PDA

View Full Version : Moretti Glass question

bluemaxx
July 11th 03, 05:49 AM
Does "Italian, Moretti, Transparent Uranium Yellow" glass glow when
placed under a blacklight (i.e. 'Vaseline' glass)?

I won a small set of beads awhile ago and the seller stated that
they weremade from "Czech Uranium glass" that she found at the B&B
show and the auction pic showed both the daylight color and then the
glowing blacklight color.

I would love to get more of these beads and tonight I found another
seller that has a set of beads made from the Moretti Uranium Yellow
that look exactly like the set I won. Unfortunately, the seller
doesn't know if they glow under a blacklight. Do any of you
lampworkers in here know? TIA! :)
--
Linda

Kandice Seeber
July 11th 03, 06:08 AM
I have some, and no, it doesn't glow. You can buy glass that does - they
sell it on Justbeads. I am not sure of the seller, but I am pretty sure
it's still there.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"bluemaxx" > wrote in message
et...
> Does "Italian, Moretti, Transparent Uranium Yellow" glass glow when
> placed under a blacklight (i.e. 'Vaseline' glass)?
>
> I won a small set of beads awhile ago and the seller stated that
> they weremade from "Czech Uranium glass" that she found at the B&B
> show and the auction pic showed both the daylight color and then the
> glowing blacklight color.
>
> I would love to get more of these beads and tonight I found another
> seller that has a set of beads made from the Moretti Uranium Yellow
> that look exactly like the set I won. Unfortunately, the seller
> doesn't know if they glow under a blacklight. Do any of you
> lampworkers in here know? TIA! :)
> --
> Linda

bluemaxx
July 11th 03, 06:13 AM
:) I don't want to just buy the glass, I want to buy the glass
already made into *beads*. heh... I'll check out Justbeads! I've
been meaning to check there for Dichroic bead sets anyway. Thanks
again!
--
Linda

"Kandice Seeber" > wrote in message
: I have some, and no, it doesn't glow. You can buy glass that
does - they
: sell it on Justbeads. I am not sure of the seller, but I am
pretty sure
: it's still there.
:
: --
: Kandice Seeber
: Air & Earth Designs
: http://www.lampwork.net
: "bluemaxx" > wrote in message
: et...
: > Does "Italian, Moretti, Transparent Uranium Yellow" glass glow
when
: > placed under a blacklight (i.e. 'Vaseline' glass)?
: >
: > I won a small set of beads awhile ago and the seller stated that
: > they weremade from "Czech Uranium glass" that she found at the
B&B
: > show and the auction pic showed both the daylight color and then
the
: > glowing blacklight color.
: >
: > I would love to get more of these beads and tonight I found
another
: > seller that has a set of beads made from the Moretti Uranium
Yellow
: > that look exactly like the set I won. Unfortunately, the seller
: > doesn't know if they glow under a blacklight. Do any of you
: > lampworkers in here know? TIA! :)
: > --
: > Linda
: >
:
:

Kandice Seeber
July 11th 03, 06:45 AM
:) The person who sells the glass sells beads also, I believe! :) Here
let me check....

http://www.justbeads.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=742428693

Here's some! They have more, too. :)

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"bluemaxx" > wrote in message
> :) I don't want to just buy the glass, I want to buy the glass
> already made into *beads*. heh... I'll check out Justbeads! I've
> been meaning to check there for Dichroic bead sets anyway. Thanks
> again!
> --
> Linda
>
> "Kandice Seeber" > wrote in message
> : I have some, and no, it doesn't glow. You can buy glass that
> does - they
> : sell it on Justbeads. I am not sure of the seller, but I am
> pretty sure
> : it's still there.
> :
> : --
> : Kandice Seeber
> : Air & Earth Designs
> : http://www.lampwork.net
> : "bluemaxx" > wrote in message
> : et...
> : > Does "Italian, Moretti, Transparent Uranium Yellow" glass glow
> when
> : > placed under a blacklight (i.e. 'Vaseline' glass)?
> : >
> : > I won a small set of beads awhile ago and the seller stated that
> : > they weremade from "Czech Uranium glass" that she found at the
> B&B
> : > show and the auction pic showed both the daylight color and then
> the
> : > glowing blacklight color.
> : >
> : > I would love to get more of these beads and tonight I found
> another
> : > seller that has a set of beads made from the Moretti Uranium
> Yellow
> : > that look exactly like the set I won. Unfortunately, the seller
> : > doesn't know if they glow under a blacklight. Do any of you
> : > lampworkers in here know? TIA! :)
> : > --
> : > Linda
> : >
> :
> :

Tink
July 11th 03, 01:51 PM
LOL! I had to move my glow in the dark duckies because they freaked me so
much when I'd turn out the light...

On the other hand, I love the glow in the dark lampwork ghost earrings that
I made last Halloween!

--
Tinkster
www.imeltstuff.com

"BeckiBead" > wrote in message

> just like the little duckie that scares the bejesus out of me every time I
turn
> out the light and leave my home office. (one of you sent that to me, Sooz
> think but not sure).

Tink
July 11th 03, 02:22 PM

"BeckiBead" > wrote in message

> just like the little duckie that scares the bejesus out of me every time I
turn
> out the light and leave my home office. (one of you sent that to me, Sooz
> think but not sure).

Tink
July 11th 03, 02:26 PM

"BeckiBead" > wrote in message

> just like the little duckie that scares the bejesus out of me every time I
turn
> out the light and leave my home office. (one of you sent that to me, Sooz
> think but not sure).

Tink
July 11th 03, 05:28 PM
Wow. Wonder how THAT happened (multiple post)?!?!?!?!

--

"Tink" > wrote in message
> LOL! I had to move my glow in the dark duckies because they freaked me so
> much when I'd turn out the light...
>
> On the other hand, I love the glow in the dark lampwork ghost earrings
that
> I made last Halloween!
>
> --
> Tinkster
> www.imeltstuff.com
> NEW eBay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/blackswampglassworks
>

> "BeckiBead" > wrote in message
>
> > just like the little duckie that scares the bejesus out of me every time
> turn
> > out the light and leave my home office. (one of you sent that to me,
Sooz
> > think but not sure).

Dr. Sooz
July 11th 03, 08:24 PM
>just like the little duckie that scares the bejesus out of me every time I
>turn
>out the light and leave my home office. (one of you sent that to me, Sooz I
>think but not sure).

That was from me. Oh, jeez, Becki! I didn't mean to cause you daily
freakouts!
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 11th 03, 08:25 PM
>LOL! I had to move my glow in the dark duckies because they freaked me so
>much when I'd turn out the light...
>
>On the other hand, I love the glow in the dark lampwork ghost earrings that
>I made last Halloween!

Okay -- so I'm scaring everyone long-distance -- and ghosts are less scary than
duckies?!?! Sheeeesh.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

bluemaxx
July 11th 03, 10:41 PM
You're a sweetheart, Louis. :D Your marbles are certainly worth
more than beads tho, no? And I wouldn't want to be called one who
took someone else's marbles away! lol...
--
Linda

"Louis Cage" > wrote in message
.. .
: I have some marbles made from vaseline glass that I could melt &
make into
: beads.
: I don't think they are compatible with anything else, so they
would be
: monochromatic beads.
:
: --
: There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques
:
: "bluemaxx" > wrote in message
: et...
[...]

July 11th 03, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info, Tink. :) The beads in that auction link had
squiggly lines and little tiny flowers on them... they're just
gorgeous. But I wonder how she did that if she couldn't use other
glass? Or is that the technique where you use a magic marker to
draw on the bead, then apply more glass over it? I never did
understand that...

--
Linda

"Tink" > wrote in message
: I think what you're looking for is the Soda Lime Uranium made in
: Czechoslovakia. The COE is enough different from Moretti and most
of the
: other Czech glass that I don't think it's very compatible with
other colors.
: I'm working from memory here, so I may be mistaken.
:
: --
: Tinkster
: www.imeltstuff.com
: NEW eBay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/blackswampglassworks
: Join my Mailing List:
:
: "bluemaxx" > wrote in message
: t...
: > Ok - just chekced them out, but that's not the type of
'Vaseline'
: > glass that I was looking for... those JustBeads auctions are all
: > bluish-color glass and I believe that they operate on the
principal
: > of 'absorbing' light in order to glow in the dark... just like
the
: > little cross I had on my bedroom wall when I was a child. :))))
: >
: > Here's the link to the won auction so you can see the color of
the
: > glass. It's a beautiful clear pale yellow in hand. I guess
I'll
: > hafta write her and ask her to make more, eh?! :)
: > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2640056488
: >
: > --
: > Linda
: >
: >
: > "Kandice Seeber" > wrote in message
: > news:3asPa.32233$Ph3.2474@sccrnsc04...
: > : :) The person who sells the glass sells beads also, I
believe!
: > :) Here
: > : let me check....
: > :
: > :
: >
http://www.justbeads.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=742428693
: > :
: > : Here's some! They have more, too. :)
: > :
: > : --
: > : Kandice Seeber
: > : Air & Earth Designs
: > : http://www.lampwork.net
: > : "bluemaxx" > wrote in message
: > : news:9IrPa.27831$GL4.7257@rwcrnsc53...
: > : > :) I don't want to just buy the glass, I want to buy the
glass
: > : > already made into *beads*. heh... I'll check out
Justbeads!
: > I've
: > : > been meaning to check there for Dichroic bead sets anyway.
: > Thanks
: > : > again!
: > : > --
: > : > Linda
: > : >
: > : > "Kandice Seeber" > wrote in message
: > : > news:cDrPa.31933$Ph3.2497@sccrnsc04...
: > : > : I have some, and no, it doesn't glow. You can buy glass
that
: > : > does - they
: > : > : sell it on Justbeads. I am not sure of the seller, but I
am
: > : > pretty sure
: > : > : it's still there.
: > : > :
: > : > : --
: > : > : Kandice Seeber
: > : > : Air & Earth Designs
: > : > : http://www.lampwork.net
: > : > : "bluemaxx" > wrote in message
: > : > : et...
: > : > : > Does "Italian, Moretti, Transparent Uranium Yellow"
glass
: > glow
: > : > when
: > : > : > placed under a blacklight (i.e. 'Vaseline' glass)?
: > : > : >
[...]
: > : > : > --
: > : > : > Linda
: > : > : >
: > : > :
: > : > :
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
:
:

Kandice Seeber
July 11th 03, 11:00 PM
~~~hiccup~~~

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

> LOL! I had to move my glow in the dark duckies because they freaked me so
> much when I'd turn out the light...
>
> On the other hand, I love the glow in the dark lampwork ghost earrings
that
> I made last Halloween!
>
> --
> Tinkster
> www.imeltstuff.com
> NEW eBay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/blackswampglassworks
>

> "BeckiBead" > wrote in message
>
> > just like the little duckie that scares the bejesus out of me every time
> turn
> > out the light and leave my home office. (one of you sent that to me,
Sooz
> > think but not sure).

Tink
July 12th 03, 02:50 AM
LOL! I have the glow in the dark stars that I got from Sooz stuck all over
my computer monitor. I love them!

--

> ROFL - I love glow in the dark! Not scary to me - I have those glow in
the
> dark stars someone sent me as part of the BFNR stuck on my bedroom walls.
> Spooky would be a real ghost or a real duck in my house!
>
> --
> Kandice Seeber
> Air & Earth Designs
> http://www.lampwork.net
> "Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> > >LOL! I had to move my glow in the dark duckies because they freaked me
so
> > >much when I'd turn out the light...
> > >
> > >On the other hand, I love the glow in the dark lampwork ghost earrings
> that
> > >I made last Halloween!
> >
> > Okay -- so I'm scaring everyone long-distance -- and ghosts are less
scary
> than
> > duckies?!?! Sheeeesh.
> > ~~
> > Sooz
> > -------
> > ESBC
> > Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> > http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> > One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
making
> > exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Tink
July 12th 03, 02:52 AM
Small bits of closely compatible glass would work. Probably. I think that's
what they did.

--

"bluemaxx" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : > : > B&B
> : > : > : > show and the auction pic showed both the daylight color
> and
> : > then
> : > : > the
> : > : > : > glowing blacklight color.
> : > : > : >
> : > : > : > I would love to get more of these beads and tonight I
> found
> : > : > another
> : > : > : > seller that has a set of beads made from the Moretti
> Uranium
> : > : > Yellow
> : > : > : > that look exactly like the set I won. Unfortunately,
> the
> : > seller
> : > : > : > doesn't know if they glow under a blacklight. Do any of
> you
> : > : > : > lampworkers in here know? TIA! :)

Cheryl
July 12th 03, 04:09 AM
sp.att.net>

Does "Italian, Moretti, Transparent Uranium Yellow" glass glow when
placed under a blacklight (i.e. 'Vaseline' glass)?

ANSWER - NO
it's a lie -- it is not truly Uranium Yellow
.... I know because I tested mine and was disappointed to find it was not.

You can get Uranium /Vaseline czech beads though....
Cheryl of <A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com"> DRAGON BEADS </A>
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Cheryl
July 12th 03, 04:11 AM
Here's the link to the won auction so you can see the color of the
glass. It's a beautiful clear pale yellow in hand. I guess I'll
hafta write her and ask her to make more, eh?! :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2640056488>

yep - those are CZECH- the ITALIAN Moretti does not glow.

Spruce Pine glass also makes furnace glass (90 COE) that is UV - comes in blue,
yellow-green, orange, pink and violet.
Stuff is killer cool in black light... LOL
Cheryl of <A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com"> DRAGON BEADS </A>
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

bluemaxx
July 12th 03, 05:40 AM
I know - it's SO cool to flash the blacklight on beads. My auction
win came with this little, tiny blacklight keychain. So I took the
light and then went thru ALL OF MY BEADS, especially the vintage
ones, to see if they'd glow or not. heh... now I've a massive mess
of my beads and a small packet of everything from crystals to satin
beads that glow fluorescent green in the dark. At least twice a
day, I'll play with them all. :D
--
Linda

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
:
: Here's the link to the won auction so you can see the color of the
: glass. It's a beautiful clear pale yellow in hand. I guess I'll
: hafta write her and ask her to make more, eh?! :)
: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2640056488>
:
: yep - those are CZECH- the ITALIAN Moretti does not glow.
:
: Spruce Pine glass also makes furnace glass (90 COE) that is UV -
comes in blue,
: yellow-green, orange, pink and violet.
: Stuff is killer cool in black light... LOL
: Cheryl of <A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com"> DRAGON BEADS </A>
: Flameworked beads and glass
: http://www.dragonbeads.com/
:

bluemaxx
July 12th 03, 05:44 AM
Yah... I've been buying new and vintage beads that are 'Vaseline'
blacklight beads in order to stretch those 6 beads I won into more
than one or two pieces of jewelry.

Cheryl, do you have any of the Spruce Pine glass that you mentioned
before, that comes in all those colors (blue, yellow-green, orange,
pink and violet>?? If you do and you feel like getting a a special
order from me, e-me!! (I won't feel bad if you're too busy or don't
take special orders)
--
Linda

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
: sp.att.net>
:
: Does "Italian, Moretti, Transparent Uranium Yellow" glass glow
when
: placed under a blacklight (i.e. 'Vaseline' glass)?
:
: ANSWER - NO
: it's a lie -- it is not truly Uranium Yellow
: ... I know because I tested mine and was disappointed to find it
was not.
:
: You can get Uranium /Vaseline czech beads though....
: Cheryl of <A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com"> DRAGON BEADS </A>
: Flameworked beads and glass
: http://www.dragonbeads.com/
:

Dr. Sooz
July 12th 03, 07:15 PM
>I forget about it, and then catch it out of the
>corner of my eye and say, "What in the hell is that?"

I do that all the time (I buy those duckies by the case!). I never know where
I'll find one. I think they get out of the cabinet by themselves and go
carousing around my house.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Kandice Seeber
July 12th 03, 11:12 PM
Hehehe - duck partayyyyyy!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> >I forget about it, and then catch it out of the
> >corner of my eye and say, "What in the hell is that?"
>
> I do that all the time (I buy those duckies by the case!). I never know
where
> I'll find one. I think they get out of the cabinet by themselves and go
> carousing around my house.
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Google