Noreen

CMM PDX2
July 17th 03, 11:48 PM
Yarn. Not that I crochet all that much any more, I've almost forgotten anything
but how to chain and single crochet, LOL. The few times I tried crocheting with
thread - even fairly 'thick' stuff, comparatively - I ended up feeling like I
was tangled in a spider-web. This can lead to turning the air blue and throwing
things across the room, in my case, at least.

Oh, and Allaya - buy up that white nylon! You can dye it! Whatever works on
silk should also work on nylon.

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 21st 03, 02:06 PM
| On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:15:48 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che > wrote:

>Hi Group!
>What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
>crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
>Hugs,
>Noreen
>
>**I think of both, as I DO both
>Noreen**

I think of rags and heavy cord, sometimes yarn, and rarely thread.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Lucille
July 21st 03, 03:49 PM
I almost always think of thread crochet. As a matter of fact I just
finished the third thread doily in about three weeks and I'm paying dearly
for it. I have now developed a trigger finger which I'm hoping will go away
with rest. I think the tendon is inflamed because of the way I hold the
crochet hook.

I never found much use for yarn crocheted clothing unless I used very, very
thin yarn and wanted something lacy. Heavier weight wools always felt too
stiff. But I have used mohair types, or other very soft yarns, for afghans.

Lucille

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" > wrote in message
> | On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:15:48 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Group!
> >What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
> >crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
> >Hugs,
> >Noreen
> >
> >**I think of both, as I DO both
> >Noreen**
>
> I think of rags and heavy cord, sometimes yarn, and rarely thread.
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Sue Carlson Dunn
July 22nd 03, 10:42 AM
Yarn - definitely! Even if a pattern is for thread (like a doily)
I'll automatically think how it would look in yarn.
--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
Hi Group!
What comes to mind when 'crochet' is mentioned? Do you think of
crocheting with YARN, or crocheting with THREAD?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I think of both, as I DO both
Noreen**

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

Coggie
July 23rd 03, 02:38 AM
I guess I am different , when I think of crochet I think of different
fibers. Not just the size of the fiber being yarn or thread , but ,
the type as in wool , cotton , acrylic , mohair , alpaca or such. ie:
I am more apt to use lace weight wool than cotton thread for a doily .
I use all sizes and textures.
Coggie

Google