PDA

View Full Version : Re: Earthquakes, Tsunami and Volcanoes, Oh My!

BeckiBead
July 14th 03, 02:03 AM
That's just God, punishing California for Ronald Reagan.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Kandice Seeber
July 14th 03, 03:32 AM
ROFLMAO!!! :)

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"BeckiBead" > wrote in message
> That's just God, punishing California for Ronald Reagan.
>

> Becki
> "In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the
crumbling
> difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Beads1947
July 14th 03, 10:28 PM
> California for Ronald Reagan.
>

>~~
>Sooz

I understand that Ronald Reagan doesn't remember being President. I wish I
didn't remember when he was President.
Patti

Dr. Sooz
July 14th 03, 11:18 PM
>]I wish I
>]didn't remember when he was President.

And governor of CA.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Christina Peterson
July 14th 03, 11:37 PM
Remember him in the Bekeley Barb?

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> >]I wish I
> >]didn't remember when he was President.
>
> And governor of CA.
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

BeckiBead
July 15th 03, 01:26 AM
>I wish I
>didn't remember when he was President.
> Patti

PATTI -- I SPLUTTEREd all over the place, LOL. Too funny.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Dr. Sooz
July 15th 03, 01:40 AM
YIKES!

>I like how one of Portland's biggest parks and most desirable
>neighborhoods is on top of a volcano.
>
>Do any other cities have volcanos within the city limits?

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Lee S. Billings
July 15th 03, 02:38 AM
In article >,
says...

> I understand that Ronald Reagan doesn't remember being President. I wish I
>didn't remember when he was President.

<SPLORT!!!>

Quit it, you guys! That's 2 splorts in as many minutes!

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat
"Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring."

Mary Shafer
July 15th 03, 05:26 AM
On 14 Jul 2003 01:03:33 GMT, (BeckiBead)
wrote:

> That's just God, punishing California for Ronald Reagan.

Oh, don't remind me. Anyone foolish enough to say "Taxes should hurt"
when he was trying to prevent state withholding in a year that he
didn't pay any CA income tax shouldn't have gone any further.

He signed my BS and MS degrees, too.

Mary

"A MiG at your six is better than no MiG at all."
Anonymous US fighter pilot

Kandice Seeber
July 15th 03, 09:42 AM
Eh, the volcano's sleeping. :)

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> YIKES!
>
> >I like how one of Portland's biggest parks and most desirable
> >neighborhoods is on top of a volcano.
> >
> >Do any other cities have volcanos within the city limits?
>

> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 15th 03, 08:11 PM
>Oh, don't remind me. Anyone foolish enough to say "Taxes should hurt"
>when he was trying to prevent state withholding in a year that he
>didn't pay any CA income tax shouldn't have gone any further.

He demolished the funding for "mental" hospitals, too, and put all the
seriously mentally ill people out on the street. Many are still living there
as a result of his foolishness.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 15th 03, 08:12 PM
>Eh, the volcano's sleeping. :)

Man! I'd be damn quiet if I lived on it!
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Christina Peterson
July 16th 03, 12:15 AM
Ironic isn't it, that he spent his waning years with mental illness himself.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> >Oh, don't remind me. Anyone foolish enough to say "Taxes should hurt"
> >when he was trying to prevent state withholding in a year that he
> >didn't pay any CA income tax shouldn't have gone any further.
>
> He demolished the funding for "mental" hospitals, too, and put all the
> seriously mentally ill people out on the street. Many are still living
there
> as a result of his foolishness.
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Deirdre S.
July 16th 03, 08:38 PM
A 'mot juste'! Nice one, too...

Deirdre

On 14 Jul 2003 21:28:47 GMT, (Beads1947) wrote:

>I understand that Ronald Reagan doesn't remember being President. I wish I
>didn't remember when he was President.
> Patti

KDK
July 17th 03, 01:30 AM
Bleh- isn't that the truth.

And we didn't talk about such things in my family. I have had depression
for as long as I can remember (of course when I was younger I had no idea
what was up)- but didn't get (good) treatment until 3 years ago. (I say
good because the 1st therapist I went to didn't believe I had depression
because I wasn't suicidal - even though I was scoring wayyy depressed on
inventories. She also didn't think to much of medication. And we spent
several sessions talking about my childhood - which was actually pretty darn
good - much to her dismay it seemed). Even though I "knew" there wasn't
anything I had done to cause it, I still had that feeling to some degree-
that and that I ought to be able to fix it.

I never told my Mom I was on anti depressant meds - mostly because in her
weird way (passive aggressive martyr-ish, also depressed) she would have
decided it was her fault. And she was also dying of cancer. She mentioned a
few times that she was probably clinically depressed (I agree) but she
didn't see any benefit of doing anything about it (she worked in the medical
field) (I can't remember if I ever told my Dad). I told my sister and she
was supportive and asked lots of questions. I'm pretty sure it runs in the
family- at least the maternal side.

It was really hard for me to "do anything" about it- even though now I'm
REALLY glad that I did. And I went to grad school with a lot of clinical
psych people- and I knew there was good treatment. I'll always be thankful
to the one friend that really made me face it and deal with it. That and
seeing what was happening to my Mom (the depression not the cancer) is what
got me to a therapist and then to a good therapist. Therapist #2 was/is
excellent.

Well- ok - that got longer than I anticipated!

Kathy K

"Christina Peterson" > wrote in message
> So many people believe that mental illness happens only to weak people, or
> at the very least, other people. That somehow or other if you take good
> care of yourself, and work hard that you are safe. That if you live a
> "good" life, you "earn" good luck, and that you will be safe.
>
> If only.
>
> Tina
>

> "Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> > >Ironic isn't it, that he spent his waning years with mental illness
> himself.
> >
> > I've always thought about that with a grim sort of fascination.
Ronnie's
> > almost-instant karma. What if? What if Ronnie hadn't been rich? What
if
> he'd
> > been single and his kids didn't want him? Where would he be right now?
> (Dead,
> > probably, and without a very pretty life for many years.)
> > ~~
> > Sooz
> > -------
> > ESBC
> > ~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> > http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> > ~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
> > http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Christina Peterson
July 17th 03, 04:05 AM
I am a happy, optimistic person, which most people can't identify with
depression. Because people don't always associate the problem with the
symptoms. Telling someone that Depression can be fixed by being happy is
like telling someone with gangrene that they can be fixed by stopping the
pain.

Depression is a sort of overstimulation, and mental exhaustion. (Like if a
person lives in the middle of constant noise, they cease to be able to
process it, they've overloaded on it.) I call it "deer in the headlights"
It then becomes what my psychologist and psychiatrist both referred to as a
"disease of disconnection", especially from yourself. That and the
inability to live up to want you have the brains to do, and would normally
expect yourself to do makes you melancholy, feel inferior, get involved with
co-dependency, etc. All those thing that people think of as what Depression
is, rather than what it often results in.

When it was still Dysthymia, low level chronic, never ending Depression, it
was not easily diagnosed. As a child, I had already worked out how to be
happy. I was a sunny child, and wanted to be happy so I adapted.

It doesn't look like my Depression is going to disappear, but now that I
know what the disease is, I can do better. Can do the best I can.

I need to get enough sleep, enough exercise, good food. The mental exercise
of martial arts help. The self esteem gained from martial arts helps. I
have had to radically prioritize, and still need to some more. Being as
pain free as possible is important because pain eats up mental energy. So
people like your mother who are in chronic pain will have Depression, even
with no other factors.

I'm glad you're doing better now.

tina

"KDK" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]

or
> > at the very least, other people. That somehow or other if you take good
> > care of yourself, and work hard that you are safe. That if you live a
> > "good" life, you "earn" good luck, and that you will be safe.
> >
> > If only.
> >
> > Tina

> > himself.
> > >
> > > I've always thought about that with a grim sort of fascination.
> Ronnie's
> > > almost-instant karma. What if? What if Ronnie hadn't been rich?
What
> if
> > he'd
> > > been single and his kids didn't want him? Where would he be right
now?
> > (Dead,
> > > probably, and without a very pretty life for many years.)

July 17th 03, 07:48 AM
>I am a happy, optimistic person, which most people can't identify with
>depression.

Me, too. I remember once, when I spent a whole month in the psych ward for a
terible dip in my usual depression -- one new "inmate" (we called ourselves
"the Nuts", which this woman would *not* have appreciated) asked me (nastily),
"Why are YOU here? You're so HAPPY." What a maroon.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Dr. Sooz
July 18th 03, 09:03 PM
>I also think the ability to function (or hide the signs) is why only 1
>person ever called me on the depression.
~~snipped~~
>Yep I learned to adapt while a child.

Oh, me too. People don't believe me when they hear I've suffered or am
suffering from depression. Like I'd so love to lie about that.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Dr. Sooz
July 18th 03, 09:09 PM
>I usually expose myself as being Depressed. I try to actively fight the
>stigma in the only way I know.

Yes! Exactly! There are some people you just can't tell -- but 99% of the
people need to see the human face of depression to de-stigmatize the disease.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Barbara Otterson
July 18th 03, 09:19 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:33:58 -0400, "KDK" >
wrote:
My
>biggest problems that I have a tendency to sleep too much - then I kind of
>get into a rut of napping when and then I feel like I should (oops) have
>been more productive that day etc.

God, that's me to a "T". I sleep waaaaaay too much.
But a lot of that is the pain drugs. All those opiates.
Still, there is so much I want to do, and I tend to beat
myself up when I realize that the day is gone and all
I basically did was sleep.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

laura
July 18th 03, 09:23 PM
"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> >I also think the ability to function (or hide the signs) is why only 1
> >person ever called me on the depression.
> ~~snipped~~
> >Yep I learned to adapt while a child.
>
> Oh, me too. People don't believe me when they hear I've suffered or am
> suffering from depression. Like I'd so love to lie about that.

Isn't it odd that when a person is highly resilient people don't want to
believe there can be problems?

I credit my survival to my resiliency, and hate to consider what could have
happened to me had I not been able to find some relentless desire to forge
ahead somewhere within me. Had I not had a crummy childhood it's hard to
tell what sort of person I might have been, but I think my basic *nature* is
easy and outgoing and life-seeking, and that made it harder for my family to
indoctrinate me with all their (considerable) negativity. Lucky for me,
that-- but I had to take on the role of family rebel to get away from there
with an ounce of inner strength left.

For all my resilience, it doesn't mean I didn't (and don't) have problems or
need to find ways to address them. It just means I kept bouncing back and
bouncing back in the only ways I could figure, until I eventually ran out of
bounce :( Then I had no choices left but to begin to address the problems
straight on. Which meant, in part, admitting I was depressed and doing
something about it.

Laura

KDK
July 18th 03, 09:27 PM
So true. And I'm not on any pain meds. I just like to sleep -to much.

No naps today!!

Kathy K
"Barbara Otterson" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:33:58 -0400, "KDK" >
> wrote:
> My
> >biggest problems that I have a tendency to sleep too much - then I kind
of
> >get into a rut of napping when and then I feel like I should (oops) have
> >been more productive that day etc.
>
> God, that's me to a "T". I sleep waaaaaay too much.
> But a lot of that is the pain drugs. All those opiates.
> Still, there is so much I want to do, and I tend to beat
> myself up when I realize that the day is gone and all
> I basically did was sleep.
> Barbara
> Dream Master
> www.dreamweaverstudio.com
>
> "We've got two lives, one we're given,
> the other one we make."
> Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Sooz
July 18th 03, 09:28 PM
Oh, man, what a bunch we are. (this is an official me too post) No wonder
you're called the Dream Master, Barbara.

>Still, there is so much I want to do, and I tend to beat
>myself up when I realize that the day is gone and all
>I basically did was sleep.
>Barbara

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

KDK
July 18th 03, 09:29 PM
I agree- but it took me a while to feel ok about letting others know.

Kathy K

"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> >I usually expose myself as being Depressed. I try to actively fight the
> >stigma in the only way I know.
>
> Yes! Exactly! There are some people you just can't tell -- but 99% of
the
> people need to see the human face of depression to de-stigmatize the
disease.
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> ~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> ~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
> http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Christina Peterson
July 18th 03, 10:25 PM
It took me a long long time to rebel. To risk"everybody's" love. Could
only begin to do it (with alcohol) in my late thirties. Then in my forties,
and after also dealing with the damage of alcoholism (short but fierce) too,
finally learn to become my own person.

Never think that sweet kid who doesn't rebel is just well-adjusted. (Maybe
she is to her situation, but not to real life, anyway).

Tina

"laura" > wrote in message

> "Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> > >I also think the ability to function (or hide the signs) is why only 1
> > >person ever called me on the depression.
> > ~~snipped~~
> > >Yep I learned to adapt while a child.
> >
> > Oh, me too. People don't believe me when they hear I've suffered or am
> > suffering from depression. Like I'd so love to lie about that.
>
> Isn't it odd that when a person is highly resilient people don't want to
> believe there can be problems?
>
> I credit my survival to my resiliency, and hate to consider what could
have
> happened to me had I not been able to find some relentless desire to forge
> ahead somewhere within me. Had I not had a crummy childhood it's hard to
> tell what sort of person I might have been, but I think my basic *nature*
is
> easy and outgoing and life-seeking, and that made it harder for my family
> indoctrinate me with all their (considerable) negativity. Lucky for me,
> that-- but I had to take on the role of family rebel to get away from
there
> with an ounce of inner strength left.
>
> For all my resilience, it doesn't mean I didn't (and don't) have problems
or
> need to find ways to address them. It just means I kept bouncing back and
> bouncing back in the only ways I could figure, until I eventually ran out
of
> bounce :( Then I had no choices left but to begin to address the
problems
> straight on. Which meant, in part, admitting I was depressed and doing
> something about it.
>
> Laura

Dr. Sooz
July 18th 03, 11:06 PM
Yup -- it took me years.

>I agree- but it took me a while to feel ok about letting others know.
>
>Kathy K

>> >I usually expose myself as being Depressed. I try to actively fight the
>> >stigma in the only way I know.
>>
>> Yes! Exactly! There are some people you just can't tell -- but 99% of
>the
>> people need to see the human face of depression to de-stigmatize the
>disease.
>> Sooz

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

KDK
July 23rd 03, 01:12 AM
I agree with that.

Kathy K

"Christina Peterson" wrote

You know, the positive side of the
> adaptation we must learn to survive (necessary for the child but harmful
for us as adults) is that it makes us very intuitive and empathetic.

> [...]
Depression,
> > it
> > > was not easily diagnosed. As a child, I had already worked out how to
> be
> > > happy. I was a sunny child, and wanted to be happy so I adapted.
> > >
> > > It doesn't look like my Depression is going to disappear, but now that
> > > know what the disease is, I can do better. Can do the best I can.
> > >
> > > I need to get enough sleep, enough exercise, good food. The mental
> > exercise
> > > of martial arts help. The self esteem gained from martial arts helps.
> > > have had to radically prioritize, and still need to some more. Being
as
> > > pain free as possible is important because pain eats up mental energy.
> So
> > > people like your mother who are in chronic pain will have Depression,

Google