PDA

View Full Version : Ot Ne book Question

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
July 11th 03, 09:06 AM
My Interweave knits was waiting for me when i came home, First for
those interested in ruffles there are several projects and ads showing
ruffles .
I wanted to ask, if anyone has already the cahnce to look into the
book advertised there [p10]
Knitting for Anarchists , By Anna Zilboorg ,,, i just need to know ???
just my kind of Name to catch my eye and intrigue me ,,,,
mirjam

Noreen's Knit*che
July 11th 03, 02:36 PM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:06:36 -0500, wrote:
> My Interweave knits was waiting for me when i came home, First for
> those interested in ruffles there are several projects and ads
> showing
> ruffles .
> I wanted to ask, if anyone has already the cahnce to look into the
> book advertised there [p10]
> Knitting for Anarchists , By Anna Zilboorg ,,, i just need to know
> ???
> just my kind of Name to catch my eye and intrigue me ,,,,
> mirjam

I thought it sounded quite interesting too, Mirjam.
Hugs,
Noreen

=A0 Noreen's Knit*che
=A0 NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)
=A0
=A0
http://www.myegroups.com/http://www.myegroups.com/
=A0
Group Code:
=A0 3258C1
Picot Page
=A0
Group Code:
=A0 32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins
=A0

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 12th 03, 04:10 PM
It struck me as the latest in a long line of books aimed at giving people
permission to experiment with their knitting. Personally, I gave myself
that permission about 30 years ago!

| On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:17:43 GMT, "SlinkyToy" > wrote:

>I haven't laid hands on a copy, but several folks who have tell me it is
>uncharacteristically simple for AZ. One gal told me it struck her as AZ's
>(belated) effort to get on the Knitting Renaissance Bandwagon with a
>"knitting for twits" type publication.
>
>"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" > wrote in message
>> My Interweave knits was waiting for me when i came home, First for
>> those interested in ruffles there are several projects and ads showing
>> ruffles .
>> I wanted to ask, if anyone has already the cahnce to look into the
>> book advertised there [p10]
>> Knitting for Anarchists , By Anna Zilboorg ,,, i just need to know ???
>> just my kind of Name to catch my eye and intrigue me ,,,,
>> mirjam

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
July 13th 03, 08:41 AM
Thank you Slinky and Helen , as i wonder on which book to spend my not
too large self budget, your insights are worth Purls !!!!sorry meant
to write Pearls of course !!!!
So buy it or not buy it ? is the question??? I think me too Helen have
slowly loosened the grips of "Must and Must not rules" about 30 minus
plus years and still am breaking some rules every time ,,,
mirjam

>It struck me as the latest in a long line of books aimed at giving people
>permission to experiment with their knitting. Personally, I gave myself
>that permission about 30 years ago!
>
>| On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:17:43 GMT, "SlinkyToy" > wrote:
>
>>I haven't laid hands on a copy, but several folks who have tell me it is
>>uncharacteristically simple for AZ. One gal told me it struck her as AZ's
>>(belated) effort to get on the Knitting Renaissance Bandwagon with a
>>"knitting for twits" type publication.
>>
>>"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" > wrote in message
>>> My Interweave knits was waiting for me when i came home, First for
>>> those interested in ruffles there are several projects and ads showing
>>> ruffles .
>>> I wanted to ask, if anyone has already the cahnce to look into the
>>> book advertised there [p10]
>>> Knitting for Anarchists , By Anna Zilboorg ,,, i just need to know ???
>>> just my kind of Name to catch my eye and intrigue me ,,,,
>>> mirjam
>>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 13th 03, 02:50 PM
| On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:41:33 GMT, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

>Thank you Slinky and Helen , as i wonder on which book to spend my not
>too large self budget, your insights are worth Purls !!!!sorry meant
>to write Pearls of course !!!!
>So buy it or not buy it ? is the question??? I think me too Helen have
>slowly loosened the grips of "Must and Must not rules" about 30 minus
>plus years and still am breaking some rules every time ,,,
>mirjam

Which is why it's especially funny that I just bought a 2 volume set books
called The Right Way to Knit! What can I say? I was walking into the
library sale room as one of the workers was putting something on the
needlecraft shelf, so I looked. At $1 each, they seemed to have more than
enough hints in them to be worth adding to my collection.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 13th 03, 03:36 PM
| On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:26:24 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>I find that typical of most magazines policies. Most of the magazines I
>read now I buy when I want them. I still subscribe some of the younger
>members in our family and friend's circles to Owl and Chickadee and Chirp
>magazines. These are Canandian publications, although the publisher is
>now French.

I wouldn't mind all the extra notices, if I didn't miss issues in my
subscriptions! That seems to happen more and more often lately.

>The bad thing about single issues is that you can't always get the ones
>you want.

So true!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Katherine
July 13th 03, 03:54 PM
(Els van Dam) wrote
Most of the magazines I
> read now I buy when I want them. I still subscribe some of the younger
> members in our family and friend's circles to Owl and Chickadee and Chirp
> magazines. These are Canandian publications, although the publisher is
> now French.
>
> They do that as well. I always return these requests with a note to tell
> them I will renew until one month ahead of the due date, but not a half a
> year ahead of time. In the end, "I get the feeling" that you renew sooner
> and sooner and end up paying a whole year extra. I also know that most
> magazines are hanging in there by the skin of their teeths. many little
> publicatons loose this battle. I still do not think that i have to renew
> that far ahead of time. See Helen.....I certainly have a bone to pick
> here, you got me started....LOL

I agree with you, Els. I have renewed subscriptions well in advance,
only to have the magazine close down and I lost my money. I also live
on a budget, and really can't afford to do this. My local newsagent
has finally been ablt to get one of the magazines I want, but so far,
no FCEK. So I get that one when I am in Halifax, or ask my DIL to get
it for me. For me, it is cheaper to buy some of them on the newsstand
than to subscribe to them.

> The bad thing about single issues is that you can't always get the ones
> you want.

Yes! I hate it when that happens!
Katherine

Katherine
July 13th 03, 03:55 PM
(Els van Dam) wrote
Most of the magazines I
> read now I buy when I want them. I still subscribe some of the younger
> members in our family and friend's circles to Owl and Chickadee and Chirp
> magazines. These are Canandian publications, although the publisher is
> now French.
>
> They do that as well. I always return these requests with a note to tell
> them I will renew until one month ahead of the due date, but not a half a
> year ahead of time. In the end, "I get the feeling" that you renew sooner
> and sooner and end up paying a whole year extra. I also know that most
> magazines are hanging in there by the skin of their teeths. many little
> publicatons loose this battle. I still do not think that i have to renew
> that far ahead of time. See Helen.....I certainly have a bone to pick
> here, you got me started....LOL

I agree with you, Els. I have renewed subscriptions well in advance,
only to have the magazine close down and I lost my money. I also live
on a budget, and really can't afford to do this. My local newsagent
has finally been ablt to get one of the magazines I want, but so far,
no FCEK. So I get that one when I am in Halifax, or ask my DIL to get
it for me. For me, it is cheaper to buy some of them on the newsstand
than to subscribe to them.

> The bad thing about single issues is that you can't always get the ones
> you want.

Yes! I hate it when that happens!
Katherine

spampot
July 13th 03, 04:12 PM
I agree, but there are probably a lot of people like me out there who
aren't particularly daring or self-confident, and need guidelines on how
to experiment...just as some people really need to follow recipes for
years before they grasp what can and can't be experimented with for
cooking. I've taken what I considered daring steps in knitting, and
most have worked out, but they're pretty wimpy compared to, say, yours
or Slinky's or Mirjam's!

Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:
> It struck me as the latest in a long line of books aimed at giving people
> permission to experiment with their knitting. Personally, I gave myself
> that permission about 30 years ago!
>
> | On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:17:43 GMT, "SlinkyToy" > wrote:
>

>>I haven't laid hands on a copy, but several folks who have tell me it is
>>uncharacteristically simple for AZ. One gal told me it struck her as AZ's
>>(belated) effort to get on the Knitting Renaissance Bandwagon with a
>>"knitting for twits" type publication.
>>
>>"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" > wrote in message
>>
>>>My Interweave knits was waiting for me when i came home, First for
>>>those interested in ruffles there are several projects and ads showing
>>>ruffles .
>>>I wanted to ask, if anyone has already the cahnce to look into the
>>>book advertised there [p10]
>>>Knitting for Anarchists , By Anna Zilboorg ,,, i just need to know ???
>>>just my kind of Name to catch my eye and intrigue me ,,,,
>>>mirjam
>>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 13th 03, 09:00 PM
I think if I didn't already have so many knitting books in that genre, I
might be tempted, but I have such a big collection that I'm very hard to
tempt these days, especially at new book prices.

| On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:12:37 -0400, spampot > wrote:

>I agree, but there are probably a lot of people like me out there who
>aren't particularly daring or self-confident, and need guidelines on how
>to experiment...just as some people really need to follow recipes for
>years before they grasp what can and can't be experimented with for
>cooking. I've taken what I considered daring steps in knitting, and
>most have worked out, but they're pretty wimpy compared to, say, yours
>or Slinky's or Mirjam's!
>
>Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:
>> It struck me as the latest in a long line of books aimed at giving people
>> permission to experiment with their knitting. Personally, I gave myself
>> that permission about 30 years ago!
>>
>> | On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:17:43 GMT, "SlinkyToy" > wrote:
>>

>>>I haven't laid hands on a copy, but several folks who have tell me it is
>>>uncharacteristically simple for AZ. One gal told me it struck her as AZ's
>>>(belated) effort to get on the Knitting Renaissance Bandwagon with a
>>>"knitting for twits" type publication.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Els van Dam
July 13th 03, 11:15 PM
In article >,
(Katherine) wrote:

> (Els van Dam) wrote
> Most of the magazines I
> > read now I buy when I want them. I still subscribe some of the younger
> > members in our family and friend's circles to Owl and Chickadee and Chirp

snip snip, snip snip

> Yes! I hate it when that happens!
> Katherine

Katherine, can't say how good it is to hear from you.....even
echo's...... three no less........I hear you loud and clear...... You are
coming through right to the other side of the country...LOL

Hope you are having a good time out there on the East coast,

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
July 14th 03, 05:29 AM
At a Dollar each Helen !
the Right way is TO BUY them ,,, one can always take the Wrong way for
free ,,,,,
mirjam

Els van Dam
July 15th 03, 05:25 PM
In article >,
(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

> I have found another problem with subscriptions , it happened twice to
> 2 separate mags , that even though i pay always for 2 years, they
> notified me after a year that it expired , and if i hadn`t noted it on
> a card and checked , i would have paid twice. I settled it but it
> unsettled my belief in their system.
> mirjam

I quess it is buyer beware.....you always have to check everything that
needs payment, I find. We bought lots of groceries, last week for over
$300 in one time. We always check the bill and there are always
mistakes. This time we bought I pack smoky sausages, and were charged for
two.....that is a difference of $6. Thus you troop back to the store and
get it corrected....story of my life......LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Katherine Burgess
July 22nd 03, 02:10 AM
"Els van Dam" wrote >
> snip snip, snip snip
>
> Katherine, can't say how good it is to hear from you.....even
> echo's...... three no less........

LOL That is why I don't like google! Now I am home, so no more repeats, I
hope! <g>
Katherine

Google