PDA

View Full Version : Need tumbling

Dr. Sooz
July 7th 03, 11:58 PM
I've got a very small batch of PMC pieces that need to go through a tumbler.
At this time, I won't be spending the time on PMC work that I'd need to in
order to buy a tumbler myself (nor do I have the $$ to buy one). But I'm still
itching to use these little silver pieces! I'm so excited!

Would anyone here be willing to send them through your own tumbler? I'm happy
to pay for it. They're silver-blacked and just need to be polished up. I
don't want to send them to anyone I don't know, so I'm not asking
lurkers.......TIA~~
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 02:44 AM
Where'd you get it? I am in the market, too...

Deirdre

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:45:59 -0700, vj > wrote:

>i've even already go the stainless steel shot in it and everything.

Diana Curtis
July 8th 03, 02:45 AM
I dont have a tumbler.. but.. when I read the subject line I thought... hey,
I need a tumble too! Time to let husby know eh?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> I've got a very small batch of PMC pieces that need to go through a
tumbler.
> At this time, I won't be spending the time on PMC work that I'd need to in
> order to buy a tumbler myself (nor do I have the $$ to buy one). But I'm
still
> itching to use these little silver pieces! I'm so excited!
>
> Would anyone here be willing to send them through your own tumbler? I'm
happy
> to pay for it. They're silver-blacked and just need to be polished up. I
> don't want to send them to anyone I don't know, so I'm not asking
> lurkers.......TIA~~
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Christina Peterson
July 8th 03, 02:46 AM
Hi Sooz,

I've just been pondering this same subject. I could have my silver tumbled
where I took my lessons, but when I have to take stuff out to get it done I
tend to avoid doing that work. And the tumblers that are suitable are in
the $300 to $500 range.

Actually I've been wanting to start a thread on PMC.

I think I'll do that now.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> I've got a very small batch of PMC pieces that need to go through a
tumbler.
> At this time, I won't be spending the time on PMC work that I'd need to in
> order to buy a tumbler myself (nor do I have the $$ to buy one). But I'm
still
> itching to use these little silver pieces! I'm so excited!
>
> Would anyone here be willing to send them through your own tumbler? I'm
happy
> to pay for it. They're silver-blacked and just need to be polished up. I
> don't want to send them to anyone I don't know, so I'm not asking
> lurkers.......TIA~~
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

BeckiBead
July 8th 03, 02:48 AM
>hey,
>I need a tumble too! Time to let husby know eh?
>Diana

I really, really, like you.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Nicole @ Black Cat Beads
July 8th 03, 03:41 AM
Sooz.... I have a small rock tumbler I can send you to use for a while!

Nicole

Dr. Sooz wrote:
> I've got a very small batch of PMC pieces that need to go through a tumbler.
> At this time, I won't be spending the time on PMC work that I'd need to in
> order to buy a tumbler myself (nor do I have the $$ to buy one). But I'm still
> itching to use these little silver pieces! I'm so excited!
>
> Would anyone here be willing to send them through your own tumbler? I'm happy
> to pay for it. They're silver-blacked and just need to be polished up. I
> don't want to send them to anyone I don't know, so I'm not asking
> lurkers.......TIA~~
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

--
Nicole
Black Cat Beads

eBay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/blackcatbeads

I never met a bead I did not like! : )

Tante Lina
July 8th 03, 04:41 AM
Christina Peterson wrote in message <1057628817.763657@prawn>...
>Hi Sooz,
>
>I've just been pondering this same subject. I could have my silver tumbled
>where I took my lessons, but when I have to take stuff out to get it done I
>tend to avoid doing that work. And the tumblers that are suitable are in
>the $300 to $500 range.
>
>Actually I've been wanting to start a thread on PMC.
>
>I think I'll do that now.

I got something from PMCsupply.com that was only $30, but it turned out to
be a toy, really. I'm probably going to return it or sell it and try this
one: http://canofenley.com/rpm-cart/product.phtml?ProdID=0320 which is twice
as much but looks like the real thing. What I can't believe is the price of
stainless steel shot!

* TL *

Karen_AZ
July 8th 03, 04:53 AM
You can get a ver nice SMALL tumbler at Harbor Freight for about $30 (I
think, it might have been less). It's not as fast as some of the fancier
ones, but it gets the job done. All you need is tumbling media (steel shot
or walnut hulls) from Rio Grande.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Karen_AZ
July 8th 03, 04:54 AM
>I dont have a tumbler.. but.. when I read the subject line I thought...
hey,
I need a tumble too! Time to let husby know eh?<

LOL I thought that too! But, um, well...I had a really really good birthday
weekend. <GGG> Amazing what some desert air and having the kids 2000 miles
away will do for you!

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs
http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/
Ebay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/desertdreamerdesigns
JustBeads: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=DesertDreamer

Jalynne
July 8th 03, 05:25 AM
I have just one thing to say.... ROFLOL

--
Jalynne
or look at my layouts at

"Diana Curtis" > wrote in message
> I dont have a tumbler.. but.. when I read the subject line I thought... hey,
> I need a tumble too! Time to let husby know eh?
> Diana
>
> --
> http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
> "Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> > I've got a very small batch of PMC pieces that need to go through a
> tumbler.
> > At this time, I won't be spending the time on PMC work that I'd need to in
> > order to buy a tumbler myself (nor do I have the $$ to buy one). But I'm
> still
> > itching to use these little silver pieces! I'm so excited!
> >
> > Would anyone here be willing to send them through your own tumbler? I'm
> happy
> > to pay for it. They're silver-blacked and just need to be polished up. I
> > don't want to send them to anyone I don't know, so I'm not asking
> > lurkers.......TIA~~
> > ~~
> > Sooz
> > -------
> > ESBC
> > Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> > http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> > One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> > exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Tante Lina
July 8th 03, 06:03 AM
Karen_AZ wrote in message ...
>> What I can't believe is the price of stainless steel shot!<
>
>I was talking to some really nice folks at the Flagstaff Gem & Mineral show
>this weekend, and they recommended crushed walnut hulls instead. Showed me
>pieces done with both the walnuts and SS shot, and I couldn't tell the
>difference.

When I worked in a production shop, we used walnut hulls, but I would not
say they gave the bright finish that steel shot does. We had to do
considerable buffing to get them shiny. I was surprised at class to see
they came out of the steel shot bright enough you can just polish them.
Maybe that was the burnishing compound the instructor used.

* TL *

Dr. Sooz
July 8th 03, 06:24 AM
Oh yeah. That, too. :-)

>when I read the subject line I thought... hey,
>I need a tumble too! Time to let husby know eh?

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 8th 03, 06:26 AM
Oh yeah! Boy do I love doing PMC. It is so, *so* amazing.

>Actually I've been wanting to start a thread on PMC.
>
>I think I'll do that now.
>
>Tina

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 8th 03, 06:29 AM
You are all sweeties. I already arranged to have it done before any of you
responded (someone emailed me). I thank each and every one of you. Wait til
you see the stuff I made! Especially in my "PMC tubes" class last week......I
can't wait to get those pieces back from the kiln, which belongs to the teacher
(who fired 'em for us). I will take pictures. I'm so excited, I'm so excited,
I'm so excited!
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 8th 03, 06:45 AM
>Precious Metal Clay. When you fire it, the "clay" part burns up and you're
>left with fine silver.

It *rocks*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 8th 03, 07:18 AM
Precious metal clay (you will KLUNK):

Sperling, Barbara: Beadunique
http://www.beadunique.com/default.htm

Valentine, Shahasp
http://www.precieux.com/
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Karen_AZ
July 8th 03, 01:42 PM
It takes about a week to tumble with the walnut hulls.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs
http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/
Ebay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/desertdreamerdesigns
JustBeads: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=DesertDreamer

Steve & Susan Wright
July 8th 03, 03:26 PM
If you are doing wire work do not use walnut shells unless you want to pick
and pick! Walnut hulls also will not work harden the wire.
Susan W
"Karen_AZ" > wrote in message
> You can get a ver nice SMALL tumbler at Harbor Freight for about $30 (I
> think, it might have been less). It's not as fast as some of the fancier
> ones, but it gets the job done. All you need is tumbling media (steel shot
> or walnut hulls) from Rio Grande.
>
> --
> KarenK
> Desert Dreamer Designs
> http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/
> Ebay Store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/desertdreamerdesigns
> JustBeads: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=DesertDreamer

Tante Lina
July 8th 03, 04:16 PM
Karen_AZ wrote in message <9%yOa.147220$Dr3.134385@fed1read02>...
>It takes about a week to tumble with the walnut hulls.

Thanks Karen. - TL

Tante Lina
July 8th 03, 04:16 PM
Steve & Susan Wright wrote in message ...
>Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5 pounds
>is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler.

Hi Susan,

How much does IJS want for their stainless steel shot? Rio wants 20.00 a
lb.

* TL *

Barbara Forbes-Lyons
July 8th 03, 04:39 PM
Actually you can tumble polymer clay - instead of shot, you use tiny pieces
of high-grit sandpaper.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeads:penguintrax

<0
/O\
<><>

"vj" > wrote in message
> vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Tante Lina"
> > :
>
> ]PMC
> ????????
> okay - this is a new abbreviation y'all have come up with while i was
> gone. the only thing i can think of is PolyMer Clay, and i can't see
> putting that in a tumbler..................
>

> -----------
> @vicki [SnuggleWench]
> (Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
> (Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
> -----------
> The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
> Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Barbara Forbes-Lyons
July 8th 03, 06:40 PM
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sanding_tumbling.htm

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeads:penguintrax

<0
/O\
<><>

"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> I've got a very small batch of PMC pieces that need to go through a
tumbler.
> At this time, I won't be spending the time on PMC work that I'd need to in
> order to buy a tumbler myself (nor do I have the $$ to buy one). But I'm
still
> itching to use these little silver pieces! I'm so excited!
>
> Would anyone here be willing to send them through your own tumbler? I'm
happy
> to pay for it. They're silver-blacked and just need to be polished up. I
> don't want to send them to anyone I don't know, so I'm not asking
> lurkers.......TIA~~
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 07:13 PM
Especially the garbage disposal, I suspect. The cat dumped a flower
pot into the sink a couple of weeks ago, and getting the small rocks
that were part of the potting mix out of the garbage disposal was an
adventure.

What I have read suggests rinsing it in a sieve, which makes sense.

OK, I'll do an online search for it. Just wondered if I could get a
hint from an experienced user :-)

Deirdre

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:41:11 -0700, vj > wrote:

>you have to be careful,
>when you're rinsing things off, tho, not to drop any down the sink!

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 07:36 PM
Is that for polishing only, or can the hulls work-harden wirework as
well? That is my main purpose in trying that method. Polish and
strengthen in one step... sounds good to me.

Deirdre

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:57:09 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
> wrote:

>> What I can't believe is the price of stainless steel shot!<
>
>I was talking to some really nice folks at the Flagstaff Gem & Mineral show
>this weekend, and they recommended crushed walnut hulls instead. Showed me
>pieces done with both the walnuts and SS shot, and I couldn't tell the
>difference.

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 07:39 PM
Can't wait to see the results of what you learn there...

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:55:23 GMT, "S. B."
> wrote:

>I'll be off at a one week PMC
>course next week,

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 08:23 PM
<boggle> How do you get five pounds of shot into a three-pound
tumbler? Or is there some kind of mystical math involved?

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:25:14 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
> wrote:

>Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5 pounds
>is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler. Total shot
>and pieces should be about 2/3 full in tumbler and add water or burnishing
>compound to cover. If using water a drop of dawn works well. Never use
>amonia in the tumbler!
>
>Susan W
>
>"Deirdre S." > wrote in message
>> Where'd you get it? I am in the market, too...
>>
>> Deirdre
>>
>> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:45:59 -0700, vj > wrote:
>>
>> >i've even already go the stainless steel shot in it and everything.

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 08:24 PM
Thanks. That's what I suspected.

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:26:30 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
> wrote:

>If you are doing wire work do not use walnut shells unless you want to pick
>and pick! Walnut hulls also will not work harden the wire.
>Susan W

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 08:31 PM
Well, I'll be jiggered.

Could you send sheet-sandpaper through a cross-cut paper shredder to
get the outcome you need for this? Since I don't do polyclay stuff,
the question is theoretical for me ... but it sounds like it could
save PC artists a whole lot of manual labor.

Are there drawbacks to this method that prevent it from being useful
for some kinds of pieces? Sounds like it might only work well for
simple forms with smooth surfaces, rather than detailed, dimensional
pieces.

Deirdre

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:39:22 -0400, "Barbara Forbes-Lyons"
> wrote:

>Actually you can tumble polymer clay - instead of shot, you use tiny pieces
>of high-grit sandpaper.

Christina Peterson
July 8th 03, 08:32 PM
I can't remember exactly why hulls weren't recommended to us. It may have
been because pieces could jam into the silver work. But they were very
specific about steel shot.

Tina

"Deirdre S." > wrote in message
> Is that for polishing only, or can the hulls work-harden wirework as
> well? That is my main purpose in trying that method. Polish and
> strengthen in one step... sounds good to me.
>
> Deirdre
>
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:57:09 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
> > wrote:
>
> >> What I can't believe is the price of stainless steel shot!<
> >
> >I was talking to some really nice folks at the Flagstaff Gem & Mineral
show
> >this weekend, and they recommended crushed walnut hulls instead. Showed
me
> >pieces done with both the walnuts and SS shot, and I couldn't tell the
> >difference.

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 08:45 PM
Thanks. That answered my question about the method. And a whole lot of
other questions I didn't think to ask ;-)

Deirdre

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:40:26 -0400, "Barbara Forbes-Lyons"
> wrote:

>http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sanding_tumbling.htm

Deirdre S.
July 8th 03, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know once I decide on a source,
in case others are in the market, too.

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:27:46 -0700, vj > wrote:

>vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Deirdre S.
> :
>
>]Especially the garbage disposal, I suspect.
>
>exactly!
>
>]What I have read suggests rinsing it in a sieve, which makes sense.
>
>also, some of the shot seemed to stick inside the wire in some of my
>pieces, so i've learned to check carefully - it can fall out at
>unexpected times.
>
>]OK, I'll do an online search for it. Just wondered if I could get a
>]hint from an experienced user :-)
>
>it seems to run ABOUT $20/pound. and for my tumbler, i needed two
>pounds. but i'll never have to replace it, unless i get careless and
>spill it where i can't recover it.
>
>my local supply store [none of the hardware stores worked on this] has
>a really THICK catalog from a supplier - and for the life of me, i
>can't remember the company name, but it starts with an "A" [Alpha?].
>it's the first place they look when they are asked for something
>unusual. that was also the best price they found for me.
>

>-----------
>@vicki [SnuggleWench]
>(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
>(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
>-----------
>The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
>Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Steve & Susan Wright
July 9th 03, 01:45 PM
And about an hour with stainless steel shot
Susan W

"Tante Lina" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> Karen_AZ wrote in message <9%yOa.147220$Dr3.134385@fed1read02>...
> >It takes about a week to tumble with the walnut hulls.
>
> Thanks Karen. - TL

Steve & Susan Wright
July 9th 03, 01:46 PM
I bought 5 for a friend the other day and it was around 60. I don't have
the catalog out now
Susan W

"Tante Lina" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> Steve & Susan Wright wrote in message ...
> >Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5
pounds
> >is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler.
>
> Hi Susan,
>
> How much does IJS want for their stainless steel shot? Rio wants 20.00 a
> lb.
>
> * TL *

Steve & Susan Wright
July 9th 03, 01:52 PM
The shot is denser than most items. THe barrel of the tumbler is a simply a
liquid plus average stone volume I susspect with lots of water around stone.
Stone weights much less than shot.. If you think 1 lb can like coffee and
then compare that to 1 lb can of corned beef you will get the concept. 1 lb
is a weight measure and what volume eguals a lb can vary.

Susan W

"Deirdre S." > wrote in message
> <boggle> How do you get five pounds of shot into a three-pound
> tumbler? Or is there some kind of mystical math involved?
>
> Deirdre
>
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:25:14 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
> > wrote:
>
> >Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5
pounds
> >is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler. Total shot
> >and pieces should be about 2/3 full in tumbler and add water or
burnishing
> >compound to cover. If using water a drop of dawn works well. Never use
> >amonia in the tumbler!
> >
> >Susan W
> >
> >"Deirdre S." > wrote in message
> >> Where'd you get it? I am in the market, too...
> >>
> >> Deirdre

Deirdre S.
July 9th 03, 06:38 PM
Thanks... this makes perfect sense.

Deirdre

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:52:57 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
> wrote:

>The shot is denser than most items. THe barrel of the tumbler is a simply a
>liquid plus average stone volume I susspect with lots of water around stone.
>Stone weights much less than shot.. If you think 1 lb can like coffee and
>then compare that to 1 lb can of corned beef you will get the concept. 1 lb
>is a weight measure and what volume eguals a lb can vary.
>
>Susan W
>
>"Deirdre S." > wrote in message
>> <boggle> How do you get five pounds of shot into a three-pound
>> tumbler? Or is there some kind of mystical math involved?
>>
>> Deirdre
>>
>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:25:14 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5
>pounds
>> >is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler. Total shot
>> >and pieces should be about 2/3 full in tumbler and add water or
>burnishing
>> >compound to cover. If using water a drop of dawn works well. Never use
>> >amonia in the tumbler!
>> >
>> >Susan W

Google