PDA

View Full Version : Re: more re: eyepins, can i make them into head pins??

Barbara Forbes-Lyons
July 10th 03, 02:58 PM
Sure - just use a mini butane torch to melt/ball up the end and clip of the
loop at the top.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeads:penguintrax

<0
/O\
<><>

"alia" > wrote in message
om...
> i would like to make them into head pins, can i do that? is it
> possible??
>
> alia
>
> o, and re the size, i am not sure yet, i think 3 and 4 mm, 1 3/4 and
> and 2 inches respectively...
>
> alia :D

alia
July 10th 03, 11:53 PM
lol, o sure... just use a butane torch!!! hey, man, not all of us do
lampowrk eh? :) so where do i get a butane torch from? :)

alia :)

Barbara Forbes-Lyons
July 11th 03, 12:02 AM
Home Depot - the mini ones will run you about 19.99 and you can also use
them in the kitchen to melt sugar on the top of your creme brulee!

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeads:penguintrax

<0
/O\
<><>

"alia" > wrote in message
om...
> lol, o sure... just use a butane torch!!! hey, man, not all of us do
> lampowrk eh? :) so where do i get a butane torch from? :)
>
> alia :)

Kandice Seeber
July 11th 03, 12:38 AM
Can we do this with a soldering iron? I have one of those. :)

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Deirdre S." > wrote in message
> The hardware store. Look where the plumbing supplies live. Or the
> soldering irons, etc.
>
> Deirdre
>
> On 10 Jul 2003 15:53:24 -0700, (alia) wrote:
>
> >lol, o sure... just use a butane torch!!! hey, man, not all of us do
> >lampowrk eh? :) so where do i get a butane torch from? :)
> >
> >alia :)

Deirdre S.
July 11th 03, 03:48 AM
I doubt it gets hot enough, but you could certainly try. The melting
point of the kind of solder they are designed for is a lot lower than
for silver.

I was just using soldering irons as a way to point geographically to
the likeliest spot in the hardware store to find a small torch. Both
soldering irons and torches are used by plumbers, and they usually
hang out in the same place in the DIY stores.

Deirdre

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:38:58 GMT, "Kandice Seeber"
> wrote:

>Can we do this with a soldering iron? I have one of those. :)

Kalera Stratton
July 11th 03, 06:13 AM
In article >,
(Barbara Otterson) wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:38:58 GMT, "Kandice Seeber"
> > wrote:
>
> >Can we do this with a soldering iron? I have one of those. :)
>
> It won't get hot enough. Basically you are melting the
> metal. When it forms a small, molten ball on the end you
> take it out of the heat. It will be black at that point and need
> some clean up. You do have a flex-shaft, or at least a
> dremmel, right? If you want the head to be flat, look on
> ebay for a cheap draw-plate in jewelry supplies. You can
> drop the wire down into the hole, smack the top with a
> hammer and voila, a head pin with flat top. It's done all
> the time in metal work to make rivets.
> Barbara
> Dream Master
> www.dreamweaverstudio.com

I hace to say that I cannot imagine it being worth the effort, unless
you are just INCREDIBLY bored and desperate for something to do.

For the price of the butane torch, you could just buy some SS head pins!

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org

alia
July 11th 03, 09:23 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2542707682&category=26229#ShippingPayment

what about this one, is this one any good?

alia :)

Barbara Forbes-Lyons
July 11th 03, 04:25 PM
Actually, it's very easy to do and rewarding and gives an organic look to
the work. I make my own pins all the time, especially when I have to turn
the items into charms and conventional headpins aren't long enough for the
loop wraps I want to do. By making my own, I can make them as long as I need
to. Plus, using very thin wire (22/24 gauge) I can make headpins that fit
pearl holes w/o having to enlarge the hole in the gem.

Besides, there is something therapeutic about sitting there in front of the
boob-toob with a pile of headpins and handful of steel wool, polishing off
the firescale!

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeads:penguintrax

<0
/O\
<><>

"Kalera Stratton" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Barbara Otterson) wrote:
>

> I hace to say that I cannot imagine it being worth the effort, unless
> you are just INCREDIBLY bored and desperate for something to do.
>
> For the price of the butane torch, you could just buy some SS head pins!
>
> --
> -Kalera
> Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
> Wife of the incomparable Moxley of www.spaceplex.com
> See us at www.strattonhome.org

SuzanneHye
July 13th 03, 06:39 PM
Here's another idea...Sometimes when I want to make a pendant and need to use a
long piece of wire (no headpin would be long enough) I make the end into a
paddle by using my ball-peen hammer on an anvil. I just flatten the end. Then
I pull the paddle as far as it can go into the bead, and nip off the end that
still sticks out. Be sure to use a file to smooth the end if necessary. With
an eyepin, you could just nip off the eye and go from there.
Suzanne Hye

Suzanne Hye, Owner
HYE ON BEADS
formerly Henrietta's Beading Supply Co.
P.O. Box 6244
Monroe Township, NJ 08831
732-605-0300/1-800-325-3918
fax 732-656-1066
On eBay visit my store: Hye on Beads
Seller I.D.: vintagesuzanne
Free Price List & Brochure
Call and stop by The Bead Studio when you are in our area!
Full service beads and supplies,
class & workshops

Google