PDA

View Full Version : Re: Ot what to wear while flying the broom ?

G.Kelly
July 16th 03, 07:55 AM
Els my mind is rather dull today - I think I will have to ask Harry Patter
which kind of broom is best for senior citizens. GOd Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Els van Dam" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:
>
> > Now Elsje you opened it ,, hahahah let`s explore the possibilities
> > As i wrote i just cleaned the old broom, oiled the old stick or rod [
> > how do you call it?] the brushing part of mine was old Straw of course
> > , needed some cleaning and filling in those that broke and fell off ,
> > after all mine is a 60 year old used broom !!!
> > A scarf you say to hold off the cold and maybe cover our hair ,, al
> > this neat hair dos !!!! i also would suggest a light cape to keep our
> > clothes neat , and dust free , not to mention the winds one encounters
> > Up there ... Now another matter is what kind of bag one carries , i
> > preffer my regular rucksack ??? any ideas
> > hahahahha mirjam
>
> Oh yes.....I have just bought a great one. An over one shoulder bag from
> a wonderful woman right here in BC (British Columbia)who designs clothes.
>
> I also will wear my knitted and felted slippers with bells on the
toes.......

> Els
>
> --
> delete doba to email me.....:=))

Katherine
July 16th 03, 12:08 PM
wrote
> Now Elsje you opened it ,, hahahah let`s explore the possibilities
> As i wrote i just cleaned the old broom, oiled the old stick or rod [
> how do you call it?] the brushing part of mine was old Straw of course
> , needed some cleaning and filling in those that broke and fell off ,
> after all mine is a 60 year old used broom !!!
> A scarf you say to hold off the cold and maybe cover our hair ,, al
> this neat hair dos !!!! i also would suggest a light cape to keep our
> clothes neat , and dust free , not to mention the winds one encounters
> Up there ... Now another matter is what kind of bag one carries , i
> preffer my regular rucksack ??? any ideas

Mirjam,
Is a rucksack what I call a backpack? I would also suggest warm gloves and socks.
Katherine

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 16th 03, 02:23 PM
| On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:22:01 GMT, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

>Now Elsje you opened it ,, hahahah let`s explore the possibilities
>As i wrote i just cleaned the old broom, oiled the old stick or rod [
>how do you call it?] the brushing part of mine was old Straw of course
>, needed some cleaning and filling in those that broke and fell off ,
>after all mine is a 60 year old used broom !!!

Mine is younger than that and hasn't seen much use, so it will only need
dusting off. ;) Got it at the sheep and wool festival from a guy who makes
brooms while you watch!

>A scarf you say to hold off the cold and maybe cover our hair ,, al

A scarf, perhaps, but why not a fascinator?

>this neat hair dos !!!! i also would suggest a light cape to keep our
>clothes neat , and dust free , not to mention the winds one encounters
>Up there ... Now another matter is what kind of bag one carries , i
>preffer my regular rucksack ??? any ideas

I would probably use my knitting bags. One has the local guild logo and the
other has the logo from a big knitting guild convention.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

CMM PDX2
July 16th 03, 05:29 PM
Been reading this thread and giggling madly...I almost dread to bring this up
again, but do you guys realize how much you're sounding like Terry Pratchett's
'Three Wyrd Sisters'? <eg> Especially Nanny Ogg and Magrat. Heck, Nanny Ogg
would've loved your shoulder bag, Els. She always had to stuff her cat Greebo
in a sack! (a very dangerous proposition, indeed, considering what Greebo is
like...) Magrat would be the witch playing her guitar, with flower blossoms
dropping flower out of her hair.

Now me...I've decided I'm gonna be Nanny Ogg when I grow up. Anyone who can
outlive that many husbands (several of whom she didn't marry), tell jokes that
would make a sailor blush, and always carries beer-bottles in her knickers, is
my kinda role model! <vbeg>

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

Ophelia
July 16th 03, 05:43 PM
"CMM PDX2" > wrote in message
> Been reading this thread and giggling madly...I almost dread to bring this
up
> again, but do you guys realize how much you're sounding like Terry
Pratchett's
> 'Three Wyrd Sisters'? <eg> Especially Nanny Ogg and Magrat. Heck, Nanny
Ogg
> would've loved your shoulder bag, Els. She always had to stuff her cat
Greebo
> in a sack! (a very dangerous proposition, indeed, considering what Greebo
is
> like...) Magrat would be the witch playing her guitar, with flower
blossoms
> dropping flower out of her hair.
>
> Now me...I've decided I'm gonna be Nanny Ogg when I grow up. Anyone who
can
> outlive that many husbands (several of whom she didn't marry), tell jokes
that
> would make a sailor blush, and always carries beer-bottles in her
knickers, is
> my kinda role model! <vbeg>

Well I can bring my magic wand but it only works if I bring my pointy hat
and my knitting!

Margrat

Allaya Diep
July 16th 03, 06:33 PM
Broomstick Lace, of course! :) In fact, you can even make some while
flying. Is there a law against that? Crocheting and flying a broom?
hehehe

Allaya

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" > wrote in message
> Now Elsje you opened it ,, hahahah let`s explore the possibilities
> As i wrote i just cleaned the old broom, oiled the old stick or rod [
> how do you call it?] the brushing part of mine was old Straw of course
> , needed some cleaning and filling in those that broke and fell off ,
> after all mine is a 60 year old used broom !!!
> A scarf you say to hold off the cold and maybe cover our hair ,, al
> this neat hair dos !!!! i also would suggest a light cape to keep our
> clothes neat , and dust free , not to mention the winds one encounters
> Up there ... Now another matter is what kind of bag one carries , i
> preffer my regular rucksack ??? any ideas
> hahahahha mirjam

Noreen's Knit*che
July 16th 03, 10:18 PM
In article >,
says...
<<snipped>>

> A scarf you say to hold off the cold and maybe cover our hair ,, al
> this neat hair dos !!!! i also would suggest a light cape to keep our
> clothes neat , and dust free , not to mention the winds one encounters
> Up there ...
> hahahahha mirjam

Rather than a scarf, I suggest a mobius!
Love,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 16th 03, 11:06 PM
| On 16 Jul 2003 16:29:31 GMT, (CMM PDX2) wrote:

>Been reading this thread and giggling madly...I almost dread to bring this up
>again, but do you guys realize how much you're sounding like Terry Pratchett's
>'Three Wyrd Sisters'? <eg> Especially Nanny Ogg and Magrat. Heck, Nanny Ogg
>would've loved your shoulder bag, Els. She always had to stuff her cat Greebo
>in a sack! (a very dangerous proposition, indeed, considering what Greebo is
>like...) Magrat would be the witch playing her guitar, with flower blossoms
>dropping flower out of her hair.

So long as I'm not stuck with a broom like Granny Weatherwax's that needs
miles of running to get it started! No wonder she stays so slim.

>Now me...I've decided I'm gonna be Nanny Ogg when I grow up. Anyone who can
>outlive that many husbands (several of whom she didn't marry), tell jokes that
>would make a sailor blush, and always carries beer-bottles in her knickers, is
>my kinda role model! <vbeg>

I think I'm built like Nanny Ogg, at least.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 16th 03, 11:21 PM
In article >,
(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

> Good that you remind me of the bells ,, we also need some light , to
> cross some dark clouds and no to hit each other !!!!
> mirjam
> hahahahahha

Yes bring your wand (toverstok).....at the end of it there will be a
light....you do have to say the correct words. I will borrow one of our
boat's oil lamps and hang it on my broom. A little light on top of my hat
will help as well.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 16th 03, 11:24 PM
In article >,
(CMM PDX2) wrote:

> Been reading this thread and giggling madly...I almost dread to bring this up
> again, but do you guys realize how much you're sounding like Terry Pratchett's
> 'Three Wyrd Sisters'? <eg> Especially Nanny Ogg and Magrat. Heck, Nanny Ogg
> would've loved your shoulder bag, Els. She always had to stuff her cat Greebo
> in a sack! (a very dangerous proposition, indeed, considering what Greebo is
> like...) Magrat would be the witch playing her guitar, with flower blossoms
> dropping flower out of her hair.
>
> Now me...I've decided I'm gonna be Nanny Ogg when I grow up. Anyone who can
> outlive that many husbands (several of whom she didn't marry), tell jokes that
> would make a sailor blush, and always carries beer-bottles in her knickers, is
> my kinda role model! <vbeg>
>
> Monica

Monica....I have been reading several of the Terry Pratchett's books but
not that one, I guess I either have to read it while flying or have to
postpone my trip to get updated here....I do not have a cat to bring, but
how about a barred owl...we have one sitting here every night in one of
our trees. She may want to come along as well.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 16th 03, 11:28 PM
In article >, llama mama
> wrote:

> (Els van Dam) wrote in
> :
>
> > I also will wear my knitted and felted slippers with bells on the
> > toes.......
>
> oooh! is there a pattern for these? my 3-in-2-weeks son starts preschool
> at the end of August & needs slippers to wear while in school (it's a
> Montessori school). i think he'd really like something like that.
>
> lee

Hi Lee the pattern I have is from Fiber Trends I think that they are
located in Bellingham, Washington. She may have a website as well. You
knit the slippers on fat circular needles with a wool that felts well.
The slipper are knitted very loosly and when put in the washing machine
will felt.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 16th 03, 11:28 PM
In article <1ZfRa.8466$Bp2.2843@fed1read07>, "Allaya Diep"
> wrote:

> Broomstick Lace, of course! :) In fact, you can even make some while
> flying. Is there a law against that? Crocheting and flying a broom?
> hehehe
>
> Allaya

Allaya....no laws where we are flying.......LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Els van Dam
July 16th 03, 11:29 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> <<snipped>>
>
> > A scarf you say to hold off the cold and maybe cover our hair ,, al
> > this neat hair dos !!!! i also would suggest a light cape to keep our
> > clothes neat , and dust free , not to mention the winds one encounters
> > Up there ...
> > hahahahha mirjam
>
> Rather than a scarf, I suggest a mobius!
> Love,
> Noreen

Yes Noreen, I think that is a very good idea....Helen and Mirjam have made
a suggestion like that also.....I think.....a lacy one would we so
perfect.

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

AGRES
July 17th 03, 02:17 AM
I always thought that knitting needles were the origin of the magic wand
idea. Just get some made out of lignum vite.

Aaron

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "CMM PDX2" > wrote in message
> > Been reading this thread and giggling madly...I almost dread to bring
this
> up
> > again, but do you guys realize how much you're sounding like Terry
> Pratchett's
> > 'Three Wyrd Sisters'? <eg> Especially Nanny Ogg and Magrat. Heck, Nanny
> Ogg
> > would've loved your shoulder bag, Els. She always had to stuff her cat
> Greebo
> > in a sack! (a very dangerous proposition, indeed, considering what
Greebo
> is
> > like...) Magrat would be the witch playing her guitar, with flower
> blossoms
> > dropping flower out of her hair.
> >
> > Now me...I've decided I'm gonna be Nanny Ogg when I grow up. Anyone who
> can
> > outlive that many husbands (several of whom she didn't marry), tell
jokes
> that
> > would make a sailor blush, and always carries beer-bottles in her
> knickers, is
> > my kinda role model! <vbeg>
>
> Well I can bring my magic wand but it only works if I bring my pointy hat
> and my knitting!
>
> Margrat

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
July 17th 03, 08:15 AM
Well Ophelia the whole idea was to add some fun to life !!!
And Margrat
hahahah
But i have no idea who those "persons were " whose names you wrote.
>> 'Three Wyrd Sisters'? <eg> Especially Nanny Ogg and Magrat. Heck, Nann>Ogg
>> would've loved your shoulder bag, Els. She always had to stuff her cat
>Greebo
Wl> I can bring my magic wand but it only works if I bring my pointy
hat
I think that any kniting needle is an original Magic wand ,, look it a
stick that takes aa trhread is moved a bit up, down etc,,, and Voila a
knitted garment comes out , now if this isn`t proper magic ? waht do
you call magic ??
mirjam

Noreen's Knit*che
July 17th 03, 08:29 AM
In article >,
says...
> Noreen you are the tops of course a moebious
> this unending loop , so symbolic of life
> mirjam

Thankyou, Mirjam, I'm blushing.
And yes, agreed wholeheartedly, VERY symbolic.
And, on another note... mobious was such a long discussion thread here on
RCTY that I thought we should wear them on our brooms!
Yes?
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

Noreen's Knit*che
July 17th 03, 10:30 PM
In article <1zCRa.2153$ff.2@fed1read01>, says...
> Hmm...maybe we should wear windsocks... :) What would broom "windsocks"
> look like? I imagine them to be multicolored striped knee-high socks with
> very long toes and bells or chimes or tassels on the end. hehehehe
>
> Allaya

THAT description sounds a little more like Pippy Longstocking.....
LOL
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

CMM PDX2
July 17th 03, 11:18 PM
Els wrote:

>Monica....I have been reading several of the Terry Pratchett's
>books but not that one,
<snip>

Els, 'Three Wyrd Sisters' is the one in which he introduces Granny Weatherwax,
Nanny Ogg, and Magrat.(and yes, 'Magrat' is spelled correctly. her *mother* was
a bad speller, which is why she's not 'Margaret.' in the Kingdom of Lancre,
once your name is said out loud the first time at your naming, that's it. this
is why Magrat, now queen of Lancre, has a daughter whose middle name is, 'Note
Spelling.' <g> it's a long story...cv. 'Carpe Jugulum.')

But you can enjoy any of Pratchett's books that have those characters without
reading that particular one. You get a real good idea of their personalities
right quick, LOL.

Now, back to broomsticking...uh, hey... Did we post a warning *not* to be
trying to lug any curling stones??? Working broomstick lace in-flight *is*
allowed, of course. Nay, encouraged!

Els, I like the barred owl idea. Owls are great!

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

spampot
July 19th 03, 06:33 PM
But where would you get the phoenix feather to complete the wand? ;)

AGRES wrote:
> I always thought that knitting needles were the origin of the magic wand
> idea. Just get some made out of lignum vite.
>
> Aaron
>

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>>"CMM PDX2" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Been reading this thread and giggling madly...I almost dread to bring
>>
> this
>
>>up
>>
>>>again, but do you guys realize how much you're sounding like Terry
>>
>>Pratchett's
>>
>>>'Three Wyrd Sisters'? <eg> Especially Nanny Ogg and Magrat. Heck, Nanny
>>
>>Ogg
>>
>>>would've loved your shoulder bag, Els. She always had to stuff her cat
>>
>>Greebo
>>
>>>in a sack! (a very dangerous proposition, indeed, considering what
>>
> Greebo
>
>>is
>>
>>>like...) Magrat would be the witch playing her guitar, with flower
>>
>>blossoms
>>
>>>dropping flower out of her hair.
>>>
>>>Now me...I've decided I'm gonna be Nanny Ogg when I grow up. Anyone who
>>
>>can
>>
>>>outlive that many husbands (several of whom she didn't marry), tell
>>
> jokes
>
>>that
>>
>>>would make a sailor blush, and always carries beer-bottles in her
>>
>>knickers, is
>>
>>>my kinda role model! <vbeg>
>>
>>Well I can bring my magic wand but it only works if I bring my pointy hat
>>and my knitting!
>>
>>Margrat

Google