PDA

View Full Version : Re: Birthday Jaunt (Semi-bead-related)

mkahogan
July 8th 03, 03:46 PM
I want to go! Thanks for sharing. You described it so well, I felt like I
was there.
KathyH
"Karen_AZ" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone! I just had to share my weekend adventure, since it was
somewhat
> bead-related. <G> My birthday was yesterday (just ignore that, please) and
> my kids flew east Friday to spend 2 weeks with their Dad, so Mike and I
took
> off Saturday for a short road trip north.
>
> First we headed to Prescott for their Pioneer Days craft show.
Unfortunately
> traffic was insane and it was really hot there, so we cowered in the Jeep
> and came up with an alternate plan. Our next intended stop was in Sedona
for
> a visit to a complex of galleries that Mike knew about but was new to me.
We
> checked the map and found an interesting shortcut over an "unpaved" road.
> Oooooh yeah! Now you need to understand that years ago my folks had a
cabin
> in a PA state forest area with tons of dirt fire roads and access to the
> Appalachian Trail. Over the years they had that place I managed to hit
every
> mile of road at least twice, frequently more...and that was in my darling
> old Buick, not a 4WD. Needless to say, Mike pointed out this road and I
was
> off like a shot. <G>
>
> It was a gorgeous road! As soon as I get my digicam I'm heading back there
> to shoot pix. It winds through rolling hills and small canyons (some with
> recent fire damage) then through a tiny town called Cherry, then winds
over
> the mountains that lead into the Verde Valley. We found a pullout with a
> short steep trail that led to a lookout for the entire valley. Absolutely
> breathtaking! And the wind was so strong it whooshed through the scrubby
> pines, mesquite and manzanita growing up there. In the northern distance
you
> could see the shimmering red rocks of Sedona. Incredible! The road was
only
> 18 miles long but took us almost an hour to cross...very slow going with
> lots of outside turns that were seriously lacking in guardrails, and those
> kinds of drops that make you go "oooooooh" and then get goosebumps.
>
> We rambled through Cottonwood along another back road that gave us
> tantalizing glimpses of Red Rock Country. The sheer walls came closer and
> closer, until they towered over us. The variations in color are amazing.
> Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are, to me, twice as beautiful as the Grand
> Canyon. It's smaller, more intimate and more imposing in a way. And oh the
> colors! Mike directed me to his objective, a group of Spanish-style
> buildings with several shops called Tlaquepaque. We had lunch at a
> microbrewery (mesquite chicken to die for!) then started drooling our way
> through the shops. Lovely jewelry, glass, photography, paintings and
> sculpture. Our favorite was a store that sells large bronze sculptures,
> primarily southwestern themed. They had many pieces that were still clay
> "works in progress" that were being pre-sold. I liked that idea a bunch.
The
> artists are using wonderful patinas and enamels and other "extras" to
really
> bring the pieces to life. One that stands out was an eagle captured at
just
> the moment when he's caught a fish and is ascending from the water. Wow!
>
> Mike nudged me several times about taking my jewelry up to some of the
shops
> ("you belong here too"). That was such a treat to hear!
>
> We continued on to Flagstaff. Since it was a sort of spur of the moment
trip
> we'd made no reservations. (Channeling my dad on that one.) We tried all
the
> usual places and everyone was either booked or only had smoking rooms
> available (yuck). Soooo I said over the tracks! Got some weird looks from
my
> sweetie but he didn't argue. We went to the older part of town, which is
> Historic Route 66, and found an older "motor inn" that looked like it was
> trapped in the "get your kicks on Route 66" age. It had "character". LOL
> pointed out that you rarely got to sleep in a genuine piece of history
that
> was clean, dimly lit and bug-free for a mere $32. Mike said he was
surprised
> at how willing I was to "downgrade". Hehe I guess he has a few things to
> learn about me still. I laughed at us the next morning....we'd gotten a
> bottle of wine, some tasty cheeses, smoked salmon and crackers and nibbled
> while we watched a movie on TV. There we were, no kids, in a cheap motel
on
> Route 66, and we fell asleep on each other's shoulders with the movie
still
> on. Talk about getting old! I slept like a baby despite the freight trains
> whistling along all night. It was kinda comforting (I used to live near a
> freight yard).
>
> Okay, here comes the bead-related part. (Still with me?) We headed over to
> the Flagstaff Gem & Mineral show after a way-too-much breakfast at the
> Whistle Stop Diner (that got a few remarks from Mr. Grumpy LOL). It was a
> really nice, smallish show in a hotel ballroom. Some gorgeous ready-made
> jewelry with lots of stones. My favorite was some Mt. St. Helen's
> "emeralds"....rich green, very clear obsidian. Beeeeautiful! I decided to
> go native and concentrated on stones from AZ. Got a few malachite cabs, a
> matched pair of petrified wood teardrops, and some pretty jaspers and
> turquoises. We had a lot of fun talking to the vendors and found out about
> lot of other future shows. Rock people are so friendly! I also got some
nice
> bead strands in unakite, citrine, turquoise and mixed jaspers. Time to
make
> more organic beads.
>
> After a few hours of sighing, we moved on to the Museum of Northern
Arizona.
> They were having a special exhibit and craft show by Hopi Indians. They
had
> demonstrators doing ceramics, basketry, silver work, weaving and kachina
> carving. I had a great chat with two of the silversmiths. It's really
> interesting that they are using traditional designs but taking them in
very
> new directions. The museum is also beautiful, well designed and full of
> treasures.
>
> On the way home I think I got the nicest present of all. Mike told me how
> much fun I am to travel with! <G> We both like having adventures and just
> going with the flow. Next weekend we're planning to head to Santa Fe.
Can't
> wait to see what happens!
>
> --
> KarenK
> Desert Dreamer Designs
> http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/
> Ebay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/desertdreamerdesigns
> JustBeads: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=DesertDreamer

Christina Peterson
July 9th 03, 12:40 AM
Karen, this trip sounds so delightful. I'm envisioning the road between
Flagstaff and Sedon, but private, and maybe a little hotter.

What was the road? Maybe my daughter, Susie, in Flagstaff can do that trip
with me.

A couple years ago I flew to Phoenix to join Pete, then drove toward
Flagstaff. We stopped in a little town called Black Canyon (I think), and
stayed in a hotel just like you're describing. In the morning we walked
next door for an egg breakfast for $.99.

What a great trip you had.

Tina

"Karen_AZ" > wrote in message
> [...]
make
> more organic beads.
>
> After a few hours of sighing, we moved on to the Museum of Northern
Arizona.
> They were having a special exhibit and craft show by Hopi Indians. They
had
> demonstrators doing ceramics, basketry, silver work, weaving and kachina
> carving. I had a great chat with two of the silversmiths. It's really
> interesting that they are using traditional designs but taking them in
very
> new directions. The museum is also beautiful, well designed and full of
> treasures.
>
> On the way home I think I got the nicest present of all. Mike told me how
> much fun I am to travel with! <G> We both like having adventures and just
> going with the flow. Next weekend we're planning to head to Santa Fe.

BeckiBead
July 9th 03, 03:39 AM
Karen -- it just makes my heart soar to hear you be so happy. I am happy for
you. Enjoy your life.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Cheryl
July 9th 03, 04:26 PM
Color me jealous --
sounds lovely
though I remember my father scaring the daylights out of mother and me once
when we lived in Phoenix.
We were car shopping - and dad wanted to drive some 4 wheel type vehicle (he
hunted at the time), mom was not thrilled about the vehicle but allowed the
test drive.
The guy took us out in the country - and let dad drive... we were on one of
those roads like you mentioned - switchback, cliff - no rails and leaning -
mom was screaming.

needless to say - we didn't get that vehicle! LOL
Beautifu country where you were...
color me green with envy - I remember if fondly from childhood.....

even though I'm allergic to the state... LOL

mom
Cheryl of <A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com"> DRAGON BEADS </A>
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Dr. Sooz
July 9th 03, 10:56 PM
Delightful!
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Mary Shafer
July 11th 03, 05:48 PM
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:34:14 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
> wrote:

> Mike directed me to his objective, a group of Spanish-style
> buildings with several shops called Tlaquepaque. We had lunch at a
> microbrewery (mesquite chicken to die for!) then started drooling our way
> through the shops. Lovely jewelry, glass, photography, paintings and
> sculpture.

You should have gone into Cocopah. I get beautiful beads and pendants
and findings from her. Incredible stuff--unusual, unique, eclectic.
I want to go to Sedona so bad, just to go to her shop. For some
reason, Ken isn't nearly as eager to make this trip.

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN

Christina Peterson
July 11th 03, 09:25 PM
Cocopah is in Sedona? I'll have to check it out next time I visit my
daughter in Flagstaff. Thanks.

Tina

"Mary Shafer" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:34:14 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
> > wrote:
>

> > Mike directed me to his objective, a group of Spanish-style
> > buildings with several shops called Tlaquepaque. We had lunch at a
> > microbrewery (mesquite chicken to die for!) then started drooling our
way
> > through the shops. Lovely jewelry, glass, photography, paintings and
> > sculpture.
>
> You should have gone into Cocopah. I get beautiful beads and pendants
> and findings from her. Incredible stuff--unusual, unique, eclectic.
> I want to go to Sedona so bad, just to go to her shop. For some
> reason, Ken isn't nearly as eager to make this trip.
>
> Mary
>
> --
> Mary Shafer Retired aerospace research engineer
>
> "Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN

bluemaxx
July 11th 03, 11:03 PM
Mary, do you have any recommendations for the town of Bisbee, AZ?
I've read it has a really nice artist's community.
--
Linda

"Mary Shafer" > wrote in message
: On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:34:14 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
: > wrote:
:
:
: > Mike directed me to his objective, a group of Spanish-style
: > buildings with several shops called Tlaquepaque. We had lunch at
: > microbrewery (mesquite chicken to die for!) then started
drooling our way
: > through the shops. Lovely jewelry, glass, photography, paintings
and
: > sculpture.
:
: You should have gone into Cocopah. I get beautiful beads and
pendants
: and findings from her. Incredible stuff--unusual, unique,
eclectic.
: I want to go to Sedona so bad, just to go to her shop. For some
: reason, Ken isn't nearly as eager to make this trip.
:
: Mary
:
: --
: Mary Shafer Retired aerospace research engineer
:
: "Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN

Mary Shafer
July 12th 03, 02:49 AM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:03:22 GMT, "bluemaxx" >
wrote:

> Mary, do you have any recommendations for the town of Bisbee, AZ?
> I've read it has a really nice artist's community.

No, just Sedona and Tucson. Have you looked in the ads and listings
in Bead & Button and Beadwork? That's how I find shops to visit.
I've got a bead shop directory down in Palm Desert; I'll check it next
week when I'm down there, too.

I thought Bisbee was a mining town--copper, I thought--and not likely
to be able to support anything like a bead shop. Goes to show how far
behind the times I am about Arizona.

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN

BeckiBead
July 12th 03, 04:38 AM
You can go visit Kate Drew-Wilkensen. She lives in Brisbee.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

bluemaxx
July 12th 03, 05:36 AM
Cool. I plan on visiting Bisbee this fall... maybe I should email
her for tips. :)
--
Linda

"BeckiBead" > wrote in message
: You can go visit Kate Drew-Wilkensen. She lives in Brisbee.
:
:
: Becki
: "In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the
crumbling
: difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows
:

Dr. Sooz
July 12th 03, 07:04 PM
>> Mary, do you have any recommendations for the town of Bisbee, AZ?
>> I've read it has a really nice artist's community.

Try this resource when you're looking for bead stores----
http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/localstores/

Arizona!
http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/localstores/states/AZ.str.html
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Karen_AZ
July 13th 03, 12:18 AM
Mike and the kids and I went to Bisbee last spring. It's a very interesting
town! No particular bead shops but a bunch of fun galleries with all sorts
of goodies. The trolley tour of the town is interesting too. It's more of a
WAS a mining town these days, unfortunately, because the price of copper has
been driven down by competition from South America. Phelps-Dodge still owns
most of the town, in hopes of someday reviving it. The whole area is
beautiful in a wild way. And Tombstone is just an hour or so away.

Another way cool former mining town (turned tourist haven and very fun) is
Jerome. That's north of Prescott and southwest of Sedona (love Sedona!).
It's perched rather precariously on the slopes of Mingus Mtn. and features
windy narrow streets that put San Francisco to shame. Bunches of cool
galleries including a bead shop or two.

Phoenix also has some good bead shops, and there are some great gem &
mineral shows coming up this fall. If you have specific dates, I can find
out if they match up.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs
http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/
Ebay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/desertdreamerdesigns
JustBeads: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=DesertDreamer

Dr. Sooz
July 13th 03, 05:54 PM
>and features
>windy narrow streets that put San Francisco to shame.

Of course, I hear San Francisco has no shame....... ;-)
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 13th 03, 07:08 PM
>>Of course, I hear San Francisco has no shame....... ;-) <
>
>ROFL!!!! THAT explains why I love it so much!!!!! I'd live there, in a
>heartbeat, if it weren't for the earthquakes!

We only have one earthquake every 90 years of any consequence.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 13th 03, 08:54 PM
Where I even notice it's shakin'. :-)

>]We only have one earthquake every 90 years of any consequence.
>
>define consequence?

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Barbara Otterson
July 13th 03, 10:52 PM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:11:50 -0400, Kathy N-V
> wrote:
>Obligatory bead reference: Although I'm not an orange kind of person, there
>are few things I think are more beautiful, from a color point of view, than
>Volcanoes. The rich blacks with the ribbons of flaming yellows and oranges
>running through it, with just hints of red aroud the edges - gorgeous. Hmm,
>I need to look through my beads and make something volcano inspired. Anyone
>else feeling inspired?

Having recently returned from Costa Rica, where I watched
lava flow down the side of the Arenal volcano at night, I have
to agree. A very rich color. I see a cone-shaped bead with
red dichro on the top, black base. Use a pendant.......
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

Kandice Seeber
July 14th 03, 12:16 AM
Big earthquakes are scary, but volcanoes are worse, for me. I watched
Mt.St. Helens blow her top when I was a kid, and we were all far enough away
to escape of course, but the ash that rained down made people sick. We had
to wear masks for awhile to avoid it. People say that the Pacific NW is one
of the most geologically dangerous places to live in the states - they keep
telling us we're going to have a huge earthquake here soon, but the
buildings are totally not up to code. And we're surrounded by volcanoes.
We're pretty much screwed when it all happens. It will be like a chain
reaction. Kabloooie! This is all according to my friend Tara who is a
geologist. She loves living here because it's so fun to study. We shake a
little all the time here in the Pacific NW - just not enough to feel much
but a little rolling once every few years.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Kathy N-V" > wrote in message
.com...
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:08:54 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
> (in message >):

> >> ROFL!!!! THAT explains why I love it so much!!!!! I'd live there, in a
> >> heartbeat, if it weren't for the earthquakes!
> >
> > We only have one earthquake every 90 years of any consequence.
> >>>

> And the last one was, oh, 97 years ago, no? That would scare me, if San
> Francisco didn't have the most stringent building codes (for earthquakes)
in
> the world. When the "Big One" comes again, there will be damage, but
nothing
> compared to the catastrophe we'd see if say New York had such an
earthquake.

> On my first trip to SF, I didin't even know that those constant little
> rumblings were earthquakes. I thought it was that the building was near a
> busy highway, until someone told me. Then I noticed them everywhere and
all
> the time, and it had me pretty squicked out. Of course, common sense told
me
> that all the little slippages in the plates make a large adjustment that
much
> further off.
>
> Still, I was much happier when I got home, where natural catastrophes
seems
> much easier to control. We get blizzards and hurricanes, about one per
> decade. Some minor preparation, and the ritual of getting things out of
the
> yard (for the dozen or so hurricane warnings) is about it. In my
lifetime,
> we've had two or three major blizards (but only one that was of serious
> consequence, because it coincided with lunar high tides and caused massive
> damage to coastal homes) and four or five minor hurricanes.
>
> BTW, if you have a science/math minded teen who is looking for some career
> direction, there are a lot worse things to be than a seismologist. The
field
> isn't exactly overflowing, and volcanoes and earthquakes just happen to
occur
> in very cool parts of the world. A friend works for the USGS and has
spent
> much time being jetted to Hawaii, Japan and Asia to study seismic events.
> Not too shabby.
>
> Kathy N-V
>
> Obligatory bead reference: Although I'm not an orange kind of person,
there
> are few things I think are more beautiful, from a color point of view,
than
> Volcanoes. The rich blacks with the ribbons of flaming yellows and
oranges
> running through it, with just hints of red aroud the edges - gorgeous.
Hmm,
> I need to look through my beads and make something volcano inspired.
Anyone
> else feeling inspired?

Christina Peterson
July 14th 03, 12:21 AM
Earthquakes are even more common in Alaska than Calif. Usually when there's
an earthquake I wonder if the furnace kicked in, or a moose is brushing
against the house. But even when it goes on long enough to know for sure,
it seldom does much damage. My house is made of interlocking logs and
accomodates shifting. Similarly, building codes in Calif take a little
shaking into account. Between that and choosing stable ground to put your
building on, it's not really a problem. (Even in the BAD quakes things
built on stable ground, do fine; though the houses built on silt fare
poorly).

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> Where I even notice it's shakin'. :-)
>
> >]We only have one earthquake every 90 years of any consequence.
> >
> >define consequence?
>

> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Kandice Seeber
July 14th 03, 02:00 AM
LOL - take a look at this map.
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Cascades/ImageMaps/CascadeRange/cascade_range.html
And then, this one
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/wgmt/pacnw/graphic/a2.gif
Then, this page about fault lines and such
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/wgmt/pacnw/rescasp1.html

Yeesh! But I LOVE it here. :)

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"vj" > wrote in message
> vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Kandice Seeber"
> > :
>
> ]People say that the Pacific NW is one
> ]of the most geologically dangerous places to live in the states - they
keep
> ]telling us we're going to have a huge earthquake here soon, but the
> ]buildings are totally not up to code. And we're surrounded by volcanoes.
> ]We're pretty much screwed when it all happens. It will be like a chain
> ]reaction. Kabloooie!
>
> Kandice - when DH moved out here from Georgia, he was worried about
> earthquakes. so i showed him on the map that there weren't any major
> fault lines around here. we'd been here a few months when i realized
> i had plopped us down right smack between two volcanos. Mt. Shasta
> and Mt. Lassen. plus, there's that one forming down at Mono Lake.
>

> -----------
> @vicki [SnuggleWench]
> (Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
> (Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
> -----------
> The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
> Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

bluemaxx
July 14th 03, 06:15 AM
Dunka, Soozala. :) I understand Bisbee is about an hour away from
Tucson. I wasn't really looking for bead stores tho. Just
wondering what the general area was like in order to relocate there.
--
Linda

"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
: >> Mary, do you have any recommendations for the town of Bisbee,
AZ?
: >> I've read it has a really nice artist's community.
:
: Try this resource when you're looking for bead stores----
: http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/localstores/
:
: Arizona!
: http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/localstores/states/AZ.str.html
: ~~
: Sooz
: -------
: ESBC
: Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
: http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
: One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is
constantly making
: exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne
:

bluemaxx
July 14th 03, 06:57 AM
Thanks so much, Karen. :) Planning a little trip there in the
fall to scope the town out for possible relocation in a few years.
Jerome sounded fun, too. I'll have to see how close they are to
Bisbee.
--
Linda

"Karen_AZ" > wrote in message
[...]

July 14th 03, 05:36 PM
>Thanks so much, Karen. :) Planning a little trip there in the
fall to scope the town out for possible relocation in a few years.
Jerome sounded fun, too. I'll have to see how close they are to
Bisbee.<

Ooooh Linda! Okay, Jerome is rather far from Bisbee (it's northwest of
Phoenix) BUT there's a way cool little town that you really need to
investigate that's still south of Tucson but further west. Grab a map and
follow I-19 south out of Tucson. About 3/4 of the way to the Mexican border
is a little town called Tubac. It's a jewel of a town, and something of a
small artist's colony. There's also a small golf resort there (which was one
of the filming locations for the movie Tin Cup). It's one of my favorite
places to visit. They're building a few new areas up even as we speak, and
prices are pretty reasonable. There are also some great areas just south of
Tucson, like Green Valley (but that's more of a retirement area than
anything else).

Keep in touch about coming out, if ya need a guide. :)

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs
http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/
Ebay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/desertdreamerdesigns
JustBeads: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=DesertDreamer

Dr. Sooz
July 14th 03, 06:29 PM
Cool! We're looking at the southwest in general for relocation in about 10
years ourselves. Winter is harder on me every year, and if there's any stress
in late summer/early fall, I am pretty much out for the count til May (or
later). Kevin very much needs a dry, warm place too.

>Dunka, Soozala. :) I understand Bisbee is about an hour away from
>Tucson. I wasn't really looking for bead stores tho. Just
>wondering what the general area was like in order to relocate there.
>--
>Linda

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 14th 03, 06:30 PM
How're you doing after all your injuries from Costa Rica, Barbara? Are you
mending well?

>Having recently returned from Costa Rica, where I watched
>lava flow down the side of the Arenal volcano at night,

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 14th 03, 07:31 PM
Cool maps! Thanks!

>this list:
>http://www.scecdc.scec.org:3128/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html
>is mind boggling
>
>as is this one - all of the ones for the Bay Area in the last week:
>http://www.scecdc.scec.org:3128/recenteqs/Maps/San_Francisco.html
>
>and the Long Valley Caldera
>http://www.scecdc.scec.org:3128/recenteqs/Maps/Long_Valley.html
>is where the next volcano is expected to form.

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Kalera Stratton
July 15th 03, 01:16 AM
In article >,
Kathy N-V > wrote:

> And the last one was, oh, 97 years ago, no? That would scare me, if San
> Francisco didn't have the most stringent building codes (for earthquakes) in
> the world. When the "Big One" comes again, there will be damage, but nothing
> compared to the catastrophe we'd see if say New York had such an earthquake.

There was kind of a nasty one about 15 years ago, when that double-deck
bridge collapsed and all those people died.

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org

Dr. Sooz
July 15th 03, 01:39 AM
>There was kind of a nasty one about 15 years ago, when that double-deck
>bridge collapsed and all those people died.

Every person in the Bay Area felt it, too, except my stupid idiot ex-husband.
I just *knew* it would skip him, leaving one more Big Experience we didn't
share and would divide us, and I was right. He didn't know anything had
happened til he noticed all the traffic lights were dead -- and so was most of
the radio. Even people in huge semis felt it! Bleh :-P oooo <---barfing
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Kandice Seeber
July 15th 03, 09:41 AM
your ex probably couldn't feel my lit torch on his nekked a$$.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

> Every person in the Bay Area felt it, too, except my stupid idiot
ex-husband.
> I just *knew* it would skip him, leaving one more Big Experience we didn't
> share and would divide us, and I was right. He didn't know anything had
> happened til he noticed all the traffic lights were dead -- and so was
most of
> the radio. Even people in huge semis felt it! Bleh :-P oooo
<---barfing
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Barbara Otterson
July 15th 03, 02:54 PM
On 14 Jul 2003 17:30:25 GMT, (Dr. Sooz)
wrote:

>How're you doing after all your injuries from Costa Rica, Barbara? Are you
>mending well?
>
>>Having recently returned from Costa Rica, where I watched
>>lava flow down the side of the Arenal volcano at night,

Not too bad. I have had no headaches or problems
(other than a few memory things, but I sometimes
get that anyway, from the concussion. The ankle is
another story. The Dr. says to be patient, it will take
3 to 4 months to heal completely. I hate it when I
can't dance.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Sooz
July 15th 03, 08:08 PM
>I hate it when I
>can't dance.

I love this. What a great line.

I do, too, actually -- one of the things I miss most about having spinal
arthritis is I can't really dance anymore. I used to be a dancing fool.
Horseback riding is missed too. And it's bloody difficult to walk on sand, but
I try anyway! :-)
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 15th 03, 08:12 PM
-
>Kandice Seeber

Haw! HAAAWWW! OMG HAW!!!! Haw haw haw haw haw haw!!!!!!!!!!
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Barbara Otterson
July 16th 03, 04:04 AM
On 15 Jul 2003 19:08:11 GMT, (Dr. Sooz)
wrote:

>>I hate it when I
>>can't dance.
>
>I love this. What a great line.
>
>I do, too, actually -- one of the things I miss most about having spinal
>arthritis is I can't really dance anymore. I used to be a dancing fool.
>Horseback riding is missed too. And it's bloody difficult to walk on sand, but
>I try anyway! :-)

I keep questioning if my physical problems aren't the real reason
I took the header off the horse in CR. I had been having balance
problems, but we had been riding for over 3 hours when I fell.
It would help if I could remember what happened......
I know I shouldn't do stuff like horseback riding and
whitewater rafting in my "condition", but I just hate to
give up the things I love to do. But that was the first
thing out of my pain specialist's mouth when I told him
about the fall -- "What were you doing on a horse?"
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

Kandice Seeber
July 16th 03, 05:41 AM
<<<<innocent look>>>> Was it something I said? :)

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> >your ex probably couldn't feel my lit torch on his nekked a$$.
> -
> >Kandice Seeber
>
> Haw! HAAAWWW! OMG HAW!!!! Haw haw haw haw haw haw!!!!!!!!!!
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 16th 03, 07:03 PM
><<<<innocent look>>>> Was it something I said? :)

I wish I could see you do the torch that way!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

melinda
July 17th 03, 02:10 AM
Kalera Stratton > wrote:

> I like how one of Portland's biggest parks and most desirable
> neighborhoods is on top of a volcano.

> Do any other cities have volcanos within the city limits?

All this makes me damn glad to live in Oz, which is relatively stable!
The only major quakes are out in the middle of no where (West Oz/
Northern Territory desert area). 5.5, despite the damage it did to
Newcastle, is not a big quake. As far as I'm aware there are no acitve
volcanos any where in Oz, the closest are in New Zealand and PNG.

--
Melinda
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol>

Google