PDA

View Full Version : No shriek this time, just a heavy sigh

spampot
July 7th 03, 02:15 AM
....as I get halfway through the cast-on, thinking wow, I really am
casting on loosely, good for me...until I run out of yarn. At this
point I wish I'd taken good ol' Slinky's advice & rewound the friggin
ball of yarn so I could tie the two ends together. Oh well.

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 7th 03, 03:09 PM
| On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:15:14 -0400, spampot > wrote:

>...as I get halfway through the cast-on, thinking wow, I really am
>casting on loosely, good for me...until I run out of yarn. At this
>point I wish I'd taken good ol' Slinky's advice & rewound the friggin
>ball of yarn so I could tie the two ends together. Oh well.

Third time's the charm, I hope! I'm sure saving your posts and learning
what NOT to do in case I ever try this! When I did a mobius, I just did an
e-wrap cast-on of half the stitches, then went in with my needle and knit
the bottom edge of the cast-on for the first round. Not that I can find
where I put the finished thing. It's utterly lost, after all that work. And
it was qiviut, too! Would not be surprised to find the cat had stolen it or
that I'd put it somewhere far too safe, to keep them from it.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Allaya Diep
July 7th 03, 06:56 PM
Oh no! :D That's not a good thing. Have you considered trying a Russian
Join? It makes things a lot easier (at least for me)

Allaya

"spampot" > wrote in message
> ...as I get halfway through the cast-on, thinking wow, I really am
> casting on loosely, good for me...until I run out of yarn. At this
> point I wish I'd taken good ol' Slinky's advice & rewound the friggin
> ball of yarn so I could tie the two ends together. Oh well.

NoraBalcer
July 7th 03, 07:03 PM
Spampot,

Well, as they say, practice makes perfect so the next time you cast on you
should succeed.

Hugs,

Nora

Els van Dam
July 7th 03, 09:25 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> | On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:15:14 -0400, spampot > wrote:
>
> >...as I get halfway through the cast-on, thinking wow, I really am
> >casting on loosely, good for me...until I run out of yarn. At this
> >point I wish I'd taken good ol' Slinky's advice & rewound the friggin
> >ball of yarn so I could tie the two ends together. Oh well.
>
> Third time's the charm, I hope! I'm sure saving your posts and learning
> what NOT to do in case I ever try this! When I did a mobius, I just did an
> e-wrap cast-on of half the stitches, then went in with my needle and knit
> the bottom edge of the cast-on for the first round. Not that I can find
> where I put the finished thing. It's utterly lost, after all that work. And
> it was qiviut, too! Would not be surprised to find the cat had stolen it or
> that I'd put it somewhere far too safe, to keep them from it.
>

> Helen

Helen that is more or less what I did as well. My pattern came out of a
Spin Off Magazine. It work the first time around for me.

I sounds like you did not "bond" with your...."thing" or
mobius......(smile) Can also see a cat playing with it or sleeping in it,
sort of half in and half out....LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

spampot
July 7th 03, 10:14 PM
What is a Russian Join? I like learning new things, but this pattern
calls for a particular kind of cast-on (what I'm doing now is casting on
to two circs simultaneously, w/the two needles held together -- parallel
-- alternating between the needles), so I think I'd better stick with
it. I'll let you know whether it's third time lucky.

Allaya Diep wrote:
> Oh no! :D That's not a good thing. Have you considered trying a Russian
> Join? It makes things a lot easier (at least for me)
>
> Allaya
>
> "spampot" > wrote in message
>
>>...as I get halfway through the cast-on, thinking wow, I really am
>>casting on loosely, good for me...until I run out of yarn. At this
>>point I wish I'd taken good ol' Slinky's advice & rewound the friggin
>>ball of yarn so I could tie the two ends together. Oh well.

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 7th 03, 11:36 PM
| On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:25:38 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>I sounds like you did not "bond" with your...."thing" or
>mobius......(smile) Can also see a cat playing with it or sleeping in it,
>sort of half in and half out....LOL

By the time I finished it, it was not nearly cold enough to wear it!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

spampot
July 8th 03, 01:31 AM
Aha, I see. I think you might have posted this before because I
remember thinking how cool it was. But what I did was run out of yarn
in the middle of a long-tail cast-on, so there was nothing to do but
frog & start over. So far I'm halfway through the first round, so
everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!

Allaya Diep wrote:
> I don't think I got in on this conversation from the beginning, so I might
> be totally misreading the situation, but here goes... :)
>
> A Russian Join doesn't have anything to do with casting on, but rather
> joining two peieces of yarn together so you don't have to knot them or twist
> and weave in later. I thought you may have run out of yarn during the cast
> on process. Anyway, even if you didn't, it's a pretty slick think to know
> how to do: http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm
>
> If you pull it tight, it's not nearly as bulky looking as in the picture.
> I've used it lots of times, because I don't pay attention to what I'm doing
> most of the time, until I find out that I'm at the end of my skein, and am
> in the middle of a row! It's very helpful to just join mid-row like that,
> and it would probably be good while casting on, since there aren't any knots
> involved, really.
>
> Anyway, sorry if I misunderstood, but like I said, this is a pretty cool
> thing to learn anyway! :)
>
> Allaya
>
> "spampot" > wrote in message
>
>>What is a Russian Join? I like learning new things, but this pattern
>>calls for a particular kind of cast-on (what I'm doing now is casting on
>>to two circs simultaneously, w/the two needles held together -- parallel
>>-- alternating between the needles), so I think I'd better stick with
>>it. I'll let you know whether it's third time lucky.
>>
>>Allaya Diep wrote:
>>
>>>Oh no! :D That's not a good thing. Have you considered trying a
>>
> Russian
>
>>>Join? It makes things a lot easier (at least for me)
>>>
>>>Allaya

NoraBalcer
July 8th 03, 03:51 PM
Spampot,

Fingers crossed for you.

Hugs,

Nora

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 8th 03, 04:20 PM
| On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:47:31 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

>> By the time I finished it, it was not nearly cold enough to wear it!
>>

>Helen are you tempting the gods, It seems to me that it was only yesterday
>that you guys had all this snow piled up on your front step......LOL.

LOL! For that, it will probably hit 95 today instead of 90! Although, it
looks like we'll be getting the daily thunderstorm a little earlier today.

>My Mobius, the first one that I knitted with the dyed wool from Slinky
>Toy, just was not wide enough to cover my head properly. At one of the
>textile sales up Island, I found parendale blended with posum. the colour
>was a soft brown colour. I ripped the Mobius and included the skein of
>parendale posum with it. Now it was wide enough but a bit clunky, or
>bulky. Boy oh boy was i happy with it, when I had to walk my grand
>daughter to school in the morning. It was so bitter cold and the mobius
>so snug and warm. it is having it's summer sleep, in a cap drawer, until
>I go to Toronto again in deep winter. No cats here to play with it.

3 cats here, and one with a wool fetish at that. She's on my lap right
now. Hmm, maybe I put it into the cedar chest!

One thing I learned from making that qiviut mobius is that next time I will
knit flat and then graft the ends with the half twist rather than knitting
the twisted tube. That twisted method was worth trying once, just for the
challenge, but the other way is just SO much faster and easier!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Sue Carlson Dunn
July 8th 03, 07:11 PM
"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" > wrote in message
> One thing I learned from making that qiviut mobius is that next time
I will
> knit flat and then graft the ends with the half twist rather than
knitting
> the twisted tube. That twisted method was worth trying once, just
for the
> challenge, but the other way is just SO much faster and easier!

What sort of cast on would you use to make the graft invisible? Or
doesn't it really matter?
--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

Richard Eney
July 8th 03, 09:48 PM
In article >,
Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer > wrote:
> "Sue Carlson Dunn" > wrote:

>>>next time I will knit flat and then graft the ends with the half twist
>>>rather than knitting the twisted tube.
<snips>
>>What sort of cast on would you use to make the graft invisible? Or
>>doesn't it really matter?
>
>What I used was the simple e-wrap cast-on. Or backward loop or whatever you
>call it. Once you get the knack of grafting into that with even tension,
>it's very hard to find your graft line.

Wouldn't it also work to cast on with waste yarn, then when you are ready
to join, take that out and graft?

=Tamar

spampot
July 10th 03, 03:19 AM
Els van Dam wrote:
> In article >, spampot > wrote:
>

>>Aha, I see. I think you might have posted this before because I
>>remember thinking how cool it was. But what I did was run out of yarn
>>in the middle of a long-tail cast-on, so there was nothing to do but
>>frog & start over. So far I'm halfway through the first round, so
>>everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!
>

> As we say in Dutch...I will "duim" for you.......Don't think you cn
> translate it, but I am on your side....
>
> Els

Thanks for the "duim," Els, it seems to have worked! Is it a Dutch
version of keeping your fingers crossed? I'm on my fifth round now, and
hopeful (fortunately all the even-numbered rows are just purled).

spampot
July 10th 03, 03:21 AM
Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:
> | On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:47:31 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

<snip>

> One thing I learned from making that qiviut mobius is that next time I will
> knit flat and then graft the ends with the half twist rather than knitting
> the twisted tube. That twisted method was worth trying once, just for the
> challenge, but the other way is just SO much faster and easier!
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

I was thinking that myself, and then I wondered how different the
stretch would be in a moebius knitted flat. I'll just have to try one
and compare them!

Els van Dam
July 10th 03, 05:35 AM
In article >, spampot > wrote:

> Els van Dam wrote:
> > In article >, spampot > wrote:
> >

> >>Aha, I see. I think you might have posted this before because I
> >>remember thinking how cool it was. But what I did was run out of yarn
> >>in the middle of a long-tail cast-on, so there was nothing to do but
> >>frog & start over. So far I'm halfway through the first round, so
> >>everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!
> >

> > As we say in Dutch...I will "duim" for you.......Don't think you cn
> > translate it, but I am on your side....
> >
> > Els
> >

> Thanks for the "duim," Els, it seems to have worked! Is it a Dutch
> version of keeping your fingers crossed? I'm on my fifth round now, and
> hopeful (fortunately all the even-numbered rows are just purled).

come to think of it, it very well may be just that....Mirjam and Ria, if
you two are around what do you think..... and even Martin may
know.....:=))

els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 10th 03, 02:51 PM
| On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:21:10 -0400, spampot > wrote:

>I was thinking that myself, and then I wondered how different the
>stretch would be in a moebius knitted flat. I'll just have to try one
>and compare them!

I've made small mobius neck warmers on my sock machine, but those are
tubes that I twist before grafting the open ends. I start and end with
waste yarn on those. Since the long edge is not a bind-off, I think they
are stretchier.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

spampot
July 11th 03, 12:03 AM
Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:
> | On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:21:10 -0400, spampot > wrote:
>

>>I was thinking that myself, and then I wondered how different the
>>stretch would be in a moebius knitted flat. I'll just have to try one
>>and compare them!
>

> I've made small mobius neck warmers on my sock machine, but those are
> tubes that I twist before grafting the open ends. I start and end with
> waste yarn on those. Since the long edge is not a bind-off, I think they
> are stretchier.
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

That's a good point. Of course this is a fingering lace one, looks good
as a shawl as well as a head scarf, so I don't know how stretchy it'll
have to be. I'll keep that in mind for future attempts, though.

Google