PDA

View Full Version : Antique finds! *knitting books*

Noreen's Knit*che
July 11th 03, 11:20 PM
Hi!
I've just purchased two very old knitting books, in excellent condition!

Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
September 1938
Hodder and Stoughton

Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
July 1943
Hodder and Stoughton

I'm really excited, because the pattern book has so many patterns I've
NEVER seen before, and the knitting book has 'tips' I've either forgotten
about or am just learning new!

Had to share,
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447

http://www.myegroups.com/
Group Code:
3258C1
Picot Page

Group Code:
32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins.

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/picot-page
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eTat-eCrochet-eKnit-etc
http://messageboard466928.aimoo.com

Shillelagh
July 11th 03, 11:32 PM
Lucky, lucky girl !! Enjoy your books, and if there's anything really
really special, please tell us about it!!
Shelagh

"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
> Hi!
> I've just purchased two very old knitting books, in excellent condition!
>
> Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
> September 1938
> Hodder and Stoughton
>
> Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
> July 1943
> Hodder and Stoughton
>
> I'm really excited, because the pattern book has so many patterns I've
> NEVER seen before, and the knitting book has 'tips' I've either forgotten
> about or am just learning new!
>
> Had to share,
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> --
> Noreen's Knit*che
> NATA #447
> (my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')
>
> http://www.myegroups.com/
> Group Code:
> 3258C1
> Picot Page
>
> Group Code:
> 32B6E6
> Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins.
>

> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/picot-page
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eTat-eCrochet-eKnit-etc
> http://messageboard466928.aimoo.com

Noreen's Knit*che
July 11th 03, 11:46 PM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:32:06 -0500, Shillelagh wrote:

> Lucky, lucky girl !! Enjoy your books, and if there's anything
> really
> really special, please tell us about it!!
> Shelagh

I will, Shelagh! And, I do know how lucky I am, these were a FIND!
Hugs,
Noreen

Allaya Diep
July 13th 03, 07:52 AM
Wow! Good job! Have you eye-ed any potential projects yet? :) Can you
scan some pictures? I love looking at designs from that era.

Allaya

"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
> Hi!
> I've just purchased two very old knitting books, in excellent condition!
>
> Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
> September 1938
> Hodder and Stoughton
>
> Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
> July 1943
> Hodder and Stoughton
>
> I'm really excited, because the pattern book has so many patterns I've
> NEVER seen before, and the knitting book has 'tips' I've either forgotten
> about or am just learning new!
>
> Had to share,
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
> --
> Noreen's Knit*che
> NATA #447
> (my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')
>
> http://www.myegroups.com/
> Group Code:
> 3258C1
> Picot Page
>
> Group Code:
> 32B6E6
> Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins.
>

> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/picot-page
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eTat-eCrochet-eKnit-etc
> http://messageboard466928.aimoo.com

Sue Carlson Dunn
July 13th 03, 09:05 AM
"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
> Hi!
> I've just purchased two very old knitting books, in excellent
condition!

> Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
> September 1938
> Hodder and Stoughton
>
> Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
> July 1943
> Hodder and Stoughton
>
> I'm really excited, because the pattern book has so many patterns
I've
> NEVER seen before, and the knitting book has 'tips' I've either
forgotten
> about or am just learning new!

Oooooh! I'm green with envy! Where did you get them? I love old
patterns - just missed landing one from 1918 on ebay about a week
ago - some of the thirties and forties patterns are so stylish. If
you do make up anything, be sure to remember that things were a much
closer fit then. Enjoy your books!
--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 13th 03, 02:53 PM
Cool! I've seen paperback reprints of the first one, but not the second. Of
course I might just have missed it.

| On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:20:43 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che > wrote:

>Hi!
>I've just purchased two very old knitting books, in excellent condition!
>
>Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
>September 1938
>Hodder and Stoughton
>
>Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
>July 1943
>Hodder and Stoughton
>
>I'm really excited, because the pattern book has so many patterns I've
>NEVER seen before, and the knitting book has 'tips' I've either forgotten
>about or am just learning new!
>
>Had to share,
>Hugs,
>Noreen

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Noreen's Knit*che
July 13th 03, 03:22 PM
In article >,
says...
> Oooooh! I'm green with envy! Where did you get them? I love old
> patterns - just missed landing one from 1918 on ebay about a week
> ago - some of the thirties and forties patterns are so stylish. If
> you do make up anything, be sure to remember that things were a much
> closer fit then. Enjoy your books!
> --
> Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
> Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com
> Sue's Project Pages www.howhill.com/projects
> Please take off your shoes to email me!

Hi Sue!
I got them at an Antique store, and believe it or not, they were only
$5.00 apiece!
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

http://www.myegroups.com
Group Code:
3258C1
Picot Page

Group Code:
32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins.

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/picot-page
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eTat-eCrochet-eKnit-etc
http://messageboard466928.aimoo.com

Noreen's Knit*che
July 13th 03, 03:24 PM
In article >, "Helen \"Halla\"
Fleischer" > says...
> Cool! I've seen paperback reprints of the first one, but not the second. Of
> course I might just have missed it.
>
> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Hi Helen!
My copies are the original hardcovers! They are in REALLY great
condition too... I got them at an Antique store here in central TN... and
paid only $5.00 apiece for them.
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

http://www.myegroups.com
Group Code:
3258C1
Picot Page

Group Code:
32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins.

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/picot-page
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eTat-eCrochet-eKnit-etc
http://messageboard466928.aimoo.com

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 13th 03, 03:33 PM
| On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:24:46 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che > wrote:

>> Cool! I've seen paperback reprints of the first one, but not the second. Of
>> course I might just have missed it.

>Hi Helen!
>My copies are the original hardcovers! They are in REALLY great
>condition too... I got them at an Antique store here in central TN... and
>paid only $5.00 apiece for them.
>Hugs,
>Noreen

Yes, I figured they must be, judging by the dates you gave. Which makes
them that much better than the paperback reprints, of course. Guess I
didn't put it well.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

MaryR
July 13th 03, 04:17 PM
"Allaya Diep" > wrote in message
> Wow! Good job! Have you eye-ed any potential projects
yet? :) Can you
> scan some pictures? I love looking at designs from that
era.

> Allaya
>
> "Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
> > Hi!
> > I've just purchased two very old knitting books, in
excellent condition!

> > Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
> > September 1938
> > Hodder and Stoughton
> >
> > Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
> > July 1943
> > Hodder and Stoughton
> >
> > I'm really excited, because the pattern book has so many
patterns I've
> > NEVER seen before, and the knitting book has 'tips' I've
either forgotten
> > about or am just learning new!
> >
> > Had to share,
> > Hugs,
> > Noreen
> >
> > --
> > Noreen's Knit*che
> > NATA #447
> > (my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')
> >
> > http://www.myegroups.com/
> > Group Code:
> > 3258C1
> > Picot Page
> >
> > Group Code:
> > 32B6E6
> > Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins.
> >

> > http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/picot-page

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eTat-eCrochet-eKnit-etc

> > http://messageboard466928.aimoo.com

Richard Eney
July 14th 03, 06:37 AM
In article >,
Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer > wrote:
> Noreen's Knit*che > wrote:
>
>>> Cool! I've seen paperback reprints of the first one, but not the second.
>>> Of course I might just have missed it.

>>My copies are the original hardcovers! They are in REALLY great
>>condition too... I got them at an Antique store here in central TN...
>>and paid only $5.00 apiece for them.

>Yes, I figured they must be, judging by the dates you gave. Which makes
>them that much better than the paperback reprints, of course. Guess I
>didn't put it well.

I have both the reprints - Dover did them - and I also have a hardcover
copy of the first one, though it's a later printing. $5 is a really good
buy for the hardcovers, cheaper than the paperbacks are. Every so often
I dig them out and I'm surprised all over again at how much information
is in them.

=Tamar

Google