PDA

View Full Version : Re: De-lurking properly.

Noreen's Knit*che
July 14th 03, 02:27 PM
Claire, welcome to the best newsgroup on the net.
Loved your intro, very informative, and who cares if you supposedly
'rambled'????
Hugs,
Noreen

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)
=A0
=A0
http://www.myegroups.com
Group Code:
3258C1
Picot Page
=A0
Group Code:
32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins
=A0

Katherine
July 14th 03, 06:28 PM
Hi, Claire,
What is a Harry Potter jumper?
Katherine

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 14th 03, 09:08 PM
| On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:28:55 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>I will slow down and get this right....I know you are not "rading"
>anything...but i am sure you do read a lot
>
>Els,

Whereas, *I* have been out raiding today. ;)

I noticed on the way home the other day that there's a mulberry bush
sprung up in the ditch between the bike path and the road about 2 blocks
from my house. It's right by the entrance to the park, and the county tends
to mow the ditch with a big sickle bar on a regular basis, so I figure
nobody's going to mind if I give it a little pruning, to feed my silk
worms, especially where it sticks out into the bike path. Well that's my
rationale if anyone stops and says anything to me. I still feel like a
mulberry pirate, though. It's growing in full sun, unlike the ones in my
yard which are shaded by oaks, but the silk worms don't seem to mind.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 15th 03, 03:01 PM
| On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:08:56 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>> nobody's going to mind if I give it a little pruning, to feed my silk
>> worms, especially where it sticks out into the bike path. Well that's my
>> rationale if anyone stops and says anything to me. I still feel like a
>> mulberry pirate, though. It's growing in full sun, unlike the ones in my
>> yard which are shaded by oaks, but the silk worms don't seem to mind.
>
>I would have done the same thing, or rather I have done the same thing.
>At the corner of my neighbours house, right in the road allowance grew a
>large clump of Tansy. I dug some up before they came and cleared it.

My sister gave me some tansy in a large pot, which I only half sunk into
the ground and still have a devil of a time keeping it from spreading!

>There are also lots of black berries growing in the ditch and on the road
>allowance, but sadley the new owner of the house loves to clean up and
>tansy and black berries are gone. I have several large clumps of tansy
>growing on our lot now. Good dye plant but also a great flower palnt,
>love the aroma as well. Righ where our recycle bins sit in Mill Bay,
>there is a patch of wild bleeding hearts happely growing among all kind of
>rubbish. I have dug a bit of it up as well and have the plants growing in
>my garden. LOL

I love volunteer plants, but this is the furthest I've gone in raiding.
Other years I just asked permission to prune the mulberry behind the yarn
shop. Alas, the shop moved, but maybe the book store that expanded into it
won't mind if I supplement my own trees by pruning theirs again. I have a
little prickly pear in a pot, from a careful cutting I took in front of the
Mexican restaurant the last time we ate there right before they closed. Now
that they've moved down by the university we never get there. Feels like a
living piece of history. Now if I could just find some cochineal for it...

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 15th 03, 05:18 PM
In article >,
wrote:

snip snip

Now if I could just find some cochineal for it...

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

That is what dreams are made of, some wishful thinking.....(big smile) i
have to look, I think I have a wee little bag of cochineal sitting
around. First I have to get a new campstove, our old one was not usable
anymore.

I do have lots and lots of Fernambuk or Red wood or Brazil wood. It is a
fantastic dye. Reds purples pinks etc. It is an old one as well.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 15th 03, 06:15 PM
| On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:18:08 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

> Now if I could just find some cochineal for it...
>>
>That is what dreams are made of, some wishful thinking.....(big smile) i
>have to look, I think I have a wee little bag of cochineal sitting
>around. First I have to get a new campstove, our old one was not usable
>anymore.

I have some dried cochineal, too, but I was actually thinking of live eggs
to grow my own on that prickly pear!

>I do have lots and lots of Fernambuk or Red wood or Brazil wood. It is a
>fantastic dye. Reds purples pinks etc. It is an old one as well.

Oh yes, I've used Brazilwood. Wonderful stuff. One of our local weaving
shops sells bags of it. I also have some shavings of Osage Orange wood that
I need to get round to playing with. Ran into a guy hand carving a
traditional bow out of it and he let me have all his shavings.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

CMM PDX2
July 15th 03, 07:50 PM
Els wrote:

>I would have done the same thing, or rather I have done
>the same thing. At the corner of my neighbours house, right
>in the road allowance grew a large clump of Tansy. I dug
>some up before they came and cleared it. There are also lots
>of black berries growing in the ditch and on the road
>allowance, but sadley the new owner of the house loves to
>clean up and tansy and black berries are gone. I have
>several large clumps of tansy growing on our lot now.
>Good dye plant but also a great flower palnt, love the
>aroma as well.

LOL Els...the dyer side of me is nodding approvingly re the tansy, and the
livestock side is making horrified little squeaking noises. <bg> Down here in
Oregon, there's been an active campaign going on for decades to get rid of as
much tansy as possible, because it's poisonous to grazing livestock. (it builds
up in their systems, and eventually kills them. if I remember right - not
guaranteeing this bit - they also get a taste for it, and keep wanting to eat
it.) Anyway, I can remember when living in the country on our 'hobby' farm -
all 10 acres of it, with 25 acres up the road - we would frantically grub up
any sprig of tansy that showed! With horses, cattle, and donkeys, we had *far*
too many animals that could be hurt by it.

But I *know* it's a really good dye-plant, and gives a nice yellow. I always
just read about it though. Mom and I never tried it when we were interested in
natural dyeing, because we'd been rooting it out of the pastures so well by
then, we never could find any!

Now, blackberries...those are Oregon's answer to kudzu. <vbg> The Highway Dept.
sprays 'em, but the blackberries don't care. They merrily take over again in
half a season or so. That's one berry most people with sense don't buy at a
store, because you can pick 'em all over the place. There are scads of good
places right in Portland where you can get gallons of blackberries in about
half an hour. Dad used to drag us out picking every summer so he could make
wine. ('out picking' being going to a spot about 10 minutes by car from home,
down by the railroad cut. <g> big trip, that.) Me, I preferred Mom's blackberry
cobbler and jam!

Monica - thinking about boysenberries and loganberries and strawberries and
umpteen other berries...man, I have *got* to grab my stepdaughter with her car
this summer, and go pickin'! I want cobbler, for some odd reason...

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

CMM PDX2
July 15th 03, 07:52 PM
*sigh* Not reading to the end of threads, again...

Helen, re that prickly pear - isn't the fruit also supposed to give a pretty
good dye? Pink, if I remember right...vaguely...from someplace-or-other...<g>

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

Els van Dam
July 15th 03, 10:45 PM
In article >,
(CMM PDX2) wrote:

> *sigh* Not reading to the end of threads, again...
>
> Helen, re that prickly pear - isn't the fruit also supposed to give a pretty
> good dye? Pink, if I remember right...vaguely...from someplace-or-other...<g>
>
> Monica

slinkytoy where are you, ......she can tell you about the dye from the
prickly pear, last year I got enough prickly pear pink dyed fibers from
her, to spin up a generous skein.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Claire
July 16th 03, 12:32 AM
Dear Katherine

In the first Harry Potter book, Ron's mother (Mrs Weasley) knits each of her
children a jumper and does one for Harry too. They are in different colours
(I believe Harry's is darkish red, will have to check that) with a large H
on the front. The other children have their own initial on theirs. In the
film the jumpers (which were knitted in Rowan Yarn who have the pattern and
kits for sale) were plain round neck jumpers with the initials on the front.
My son has really enjoyed the book so I thought that I would knit him one -
just a plain round necked jumper (I already have a pattern for that) with a
large P on it. I just have to work out how to make a pattern for the letter.
It doesn't matter if it isn't perfect. Mrs Weasley's knitting did not look
very professional - very home made jumpers. As long as I get the letter half
way up the front of the jumper and in the middle I'll be happy. Have to
finish the baby knitting I'm doing first though. She now has three teeth and
is frantically chewing on everything- including my balls of wool.

Claire

"Katherine" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, Claire,
> What is a Harry Potter jumper?
> Katherine

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 16th 03, 02:10 PM
Easiest way to do that would be Duplicate Stitch aka Swiss darning, after
you're done knitting. Otherwise it would be intarsia. You could do a float
across the center of the P rather than use 2 separate intarsia strands, if
the distance isn't too great. Say, not more than 6 or 7 stitches.

| On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:32:26 +0100, "Claire" > wrote:

>Dear Katherine
>
>In the first Harry Potter book, Ron's mother (Mrs Weasley) knits each of her
>children a jumper and does one for Harry too. They are in different colours
>(I believe Harry's is darkish red, will have to check that) with a large H
>on the front. The other children have their own initial on theirs. In the
>film the jumpers (which were knitted in Rowan Yarn who have the pattern and
>kits for sale) were plain round neck jumpers with the initials on the front.
>My son has really enjoyed the book so I thought that I would knit him one -
>just a plain round necked jumper (I already have a pattern for that) with a
>large P on it. I just have to work out how to make a pattern for the letter.
>It doesn't matter if it isn't perfect. Mrs Weasley's knitting did not look
>very professional - very home made jumpers. As long as I get the letter half
>way up the front of the jumper and in the middle I'll be happy. Have to
>finish the baby knitting I'm doing first though. She now has three teeth and
>is frantically chewing on everything- including my balls of wool.
>
>Claire
>

>"Katherine" > wrote in message
om...
>> Hi, Claire,
>> What is a Harry Potter jumper?
>> Katherine

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 16th 03, 02:14 PM
| On 15 Jul 2003 18:52:00 GMT, (CMM PDX2) wrote:

>*sigh* Not reading to the end of threads, again...
>
>Helen, re that prickly pear - isn't the fruit also supposed to give a pretty
>good dye? Pink, if I remember right...vaguely...from someplace-or-other...<g>

Yes, I think it's a weaker version of the same stuff in the cochineal. The
bugs concentrate it in their bodies, I think. I could be wrong, but it
seems likely to me. Of course I could also just buy the fruit at the
hispanic market. ;)

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 16th 03, 02:18 PM
| On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:48:58 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>I was not swift there in picking up your drift......Well you are
>cultivating the silk worms why not cochineal as well. Do you need to have
>a tropical environment....???

I'm guessing not, since the plant doesn't need it. It does dye back in
winter but comes up again from the roots. Not sure what the critter does in
winter. Will be interesting to find out. I wonder if that web site on
Cochineal mentions such particulars.

>> >I do have lots and lots of Fernambuk or Red wood or Brazil wood. It is a
>> >fantastic dye. Reds purples pinks etc. It is an old one as well.
>>
>> Oh yes, I've used Brazilwood. Wonderful stuff. One of our local weaving
>> shops sells bags of it. I also have some shavings of Osage Orange wood that
>> I need to get round to playing with. Ran into a guy hand carving a
>> traditional bow out of it and he let me have all his shavings.
>
>have not dyed with Osage wood as yet, although someone in this group gave
>me some one time, (that is a very long time ago) When I tried to contact
>him for more info on the dyeing part, his E-mail address was faulty. It
>will keep for sure.

I think there's a recipe in one of my dye books. I bought a large reusable
tea bag at the oriental grocery to make life easier when dealing with all
these dye stuffs. I know some people use cheese cloth, but the bits always
get stuck in it, and with some of these woods, you can dry out the chips,
and save them to use again several times.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

CMM PDX2
July 16th 03, 02:37 PM
Helen wrote:

>Yes, I think it's a weaker version of the same stuff in the
>cochineal. The
>bugs concentrate it in their bodies, I think. I could be wrong, but
> it seems likely to me. Of course I could also just buy the fruit at
>the hispanic market. ;)

::snickering:: That sure would make for a larger supply of the fruit...if you
only have one prickly pear cactus...

(imagining Helen trying to see how much she can dye with maybe 2 liddle fruits)

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

NoraBalcer
July 16th 03, 03:27 PM
Monica,

Can I come pick berries with you? I mean raspberries, I love those things. I
know you can do it cheaper than I can buy them here. I paid $10 for 3 pints of
fresh picked ones last week. Highway robbery.

Hugs,

Nora

CMM PDX2
July 16th 03, 05:21 PM
Nora wrote:

>Can I come pick berries with you? I mean raspberries, I love
>those things. I
>know you can do it cheaper than I can buy them here. I paid
>$10 for 3 pints of
>fresh picked ones last week. Highway robbery

Gack!! ::thud:: Yegawds, Nora! Honestly, especially at the U-pick farms all
over here, there shouldn't be any problem finding 'em cheaper than *that*.
Hmm...I'm not really sure we have raspberries running wild around here, but
heck - you rent the car, we'll just head out to Sauvie Island down Hwy. 30
west. Only about 20 minutes away. Scads of U-pick berry farms there.
Practically anything else you could want, too.

I remember getting a huge amount of loganberries at a place out on Sauvie
Island the summer of 1980, when Mt. St. Helen's was exploding. Guess people
were worried about the volcanic ash. Pffffftttt. The ash washed off, and to be
double-sure, since the ash was acid, we added a tch of baking soda to
neutralize it. Dunked the berries first in that solution, then did the regular
rinsing, and no problems whatsoever. ;) Utterly delicious they were, too!

I don't go out and pick my own apples, but then - why should I? There's a local
truck farm only about 1/2 a mile away from me, right on my bus-line, that not
only sells the stuff they raise, but brings in boxes and boxes of apples and
other fruit from Hood River. <eg> I'm looking forward to being able to, at
last, afford a *bunch* of good Jonathan's for apple pies this year! And buy a
huge block of Tillamook Sharp cheddar. ::blissful sigh:: Maybe some filberts...
(uh, those are hazelnuts to the rest of the country, to everyone else reading
this. <g> Nora probably already knows we call 'em that out here, lord knows
why.)

LOL - to get back to dyeing - re blackberries, I remember in a natural dye book
I had ages ago, what the author wrote about dyeing with them. (she was Native
American, and included a lot of interesting info. too bad I can't remember her
name...sold the book long ago.) Loosely quoting, she pooh-pooh'd the
conventional wisdom that the color from blackberries was fugitive. Her question
was, if that was so, then why did blackberry pie stains on clothing stubbornly
refuse to come out? After thinking about it, she added some sugar and flour to
her blackberry-juice dyebath, simmered her alum-mordanted wool, and voila! Much
more permanent color. Anyone using berries of whatever sort might want to try
that. <g>

I always wanted to try red cabbage with a tin mordant; it's supposed to make a
pretty blue. Not that I'd wanna fuss with real tin salts, mind you; more poison
stuff. But you can always simmer your wool in a big tin can, that works just as
well. Just like using an iron pot will sadden the colors, and copper will
change 'em, too...Neat, some of the ways you can work around having to use the
nasty chemicals that could kill ya! But somehow I don't think using a chrome
hubcap for a dye vat would really substitute for chrome mordant. LOL!

Unfortunately, while I find natural dyes fascinating, I gave up on them long
ago. Way too much picking of stuff hard to find in a city; then there's the
mordanting. And doing it in an apartment?! Oy. Besides, I was leery of using
anything but alum for a mordant, which meant the majority of stuff I could find
on a picking expedition would produce yellows, tans and browns. Those are *not*
my colors, to put it mildly. But I love reading about them.

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

Claire
July 16th 03, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure what it is called but my method is just to use different
coloured yarn to make the stitches of the picture or pattern. I'll have to
look up 'intarsia' - this is the trouble of being mostly self-taught. Mum
showed me plain and purl stitches and the rest I picked up as I went along
and from asking grandmothers etc. I've done the darning thing before - that
is what you use to do little details in different colours on knitted
pictures, isn't it? I've done lots of picture jumpers but never known what
the method was called! Will do some more research- I'm already learning lots
by looking up things that you chaps are talking about that I have never
heard of before. It seems that my knitting background has been terribly
unadventurous!

Claire

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" > wrote in message
> Easiest way to do that would be Duplicate Stitch aka Swiss darning, after
> you're done knitting. Otherwise it would be intarsia. You could do a float
> across the center of the P rather than use 2 separate intarsia strands, if
> the distance isn't too great. Say, not more than 6 or 7 stitches.
>
> | On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:32:26 +0100, "Claire" > wrote:
>
> >Dear Katherine
> >
> >In the first Harry Potter book, Ron's mother (Mrs Weasley) knits each of
her
> >children a jumper and does one for Harry too. They are in different
colours
> >(I believe Harry's is darkish red, will have to check that) with a large
> >on the front. The other children have their own initial on theirs. In the
> >film the jumpers (which were knitted in Rowan Yarn who have the pattern
and
> >kits for sale) were plain round neck jumpers with the initials on the
front.
> >My son has really enjoyed the book so I thought that I would knit him
one -
> >just a plain round necked jumper (I already have a pattern for that) with
> >large P on it. I just have to work out how to make a pattern for the
letter.
> >It doesn't matter if it isn't perfect. Mrs Weasley's knitting did not
look
> >very professional - very home made jumpers. As long as I get the letter
half
> >way up the front of the jumper and in the middle I'll be happy. Have to
> >finish the baby knitting I'm doing first though. She now has three teeth
and
> >is frantically chewing on everything- including my balls of wool.
> >
> >Claire
> >

> >"Katherine" > wrote in message
> om...
> >> Hi, Claire,
> >> What is a Harry Potter jumper?
> >> Katherine
> >

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 16th 03, 11:02 PM
Intarsia is when you have a separate bit of yarn for each patch of color.
Fair isle is when you carry one color along behind the other so you have
short strands on the back bridging the distance between bits of the same
color. You generally use fair isle for all-over designs with short
distances between spots of the same color. Intarsia is best when you have a
wide space between use of the same color. I dare say no part of the letter
P is fat enough to make such a long float that it would be worth doing
intarsia. It would mean a second ball of your main color on the far side of
the P, if you did. Also it is seriously tricky to work intarsia in the
round. What you have, really is isolated fair isle, as you wouldn't need to
carry the P color all the way to the edges, just back and forth in that
small area.

| On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:39:27 +0100, "Claire" > wrote:

>I'm not sure what it is called but my method is just to use different
>coloured yarn to make the stitches of the picture or pattern. I'll have to
>look up 'intarsia' - this is the trouble of being mostly self-taught. Mum
>showed me plain and purl stitches and the rest I picked up as I went along
>and from asking grandmothers etc. I've done the darning thing before - that
>is what you use to do little details in different colours on knitted
>pictures, isn't it? I've done lots of picture jumpers but never known what
>the method was called! Will do some more research- I'm already learning lots
>by looking up things that you chaps are talking about that I have never
>heard of before. It seems that my knitting background has been terribly
>unadventurous!
>
>Claire

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 16th 03, 11:14 PM
In article >,
wrote:

snip snip

> I think there's a recipe in one of my dye books. I bought a large reusable
> tea bag at the oriental grocery to make life easier when dealing with all
> these dye stuffs. I know some people use cheese cloth, but the bits always
> get stuck in it, and with some of these woods, you can dry out the chips,
> and save them to use again several times.
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen, I soak my redwood overnight and warm it up to a simmer and hold for
one hour. I strain the wood shavings out of this bath (I do keep them
for a repeat dyebath). Now I use the dye bath and do not have problems
with the wood chips.

Otto made sawdust out of some of the wood chips (He can't do that anymore
it is evecting his lungs) The finer the wood shavings are the more
dyestuff you will obtain I have found.

A month ago I was visiting at my daugher's cottage in Georgian Bay. I
brought back a small amount of black lichen. I took a workshop with Judy
McGrath a long time ago. All about dyeing with lichens. One we used was
a black one ( forgotten the ong latin name), and with the aid of amonia,
gave a lovely purple. I am just hoping, but because there are so many
varieties of lichen, it is indeed only hope I have right now.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
July 17th 03, 09:21 PM
Anybody said BERRIES
i am lusting for those ,, one thing they need cold weather ,, when i
am in Europe , or was in Boston i ate BERRIES as much as i could ,,, i
stuffed myself with them ,,,,, a grown up woman with blue specks
around her mouth !!!
mirjam

>Monica,
>
>Can I come pick berries with you? I mean raspberries, I love those things. I
>know you can do it cheaper than I can buy them here. I paid $10 for 3 pints of
>fresh picked ones last week. Highway robbery.
>
>Hugs,
>
>Nora

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 21st 03, 02:38 PM
| On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:14:25 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>Helen, I soak my redwood overnight and warm it up to a simmer and hold for
>one hour. I strain the wood shavings out of this bath (I do keep them
>for a repeat dyebath). Now I use the dye bath and do not have problems
>with the wood chips.

I'm just too lazy to heft a big dye pot to strain it, hence the idea of
using the cloth tea bags. When I found an 8 x10 on at the Vietnamese
grocery, I forked over the cash immediately. Not that one can't sew one's
own drawstring bags out of mesh fabric, but this was there and ready and
cost less than buying the fabric.

>Otto made sawdust out of some of the wood chips (He can't do that anymore
>it is evecting his lungs) The finer the wood shavings are the more
>dyestuff you will obtain I have found.

You definitely don't want to be breathing that stuff! I've been known to
put dye stuffs through an old coffee mill, assuming the chips are small to
begin with. Heaven forbid anyone ever used some of my flea market kitchen
wares for food ever again!

>A month ago I was visiting at my daugher's cottage in Georgian Bay. I
>brought back a small amount of black lichen. I took a workshop with Judy
>McGrath a long time ago. All about dyeing with lichens. One we used was
>a black one ( forgotten the ong latin name), and with the aid of amonia,
>gave a lovely purple. I am just hoping, but because there are so many
>varieties of lichen, it is indeed only hope I have right now.

Oh I hope so! I sometimes find lichens on bits of dead wood and wonder, but
I haven't tried any of them. Ammonia, you say? Hmm.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 21st 03, 06:30 PM

Dam) wrote:

> Oh I hope so! I sometimes find lichens on bits of dead wood and wonder, but
> I haven't tried any of them. Ammonia, you say? Hmm.
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

I will put it in a glas jar right now so i can repord back to you,

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 22nd 03, 12:46 AM
| On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:30:47 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>> Oh I hope so! I sometimes find lichens on bits of dead wood and wonder, but
>> I haven't tried any of them. Ammonia, you say? Hmm.
>
>I will put it in a glas jar right now so i can repord back to you,

Cool! I can hardly wait. Speaking of the subject line, I marched out and
trimmed the other side of that mulberry by the road today. Got away with it
again! ;)

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 22nd 03, 03:13 AM

Dam) wrote:

> >> Oh I hope so! I sometimes find lichens on bits of dead wood and wonder, but
> >> I haven't tried any of them. Ammonia, you say? Hmm.
> >
> >I will put it in a glas jar right now so i can repord back to you,
> >

> Cool! I can hardly wait. Speaking of the subject line, I marched out and
> trimmed the other side of that mulberry by the road today. Got away with it
> again! ;)
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

They shoud thank you for keeping it prunned.....LOL

Eks

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 22nd 03, 04:10 AM
| On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:13:06 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>> Cool! I can hardly wait. Speaking of the subject line, I marched out and
>> trimmed the other side of that mulberry by the road today. Got away with it
>> again! ;)

>They shoud thank you for keeping it prunned.....LOL

Right! Now it not only doesn't stick out into the bike path, it won't stick
out toward the road, either. ;)

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 22nd 03, 04:10 PM
| On 21 Jul 2003 20:11:37 GMT, (CMM PDX2) wrote:

>Ok, little info is only what I vaguely remember from reading some book years
>and years ago. Years. And no, I have no idea which dyeing book this was, of
>course. Thus these *very* little bits of info. ;)

Sounds like we read the same book. I was all hot on the idea after seeing
the lichen-dyed stuff at a weaver's in Harris. Trouble was, I could not
tolerate that rough black-face wool against my skin, so I didn't buy any of
her cloth. Now I wish I had, even if it meant using thick lining.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 23rd 03, 01:50 AM
In article >,
(CMM PDX2) wrote:

> Helen wrote:
>
> >Sounds like we read the same book. I was all hot on the idea
> >after seeing the lichen-dyed stuff at a weaver's in Harris.
> >Trouble was, I could not tolerate that rough black-face wool
> >against my skin, so I didn't buy any of her cloth. Now I wish I
> >had, even if it meant using thick lining.
>
> LOL on reading the same book, Helen. Bet we did! Now, if we could just
remember
> the title, that'd be a big help!

Maybe I can help you with giving the two titles I have sitting on my bookselve.

Lichen for vegetable dyeing, by Eileen Bolton c.1960 and the other is
from Judy Waldner McGrath, Dyes from Lichens and Plants. c1977

The last one is the book a got when I took a workshop with Judy in Aug. of
1977. She had just come back form the Arctict

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 23rd 03, 02:27 PM
| On 22 Jul 2003 22:21:24 GMT, (CMM PDX2) wrote:

>LOL on reading the same book, Helen. Bet we did! Now, if we could just remember
>the title, that'd be a big help!

I'm not sure if there was ever more than one published on that specific
subject. Some more general ones may have included tidbits, like maybe The
Dye Pot, but I only recall one on dyeing with mushrooms and lichens. It's
on my bookshelf here, somewhere... Small, white paperbacks all look alike,
though.

>And oh, yeah on the Harris... Don't you hate regretting the temptations you
>*didn't* give in to?

I do, and I end up doing it all too often. I had traveler's checks left
over at the end of that trip. Most of them even. I could have given in, but
all I have now is the photos.

> I'd have the same problem, but oh, the fabric! Mom found
>some in Banff on a vacation we took when I was 14. Lighter-weight stuff, not
>meant for outerwear. It was still rough, but she did line it, and made a lovely
>skirt. Beautiful.

Yes, a lined skirt would have been appropriate, or a lined jacket, if I had
the skill. A simple skirt would be about it for my sewing skills, though.

> Sometimes I wish I'd inherited her sewing gene, along with
>the other crafty ones. She was a great seamstress; even took tailoring classes
>at our local community college. Me, I hate my sewing machine, it cordially
>hates me, and ne'er the twain shall meet. I haven't used the sucker for over 20
>years! Annoying, as when I still thought I could force myself to sew, I bought
>up some great fabrics...and being a size 3-4X now, I sure could *use* the
>clothes. Larger sizes are durned expensive, and hard to find at thrift stores!
>I need to find someone who'll trade sewing for knitting/spinning/dyeing/jewelry
>or something. <g>

Sounds like a plan to me. I have a huge stash of fabric and limited sewing
skills. Some, but limited. My sewing machine is well behaved, at least. ;)
I don't recall seeing sizes that large in any thrift stores around here. I
think people only donate clothes they out-grow. Heck, I have trouble
finding size 16 or XL in anything but tee shirts. XL is the only size you
see adult tee shirts in, some places. Good thing it fits me. I seem to be
the one person that the "one size" fits, but now that I've lost 20 pounds
they're getting loose on me. Loose is good, though.

>Speaking of spinning...today UPS just delivered a package of 3 lbs. of simply
>*gorgeous* chocolate brown raw fleece from a friend of mine in Montana. She
>raises a few sheep and some llamas, and sold this to me for $6/lb., bless her!
>It's from her new ram, who's only about 2 years old, and it's incredibly soft.

Oh drool. I love chocolate brown; colored fleece of all sorts, really
--especially soft ones.

>He's a real mix - I can't remember precisely - but there's Shetland and Jacob
>and, I think, Cormo or Corriedale in there. Wonderful crimp, thick and fine,
>and about 4" staple. Just perfect for a Cowichan/Salishan-style sweater I'm
>planning for my brother, once I lay my hands on a copy of Priscilla
>Gibson-Roberts' book 'Salish Indian Sweaters.' Which is gonna be reprinted next
>year, I hear!

I'm sold! Where do I get one of these fleeces? Some of the best fleeces
I've ever spun have been real mutts raised by someone who paid more
attention to color and hand than things like breed names.

>I've already got an entire white fleece from the same friend for the sweater -
>a Rambouillet/Columbia cross; also wonderfully soft, about 5 lbs. Plus I'll be
>using the last of a silver-brown NZ fleece I've got; so should have plenty of
>wool for the thick singles needed. I'm really looking forward to spinning the
>wool for this sweater, even though it may be another couple of years before I
>can make it! That's ok; I can keep researching design ideas on the web for what
>motifs I'll use in it. <g> My brother's nuts about NW Coast Indian designs.
>Well, so am I; growing up in the PNW, you'd have to be a total clod not to be
>at least *interested* in their fantastic art! It's kinda fun, having a project
>that'll take a few years. ;))

Oh my. I'd have to haul out special equipment to spin thick singles and
fight every instinct my fingers have learned! I do have a very low ratio
head for one of my spinning wheels, designed for that very purpose, though.
It's bobbin-lead with a 1" orifice and a huge bobbin.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 23rd 03, 02:31 PM
| On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:50:12 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>> LOL on reading the same book, Helen. Bet we did! Now, if we could just
>remember
>> the title, that'd be a big help!
>

>Maybe I can help you with giving the two titles I have sitting on my bookselve.
>
>Lichen for vegetable dyeing, by Eileen Bolton c.1960 and the other is
>from Judy Waldner McGrath, Dyes from Lichens and Plants. c1977
>
>The last one is the book a got when I took a workshop with Judy in Aug. of
>1977. She had just come back form the Arctict
>
>Els

Wow! 2 more books to look for!
I found the one I own. It's Mushrooms for Color by Miriam C. Rice c.1980

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

CMM PDX2
July 27th 03, 09:07 PM
Helen wrote (in response to my ramblings, which I won't quote much of to save
bandwidth. it's still gonna be a humongous post! <g>):

>I'm not sure if there was ever more than one published on that specific
>subject. Some more general ones may have included tidbits, like maybe The
>Dye Pot, but I only recall one on dyeing with mushrooms and lichens. It's
>on my bookshelf here, somewhere... Small, white paperbacks all look alike,
>though.

You know, I'm sure it *must* have been the same book! Small, white paperback
rings a loud bell. Think we got that one from the library - and it sure sounds
familiar, mushrooms and lichens. LOL; as you said, probably not more than one
ever published on that specifically. I do remember it was very interesting.

>>And oh, yeah on the Harris... Don't you hate regretting the temptations you
>>*didn't* give in to?
>
>I do, and I end up doing it all too often. I had traveler's checks left
>over at the end of that trip. Most of them even. I could have given in, but
>all I have now is the photos.

Argh!! I know...I do the same thing. Well, when I had the money. <g> And now I
do have some - well, more at least - so I'm determined to give in to as many
temptations as I can when I go on trips! Hee.

<snip>
>> Sometimes I wish I'd inherited her sewing gene, along with
>>the other crafty ones. She was a great seamstress;
<snip>

>Sounds like a plan to me. I have a huge stash of fabric and limited sewing
>skills. Some, but limited. My sewing machine is well behaved, at least. ;)
>I don't recall seeing sizes that large in any thrift stores around here. I
>think people only donate clothes they out-grow. Heck, I have trouble
>finding size 16 or XL in anything but tee shirts. XL is the only size you
>see adult tee shirts in, some places. Good thing it fits me. I seem to be
>the one person that the "one size" fits, but now that I've lost 20 pounds
>they're getting loose on me. Loose is good, though.

Well, congrats! I could do with losing a lot myself, but I don't worry about it
too much. ;)) And yes on sizes - gack, it can be a pain. Especially since my
'top' is one size, and my 'bottom', literally, is 2 sizes larger. Fortunately,
I can now afford to scope out places like Ross and Target; even those were out
of my price range until now. Whee! But I do regret all that lovely fabric just
sitting there. I don't want to give it away, because I love it, and have hopes
that *someday* I'll force myself to use the durned stuff. Heck, I might have to
go the hand-sewing route. It'd take forever, but I'd rather do that than fool
with my evil demon of a sewing machine. Boy, wish I had Mom's old 1950's
Singer...

<snip>
>Oh drool. I love chocolate brown; colored fleece of all sorts, really
>--especially soft ones.
>
>>He's a real mix - I can't remember precisely - but there's Shetland and
>>Jacob and, I think, Cormo or Corriedale in there. Wonderful crimp, thick and
>>fine, and about 4" staple. Just perfect for a Cowichan/Salishan-style sweater
>>I'm planning for my brother, once I lay my hands on a copy of Priscilla
>>Gibson-Roberts' book 'Salish Indian Sweaters.'
>
>I'm sold! Where do I get one of these fleeces? Some of the best fleeces
>I've ever spun have been real mutts raised by someone who paid more
>attention to color and hand than things like breed names.

Well, I stuck the above firmly into my swiss-cheese brain, and remembered to
ask Lisa about it in chat today. (luckily, despite it being Fair time for her,
she made it to chat.) After I post this, I'll be emailing you with contact info
for her, Helen. She's sold all of the ram's fleece for this year, I think, or
used it herself; but I'm sure she'd be glad to save his next year's shearing
for you, if you like. (his name is Chip, btw. <g> and she won a blue ribbon at
the Fair with the skein she spun from his fleece. this is her first year
spinning, too, with only a few in-person lessons with someone local, and what
advice I could send her by email; I'm so proud of her!) If she doesn't have any
un-spun samples left, I could send you a few locks of what she sent me, so you
can see what it's like raw. Also, she has two black Shetland fleeces left this
year - and she says they're really *black*! I'd forgotten that she bought
something like 3 or 6 Shetland ewes along with Chip this year. So in a few
years, she should be getting some really good crosses with Chip, the Shetland
ewes, and her white Rambouillet/Columbia ewes. With his background, the crosses
will probably produce a lovely bunch of different colors!

<more snippage of my stuff re Salish sweater yarn>

>Oh my. I'd have to haul out special equipment to spin thick singles and
>fight every instinct my fingers have learned! I do have a very low ratio
>head for one of my spinning wheels, designed for that very purpose, though.
>It's bobbin-lead with a 1" orifice and a huge bobbin.

Oooooh, nice... Dad designed the wheel he made for me with a little insert for
the orifice, which he left pretty large. Leave it out if I want to spin bulky,
add the insert if I want to spin fine, so the yarn doesn't wobble all over. And
as well as having *3* various-depth grooves on the drive wheel for the head, he
made the bobbins with 2 different diameter drive-band grooves, too. So that
wheel has almost infinitely variable adjustments! (yes, Dad was a genius. <g>
I'm not sure if in my will, I should tell my stepdaughter to sell that wheel
for $$$$, or donate it to a museum somewhere...fortunately he signed everything
he made!)

Anyway, I should be able to spin a Cowichan-style singles with it. I know what
you mean about the instincts, though! I keep finding myself spinning really
fine - and when you *don't* want yarn that's laceweight, or perfectly smooth,
it's really annoying, LOL! (I was boggling at myself when spinning a few ounces
of alpaca a friend gave me years ago...I was getting it only a few fibers
thick, and I didn't think I could *do* that! amazing what you can learn.) If it
doesn't work on his wheel, I may have to cobble up a Navaho-style spindle,
which shouldn't be too hard. A looong dowel, a wide kid's toy wooden wheel - I
think you suggested that, some time ago, in one of your posts - and Bob's your
uncle. I've got several spindles Dad made, too, but the shafts aren't really
long enough to build up decently-sized skeins for really bulky yarn. Nor are
the whorls that wide. Well, I never knew I'd be wanting to spin huge yarn. <g>
If I had, he would've made me a Navajo spindle! Makes me wish I had access to a
wood-lathe, and knew how to handle one without the possibility of bodily harm.
;)) But that's one craft I never really got interested in, alas. *Now* I think
of it... *sigh*

Ok, I'm gonna shaddap, write that email, and stop tantalizing you. <g>

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 27th 03, 09:55 PM
| On 27 Jul 2003 20:07:11 GMT, (CMM PDX2) wrote:

>You know, I'm sure it *must* have been the same book! Small, white paperback
>rings a loud bell. Think we got that one from the library - and it sure sounds
>familiar, mushrooms and lichens. LOL; as you said, probably not more than one
>ever published on that specifically. I do remember it was very interesting.

And I just found I have another one specifically about lichens. When I was
looking for something else, of course! Lichen Dyes: The New Sourcebook by
Karen Diadick Casselman.

>>>And oh, yeah on the Harris... Don't you hate regretting the temptations you
>>>*didn't* give in to?
>>
>Argh!! I know...I do the same thing. Well, when I had the money. <g> And now I
>do have some - well, more at least - so I'm determined to give in to as many
>temptations as I can when I go on trips! Hee.

Me TOO! Some things you never see a second time.

>Well, congrats! I could do with losing a lot myself, but I don't worry about it
>too much. ;)) And yes on sizes - gack, it can be a pain. Especially since my
>'top' is one size, and my 'bottom', literally, is 2 sizes larger. Fortunately,
>I can now afford to scope out places like Ross and Target; even those were out
>of my price range until now. Whee! But I do regret all that lovely fabric just
>sitting there. I don't want to give it away, because I love it, and have hopes
>that *someday* I'll force myself to use the durned stuff. Heck, I might have to
>go the hand-sewing route. It'd take forever, but I'd rather do that than fool
>with my evil demon of a sewing machine. Boy, wish I had Mom's old 1950's
>Singer...

If they're really nice fabrics, collecting them is a hobby in itself,
right? ;)

><snip>

>Well, I stuck the above firmly into my swiss-cheese brain, and remembered to
>ask Lisa about it in chat today. (luckily, despite it being Fair time for her,
>she made it to chat.) After I post this, I'll be emailing you with contact info
>for her, Helen. She's sold all of the ram's fleece for this year, I think, or
>used it herself; but I'm sure she'd be glad to save his next year's shearing
>for you, if you like.

[snip] Not that I actually NEED fleece at the moment of course. ;)

>Oooooh, nice... Dad designed the wheel he made for me with a little insert for
>the orifice, which he left pretty large. Leave it out if I want to spin bulky,
>add the insert if I want to spin fine, so the yarn doesn't wobble all over. And
>as well as having *3* various-depth grooves on the drive wheel for the head, he
>made the bobbins with 2 different diameter drive-band grooves, too. So that
>wheel has almost infinitely variable adjustments! (yes, Dad was a genius. <g>
>I'm not sure if in my will, I should tell my stepdaughter to sell that wheel
>for $$$$, or donate it to a museum somewhere...fortunately he signed everything
>he made!)

Well, one way you'll make a spinner very happy and the other way it may
languish in the museum's storage facility. (Can you tell which way I lean?)

>Anyway, I should be able to spin a Cowichan-style singles with it. I know what
>you mean about the instincts, though! I keep finding myself spinning really
>fine - and when you *don't* want yarn that's laceweight, or perfectly smooth,
>it's really annoying, LOL! (I was boggling at myself when spinning a few ounces
>of alpaca a friend gave me years ago...I was getting it only a few fibers
>thick, and I didn't think I could *do* that! amazing what you can learn.) If it
>doesn't work on his wheel, I may have to cobble up a Navaho-style spindle,
>which shouldn't be too hard. A looong dowel, a wide kid's toy wooden wheel - I
>think you suggested that, some time ago, in one of your posts - and Bob's your
>uncle. I've got several spindles Dad made, too, but the shafts aren't really
>long enough to build up decently-sized skeins for really bulky yarn. Nor are
>the whorls that wide. Well, I never knew I'd be wanting to spin huge yarn. <g>
>If I had, he would've made me a Navajo spindle! Makes me wish I had access to a
>wood-lathe, and knew how to handle one without the possibility of bodily harm.
>;)) But that's one craft I never really got interested in, alas. *Now* I think
>of it... *sigh*

Must have been somebody else. I never did make a Navaho-style spindle or
even learn to use one! Anyway, sounds like a you've got a fun spinning
project ahead of you.

>Ok, I'm gonna shaddap, write that email, and stop tantalizing you. <g>

Grin.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 27th 03, 10:44 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> | On 27 Jul 2003 20:07:11 GMT, (CMM PDX2) wrote:

Helen and Monica. I have been working with roving pencil thickness....no
drafting needed, for my locker hooking rug ( it is right now yelling at
me from underneath the bed to come and work on it.....before I forget what
I was doing....sigh) You just feed the roving in undrafted, count your
treading and it works well. I have an electric spinner someone in the
Guild gave away. Otto fixed the broken parts and it works well. I also
have a home made wheel where you can take the orfice out if you want to
spin a heavy yarn. So Helen, it should not be all the hard to spin a
heavy yarn as long as you donot need to do drafting of fibers. I find
that very hard as well.

Karen Casselman is a great dyer, and very much in for using less and less
chemicals.

Els

Els

> [...]
> >the whorls that wide. Well, I never knew I'd be wanting to spin huge
yarn. <g>
> >If I had, he would've made me a Navajo spindle! Makes me wish I had
access to a
> >wood-lathe, and knew how to handle one without the possibility of
bodily harm.
> >;)) But that's one craft I never really got interested in, alas. *Now*
I think
> >of it... *sigh*
>
> Must have been somebody else. I never did make a Navaho-style spindle or
> even learn to use one! Anyway, sounds like a you've got a fun spinning
> project ahead of you.
>
> >Ok, I'm gonna shaddap, write that email, and stop tantalizing you. <g>
> >
> Grin.
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA

July 28th 03, 01:09 PM
| On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:44:22 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>o Helen, it should not be all the hard to spin a
>heavy yarn as long as you donot need to do drafting of fibers. I find
>that very hard as well.

I know. The hardest part is resisting the draft! ;)
The fingers want to do it!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 29th 03, 12:38 PM
| On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:38:35 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>> >o Helen, it should not be all the hard to spin a
>> >heavy yarn as long as you donot need to do drafting of fibers. I find
>> >that very hard as well.
>>
>> I know. The hardest part is resisting the draft! ;)
>> The fingers want to do it!
>
>use pencil roving and do not draft it works.......

Been there, done that, but it was still a conscious effort not to draft!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Google